Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.  This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Home » Forums » General zApp Discussion
slicertool
Magician

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2004 9:52 pm   

Searching & Virtual Folders

A friend of mine is looking for a new email program for his work.

Right now, there is only one application (and only on linux) that he can find that does what he needs it to do on the volume that he needs it and he would like to switch to windows.

He handles abuse reports for the internet bandwidth provider of several major ISP's in the area (he's technically telco) and gets about 500-600 abuse emails a day and needs to be able to do fulltext searches on both messages and headers.

Another feature in that program that he'd like to see in a windows app is Virtual folders. It doesn't technically move the original mail anywhere, but allows a filtered view of selected mails. (For those that use Kazaa or similar, think of the folder view in the library where it organizes things by metadata and filetype... but instead you get to drop things where you want them with the higher level folder being able to see all the contents of the lower level folders.)

Just a couple of ideas I thought I'd toss out there after hearing from a friend who is also frustrated with Outlook.
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2004 6:03 pm   

Both of those features are on my planned list for eMobius eventually.

You'll probably see Virtual Folders sooner than "fast" fulltext searching. Real fulltext searching requires maintaining an index of all your email which probably isn't something I'll be doing in the early versions. You'll be able to search, but it will do it the slow way of either going through your messages sequentially, or, if you have an SQL-compliant datastore, it will do an SQL QUERY for the search and let the backend database handle it.

But Virtual Folders is easy to implement with my current architecture, so you'll probably see that in an early beta.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Home » Forums » General zApp Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: