Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.  This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Home » Forums » zExplorer Discussion
Thaco

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2004 4:25 am   

10093:Successful WSAStartup not yet performed

I get this message when I try to updated my data files. I've uninstalled a coupla times with no success.

Appreciate any help

-T
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2004 5:33 am   

WSAStartup is part of the Windows network system, so it sounds like something wrong with your network or something. Has it worked before or is this the first time you tried it, and what version of Windows are you using. Also, are you talking about AC Explorer or zExplorer and if using AC Explorer have you updated it to point to the ACSpedia database correctly?

Always try to post as much information as possible when reporting a problem.
Rorso
Wizard

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2004 11:50 am   

quote:
Originally posted by Thaco

I get this message when I try to updated my data files. I've uninstalled a coupla times with no success.

Appreciate any help

-T

Are you running any internet enabled application at the same time as you run AC Explorer? Also are you running any networking tool like etheral?

The WSAStartup error message means that either WSACleanup() has been called too many times, or WSAStartup() failed when ACExplorer started. I remember that in atleast Win98 you usually didn't have to do a WSAStartup if some other internet enabled application was running. However I doubt AC Explorer doesn't do this properly but it sounds odd that it didn't write out an error message that WSAStartup failed.
Thaco

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2004 2:34 pm   

Zugg - Kind thanks for the quick reply. Smile I'm running Windows XP behind a linksys router. It has worked before, but not recently. I think the last successful update was June of last year. It is "ACExplorer" (not zExplorer)
I'm not certain about the ACSpedia database. I've tried the default (having redownloaded ACExplorer just yesterday) and also the http://www.clarkzoo.org/asheronscall/explorer/places.dat address indicated in your FAQ section for the 'free' version. (I am a registered user)

Could it be my router? I'm running with a default config. That is, I've not deliberately closed or redirected any ports.

Rorso - My thanks to you also. Not running any "internet enabled application" nor any networking tools.

quote:
Originally posted by Zugg

WSAStartup is part of the Windows network system, so it sounds like something wrong with your network or something. Has it worked before or is this the first time you tried it, and what version of Windows are you using. Also, are you talking about AC Explorer or zExplorer and if using AC Explorer have you updated it to point to the ACSpedia database correctly?

Always try to post as much information as possible when reporting a problem.

Rorso
Wizard

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2004 3:19 pm   

quote:
Originally posted by Thaco
Rorso - My thanks to you also. Not running any "internet enabled application" nor any networking tools.

That you aren't running any internet enabled applications might be the problem. Try to update while having icq running or some other persistent connection like a file download in internet explorer. Like I mentioned above in Win98 you didn't use to have to call WSAStartup() if some file download or something like that was going on. It is possible WinXP behaves like this as well and that ACExplorer doesn't properly(but unlikely) call WSAStartup. It is when the first application calls WSAStartup the networking library is activated.

Perhaps you had icq running or something like that last time you did an update?
Thaco

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2004 3:34 pm   

Thanks Rorso. I'll try it with YIM running when I get home this afternoon
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2004 8:30 pm   

Also do a search for WSOCK32.DLL and make sure some other application hasn't installed some other version of this library that might be conflicting with the normal Windows software. I've never ever heard of getting this message on Windows XP before. I'm afraid you might be looking at reinstalling Windows.

But before you do that, also run Windows Updater and make sure you have all of the latest patches and updates for Windows.

You shouldn't need to run AC Explorer with any other network application though.
Thaco

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2004 3:07 pm   

Tried with YIM running last night, no good. I checked my wsock32.dll file, but had no idea if it had been 'replaced' or not. Ultimately I gave up and downloaded zExplorer. Updates appear to run successfully from there. That is, I get no error and it appears to perform a download. I noticed though, in just a casual glance over the map, that the 'caul' area doesn't seem to be updated so I'm not sure what that's about. Will spend more time messing with it tonite. Think what I'll do though is install AC on my laptop and then install ACExplorer there and see how it goes. It's a recent (and clean) load so maybe I won't have the problems there.

Again my thanks to both of you for your time and suggestions.

-T
Incazzarsi

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2004 8:29 pm   

I get the same exact message. On this particular machine I'm running Windows 2000 (don't laugh it's an old machine) to a LinkSys router. This is the only laptop that doesn't connect to the network. Five others do, running Win XP and/or Win 2K.
This only recently started to happen. Not sure why, but nothing on the machine has changed.
jstnorv

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 2:39 pm   Found a fix that worked for me

I had the same exact problem and finally found a fix. Here is the link for the message board I got the fix from:
http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.windowsxp.network_web/browse_thread/thread/85a1a9f2eb6cad3e/65dcd716dea2d2cd?hide_quotes=no#msg_65dcd716dea2d2cd

And here is the text:
This could be a Winsock catalog error

I have traced several of these problems to improperly configured winsock
LSPs. Run "winmsd" and go to Components/Network/Protocol. Look at the
names in the list, anything with "MSAFD" in it or the "RSVP xxx Service
Provider" should be fine. Anything else is suspect, and uninstalling the
owning program might help.

If that fails or your provider list is empty, you may need to rebuild the
catalog from scratch. The following instructions will rebuild your catalog
for TCP/IP. If you are using any other transports (If you don't know, then
you probably aren't) then you will have to reinstall them as well.

1. Backup and delete the following registry keys

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Winsock
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Winsock2

2. Reboot

3. Go to the network connections folder, right click the icon for your
network connection, and select properties.

4. Click install, choose "protocol", and click "add..."

5. Click "Have Disk...", enter "\windows\inf", click OK

6. Select "Internet Protocol (TCP/IP), click OK

7. When the process in complete, reboot

--

Ken Wickes [MSFT]
This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

"David Benedict" <anonym...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Home » Forums » zExplorer Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: