Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
Post new topic  Reply to topic     Home » Forums » Finished MUD Scripts Goto page 1, 2  Next
Larkin
Wizard

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2004 4:01 pm   

Achaean Curing Project

There is a group of Achaeans working on an open source combat system for Achaea. We decided to start a project on SourceForge and utilize the forums, bug tracking, etc, provided by them to help us in our development. So far, we have two usable modules, one of which is being actively developed and supported. More modules are on the way, to give you additional options and ideas for your own systems.

We ask only that you consider contributing to the project itself or donating to the developers of the project for their time spent on helping you. We need lots more input and trigger lines, so please post your suggestions!

http://www.sourceforge.net/projects/achaeacure

Thanks,
Larkin D'Ischai
Kronas
Wanderer

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2004 6:29 pm   

Hi, UMMMM, I tried the system and there some syntax errors, showing up in the class folder under class scripts? I have installed it as you written. Any ideas ?
Lirril
Novice

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2004 12:44 pm   

I've done an import on a new character using 7.05 and it worked ok. Have you changed any of your special character preferences from the default or anything unusual?
Kronas
Wanderer

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2004 4:51 pm   

Nah, I selected new settings, and imported the system, (offline)Then went online to try it, with no other settings, And the apply mending and the pipe has gone cold etc...in a loop.
kyishi
Novice

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2004 10:32 pm   

Is it me, or would it be totaly pointless creating a Achaea curing project, that is freely available? even if you were to sell it!.

What would be the point if everyone could cure? How would fights be one? People would be sitting there curing and not have to attack, and never die!

And half the fun is learning to cure yourself, if its done by someone elses system that you did not make, it misses the point.

The people who make this system would just be getting used, by any old person to cure, and would take the fun away from Achaea!

Anyone else have there views on this [?]

PS - Sorry if this is in the wrong forum but the subject had allready started. Smile
Kronas
Wanderer

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2004 2:32 pm   

ok ok I have reload this sytem from scratch. Bye Bye my settings....
SO now it seems ....only seems to be going ok, Except...
How do you turn the lite pipe message OFF?
Larkin
Wizard

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2004 2:34 am   

Just to clarify further...

1. This project is provided freely so that those who cannot code their own curing scripts have an equal chance of defending themselves. If you have fun writing your own script to cure things, this is not for you. If you are one who is selling your own system to make a huge profit and buy an obscene number of artifacts, this system is not for you.

2. This system is, and will always be, purely for defense. You figure out the offense stuff for yourself.

3. Support for this project is not free. If it was free, everyone would be asking questions and I would never have time for my own pursuits. Customizations, additions, etc, come at a price. If you have found a reproducible bug, submit it. However, if you simply have not bothered to read the forums, readme file, or zMUD help texts, please don't ask me for assistance unless you're prepared to offer something in return. I simply do not have the time or energy to help everyone.

4. If your copy of zMUD is old and/or unregistered, do not even THINK of asking for support. Buy the client and upgrade. It's worth it.

Sorry for the rants, but I've had a rough week.

Thanks to all those who have contributed to the project! Your knowledge is greatly appreciated.
kyishi
Novice

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2004 2:08 pm   

That is all well and good that this system is for people that cannot code, but why not learn it, i am not the cleverest person in the world and didn't have a clue about scripting before i started but i pushed on and learnt it.

Ok, you say this system is for defense, so lets say you go and attack someone, what is the point in attacking them if they can just simply defend themselves and cure without having to use and skills or spending anytime making a system yourself.

This system is free, so anyone can acess it and use it, thats whats makes it worse then ones you have to pay for, as not everyone is willing to pay for a script so only the odd few people would have it.
If this systems does get up and running and can cure perfectly would woudld be the point, there would be no skill to curing and any old newbie could download it and buy a few herbs and salves and be able to fight.

Kyishi
remus
Wanderer

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2004 1:51 pm   

Ok I thought I should have a word here.

Lets look at FFA systems/Defence systems. There are plenty of players out there (points at a certain large Monk) that ask for LARGE amounts of credits to do what these guys are trying to do for free.

This defence system (which I have tried) is far from perfect but it is still a great starting point for people to expand on and learn more. As to your issue of people standing around just healing afflictions and not doing anything else all I can say is obviously you have never been venomlocked or tag teamed in an FFA.

This system just helps, believe me even with this you can still die easily.
kyishi
Novice

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2004 2:02 pm   

Maybee thety will still be able to die, but the point is 1 on 1 it would make fighting alot worse, as they would most likely be able to cure afflictions.
And yes i have been teemed in and out of an arena, and having a system thats works does help and can stop me from being v-locked, i don't beleive i have ever been fully v-locked beacuse of my skill set i can get out of it, but a system does help with these situations, and remember what stops you from making your own system??
kyishi
Novice

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2004 2:16 pm   

This is for remus again, something you missed is that only a few mugs like you will actualy buy a system,so therefore only a few people would have them, which is allright as people who do useualy can't realy fight that well anyway.
But if you make a system that is freely available anyone can get it and would be able to cure without even having the slightest idea how, so basicly they would be an NPC, which is worse then making your own system since you use your own knoledge of curing to make it.
Larkin
Wizard

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2004 3:35 pm   

As has already been stated, this system is far from perfect. It is a workable system that should save the lives of people who use it and possess and full set of herbs, salves, etc. There are still many ways to fool any system, I don't care what anyone tells you about how theirs is perfect.

Also, this system takes into account on the most basic curing mechanisms. If you have other guild-specific skills that allow you to cure things, I don't care. It's up to you to work that part out, since this system is as generic as possible.

If you don't like the ACP, please don't use it or recommend it to your friends. Feel free to develop your own system or purchase one from someone else or even just avoid combat altogether.
Tycho Erazi

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2004 2:22 pm   

Yeah, no matter how long you work on a system, it will never be 'perfect'.
Larkin
Wizard

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2004 1:36 am   

The Achaean Curing Project has just released R2!

It has improved failsafes, more triggers, defense tracking for several classes, a configuration wizard for easy setup of many settings, and more. If you've been following the ACP, please check out this latest version.

http://achaeacure.sf.net
Foilhat

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2004 8:49 pm   

quote:
Originally posted by Larkin

The Achaean Curing Project has just released R2!

It has improved failsafes, more triggers, defense tracking for several classes, a configuration wizard for easy setup of many settings, and more. If you've been following the ACP, please check out this latest version.

http://achaeacure.sf.net

*grumble* Lost my first reply....

Anyway, WOW! That's very cool. Thank you, Larkin and everyone else involved. I am wondering, though, if it's possible to define a hot key to hide the ailments panel because it takes a lot of screen real estate in my crowded layout. I don't want to get rid of it altogether because it's going to come in handy. Using a drop-down list instead of buttons would also work. I have done a cursory search but have come up short. If you are able to point me to documents that would help me achieve either of those UI tweaks, I would appreciate it.

Thanks again!
Foilhat

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2004 1:22 am   

Perhaps I should eat some goldenseal... Your buttons are, naturally, grouped neatly into classes so I can just enable/disable the ACP|Toolbar|Afflictions class to show/hide the panel, right? Will that have any unforseen side effects?
worlo

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2004 9:00 am   

To all giving larkin a hard time on bugs and things that don't work.

Consider the effort involved in developing a system as advanced as ACP and then deciding to give it away. Larkin is obviously very skilled when it comes to scripting zMUD and he has created a system that he (probably) likes. Bugs are unavoidable when working on a system as large as this, that is a programming fact. Also zMUD itself contains some bugs and issues it is impossible to test this all yourself. So if you find out something isn't working right log your fight and hand over the EDITED logs to larkin or better yet find the bug attempt to fix it and tell him about it. Don't complain so much, instead try to do something about it.

OK done ranting now

I am a programmer myself and as such am not going to use another persons system. I am working on my own system and have used ACP as a great reference. Looking and analysing how other people solve certain issues can help you learn very much. That is also essentailly the goal of this topic so I can only thank Larkin for a nice resource of code and triggers.

Thanks!
Larkin
Wizard

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2004 9:39 pm   

Foilhat wrote:
Perhaps I should eat some goldenseal... Your buttons are, naturally, grouped neatly into classes so I can just enable/disable the ACP|Toolbar|Afflictions class to show/hide the panel, right? Will that have any unforseen side effects?

Disabling the folder to hide the buttons is a perfectly acceptable way to make them disappear. It has no unwanted side effects. In fact, in R3 the affliction gauges are gone all together. They slowed the system down and I wanted to optimize for speed and efficiency.

If you've had problems with R2, they're almost all fixed in R3. I'm still improving and adding to the ACP! Also, donations and contributions are always appreciated... Cool
jaromir

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2004 6:15 pm   

I've heard about a version of ACP called ACP_XL, that's still not officially released. Is there a download where I can try it out?
worlo

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2004 12:19 pm   

jaromir wrote:
I've heard about a version of ACP called ACP_XL, that's still not officially released. Is there a download where I can try it out?

You can get it from the CVS repository using for example WinCVS, get the ACP_xl folder from the CVSROOT. Look at the link on the Sourceforge website for more info on CVS
Larkin
Wizard

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2004 3:24 pm   

The ACP XL has been officially released now. There have been a few minor updates after the release, but most of it involves adding bashing triggers and a couple of small bug fixes.

I'm basically retired from the ACP for now, as I've moved on to Lusternia. I'm working on an LCP, but until I get a lot more combat skills and sparring experience, it's going to remain a closed source project.
Zaltan
Beginner

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2004 10:48 am   

Larkin wrote:
I'm basically retired from the ACP for now, as I've moved on to Lusternia. I'm working on an LCP, but until I get a lot more combat skills and sparring experience, it's going to remain a closed source project.

Have any idea abouts when the LCP will be released?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2004 6:27 pm   

Is there anyone else maintaining/working on the ACP_XL?
Larkin
Wizard

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2004 4:04 pm   

Roncli maintained the ACP for a couple months after I retired, but now he has retired, also. I still support it, but I'm motivated more by donations than generosity now (as far as Achaea support goes). Sorry, but I don't have time/energy to devote to so many people. I'm glad it's wonderfully popular, and I keep hoping that more folks show interest in continuing the project. Open source really works best when there's more than one person developing the code base. Razz

If you're a Lusternian, I'm selling the LCP for 30 credits, and that includes support. Send an e-mail to larkin.dischai@gmail.com and tell me your character name/class/etc.
Peeka

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 10:50 pm   

*bump*

How is the LCP going? Is there a free unsupported available out there for those of us who don't have credits to pay with?
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » Finished MUD Scripts All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: