Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
Post new topic  Reply to topic     Home » Forums » zMUD General Discussion Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
undergod Posted: Sun Sep 22, 2002 3:05 am
ZMud and Linux?
nadav

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2004 10:05 pm   

I just got zMUD to run on my lunar-linux machine yesterday. Here's what I did..
Using Wine 20040505, and fake_windows as Frankscorner's wine app configured it. I also used Frankscorner's app to install DCOM.

I downloaded a zipfile that contained the ie5setup.exe and all the files it needs to install (The installer by itself wouldn't get the files downloaded), then I just used the installer through wine to install it.

After that I downloaded MDAC and Jet4 from www.zuggsoft.com/data, and both installed.

Then I just downloaded the zmud installer and installed it!
Daagar
Magician

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2004 1:03 am   

How annoying... I never have gotten mdac to install right in wine :P
Dormouse

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2004 7:49 pm   

Has anyone had any success getting zmud to run from a windows install?

As in it is installed along with much mappage and so forth on my windows d drive. And i would like to be able to wine that instance instead of copying progress back and forth when i need to use windows vs linux or whatever.

I am using 7.05, and wining to the intro screen is no problem that way, but it insists jet isn't installed after that, which is odd considering it pretty much obviously is as it works under windows. So i'm thinking it's just a matter of letting wine know somehow where to find jet.

Any thoughts?
blongden

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2004 10:46 am   

Hi,

Just so you know - I have managed to install zMud 7.05 on Linux using crossover office (www.codeweavers.com/products/crossover/). This is a commercial product - though it comes with a 30 day trial version that is unrestricted (So you can test that it works before shelling out your hard earned cash!). If you want to setup zMud on your Linux install this is the quickest and easiest way.

First thing you need to do is to install internet explorer 6 - Just install the browser - you dont need the full install along with outlook express etc. This is supported directly from crossover, and will install the dependencies for you (DCOM95). This worked first time for me.

Crossover will also automatically simulate a windows reboot between each new installation - so you dont have to worry about that.

Next up is mdac2.8 - Get this from www.zuggsoft.com/data. Once that has been installed you need Jet4.0, which is also available from this site.

Then you can go ahead and install zMud7.05. The only problem I am currently having with it is that certain parts of the zMud window (mainly in the settings and in the mapper) are not redrawing themselves correctly and I end up with quite a messed up screen at times - though I am sure I will be able to work out a fix for this. I will keep you all posted.

If you manage to get zMud installed, I think you will agree that the speed increase over running on windows (in terms of game play speed) on the same machine is quite staggering!

Ben.
nema32
Beginner

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2004 8:34 pm   

I wanted to thank everyone for contributing to this thread. Now I have zMud 7.04 up and running on fedora core 2. I'm using the 6-15 wine rpms for fc2. Here were my steps:

1) Insall IE6SP1. I used option 1 from http://frankscorner.org/

2) followed Daagar's suggestion of downloading setupx.dll from
http://www.dll-files.com and unzipping into fakewindows/system dir.

3) installed MDAC 2.8 and JET 4.0 from http://www.zuggsoft.com/data

Then I just copied my zMud directory and it ran. There are some minor glitches,
but most everything works, although noticably slower.

Thanks a lot, everyone.
krohnu
Beginner

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2004 4:51 pm   

Just got zmud 7.05 running on my Mandrake 10 official box this morning, did it the same way as blongden, also having the same trouble with the refresh.

You ever get that fixed blongden?
Naviad
Beginner

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2004 2:25 am   

This sounds promising. I'll try it on my fresh Mandrake X install tonight.
tejing
Wanderer

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2005 8:48 pm   

I've got an idea on this that solves zugg's problems with porting to linux, and still gets a hassle-free way to install zmud in linux for those not so wine-savvy. somebody make a .deb and/or .rpm package that creates a fake windows drive and wine confg file specifically for zmud in /usr somewhere, and uses that as a skeleton to copy to any users ~/.zmud and make a script that overrides wine's config and fake drive locations and runs zmud. It shouldn't be terribly difficult to do if you've figured out exactly what zmud needs.
Wanderer

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2005 8:57 pm   

the only work zugg would need to do would be to get all user-related data separate from all system-related data, so that zmud could be centrally upgraded, but all the user's preferences and so on would be in their home directories. just like unix programs should be
Wanderer

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2005 3:55 am   

nema32, you left out something important. where did your fake windows directory come from and what version of wine did you use?

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2005 6:43 am   

i have a question i use z mud and when i log on to medievia every thing is in huge letters and seems like there is a bug in it when i open my triggers box up the game freezes and i have very wierd lag in game from comand bar to time it enters game can u help ?
nema32
Beginner

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2005 2:59 pm   

tejing wrote:
nema32, you left out something important. where did your fake windows directory come from and what version of wine did you use?

The fake windows directory is mostly just wine terminology describing the windows system directory used by wine. My steps should work, but to make them work, you still have to get a correct wine setup prior to setting up zMud. I used the 6-15 rpms for fc2 at the time. That's probably what I'm still using since I tend not to touch things that work. However, I would recommend using the latest wine and reading the docs to get it set up properly. IIRC, the biggest problems with getting zMud to work revolved around MDAC and IE6. There are several good sources of information for getting that stuff to work, most notably, frank's corner. Which I posted a link to in my original post.
tejing
Wanderer

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2005 3:07 am   

what I meant was that there are multiple programs wihich will create a new fake windows directory, and I have noticed that I get different results depending on how I generate that fake windows directory. it could be made by runnig wine without one, it can be made by a program in the wine-utils package, it could be made by winesetuptk, and I'll be there are others as well. I tried following your directions, and I couldn't get winetools to work at all, and the other automated method of installing ie6 hung partway through for no apparent reason. I'm still working on it.
Beginner

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2005 2:37 pm   

It would be nice if all the widgets drew correctly-- they don't. If anyone has some overrides that would fix the problem, please post your solutions. I'm talking about the toolbar buttons, the trigger/parsing icons at the bottom of the main window, and others. It appears to either be a failure of the widgets to release (or otherwise clean up) the DC after they draw themselves, or a failure to erase the background first. Windows is more forgiving than wine in this respect, so that's why they look ok in windows but not when running in wine.

Aside from noticible speed loss, the only other problem I have with zMud under wine is selecting a character. Double-clicking the icon does nothing, so I have to secondary-click him to bring up a menu and choose 'open' or equivalent.
M_Hennecke

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 10:59 pm   

Hi,

I have zmud 7.13b running under wine-20041019 on a gentoo system. Im using this version because winetools are working best for it. with winetools you can install ie6 jet mdac and everything needed for a good base wine setup automatically.

I haven't read the whole thread but I have read about problems with the elicense stuff. on my system everything works fine.

there are only the earlier mentioned graphic problems but i think thats the problem of the wine common controls.

i have found something really weird. I have three windows open. In the main mud window i have a the font lucida typewriter mono. for the other two windows i have selected the same font but they use something like arial. anyone an idea how to tell the windows to use the mono font? in the settings of the windows the correct font is selected but its not used!?

btw i love zmud even under linux :)

mfg
Marius Hennecke

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 3:41 pm   

Crosslinking to add to the most popular linux thread

http://forums.zuggsoft.com/phpbb/posting.php?mode=quote&p=89206
internetgamer007 wrote:
Hello all!
Just wanted to post an update...

I've been trying to get zMUD to work with Linux for years (I purchased zMUD back in 2000). Well, combine the hard work of the Ubuntu staff and the WineHQ staff, and you've finally got a working combination with the latest update.

WineHQ v0.9.5 now runs zMUD 7.21 (yes, it's a little ugly but it works) in Ubuntu "Breezy Badger" Linux without any special setting up.
highness

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 9:56 am   

I haven't gotten the map function to work in zmud yet.
I recently bought a copy of zMUD 7.21. I installed in under wine 0.9.6.
I thought it could have with the wine version to do or something, so I just upgraded to wine 0.9.9.
The mapper still doesn't work though. :(

Anyone knows how to fix this?
When I click the map icon it gives me:

Access violation at address 0059EB9C in module 'Zmud.exe'
Read of address 0000008D
katisha

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 7:33 am   Running zMud under Linux/wine - mapper not working

I found this thread and it worked for me, I am running zMud under wine in Ubuntu system. But the mapper isn't working,.. It says there's an access violation in module zmud.exe when i try to open it.

Anyone has any ideas? :)
highness

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 2:37 pm   

I also get the "A component named NewMapF already exists" error when I click the map twice.
I'm running slackware 10.2 and wine 0.9.10. It works better than the previous wine versions. Atleast when it comes to text formatting and graphical appearance. Only the mapper left now and I will give this program gold or platinum rating in the appdb at winehq. :)
katisha

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 2:50 am   

Ok, I got it almost working great :)

I set up wine and winetools with the MDAC and Jet40SP8 and IE6SP1 under Ubuntu breezy, Got zMud working emulating Windows NT4, 2000 and XP, not with global settings, 98, 95 or 3.1.

Using global settings i get this errors and zmud won't run:
Code:
fixme:vxd:VXD_Open Unknown/unsupported VxD L"smartvsd.vxd". Try setting Windows version to 'nt40' or 'win31'.
err:seh:setup_exception stack overflow 152 bytes in thread 000d eip b7e7cd69 esp 7f2f0f68 stack 0x7f2f1000-0x7fb00000

Depending on the wine configuration set for zMud i get different error messages when trying to load the mapper. With wine emulating NT4 it opens the mapper, but it wont configure properly. It sends the direction command but won't capture the mud output. I tried the offline configuration but doesn't work either.

When emulation win XP while loading the .mdb file, zmud gives an error saying "Item cannot be found in the collection corresponding to the requested name or ordinal". I have NO idea what this means!

If someone has any idea as to where to gom from here, I'd love to hear them!!!
Timas
Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 9:05 am   

Maybe we can see if Zugg can give some insight on which DLL's the mapper might depend? Its using a mdb file so I'm guessing it needs some type of ODBC wrapper? The different Wine versions might have different sets of DLL's activated..

I'm just trying stuff as I don't really have an idea.. it'd just be amazing to get zmud working on linux without vmware and the sorts..

Has anyone tried it when running wine with a windows install?

-Tim
nema32
Beginner

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 8:06 pm   

I recently switched to Ubunto dapper, and at the same time upgraded my aging 7.05 version to the latest. Having not upgraded wine for ages, I must say that once I got zMud working in 0.9.14, I was rather impressed with the speed improvements, and most of the quirks I used to have w/ zMud were gone.

I basically set up wine the way katisha did. For me, the key was choosing NT4 emmulation for zmud.exe. The mapper crashed in all other versions, though in different places for 9x versus 2k or XP. And I tried multiple ways of setting up MDAC/Jet. I really couldn't get the mapper working any other way than by using NT4 emmulation. When 0.9.15 came out, zmud stopped working too, so I backed up again and turned off wine updates. I can't tell you if 0.9.16 works or not, because I'm not gonna try it. I've had success (using NT4) with 0.9.9, 0.9.12, and 0.9.14 and NOT 0.9.15, which are all I tried.

My old setup had various quirks and was noticibly slower. This new setup works much better. I can't tell much difference in speed between native and running the wine api. And most of the drawing quirks are gone. The only two issues I still have are 1) the main window doesn't always draw right. Though it's easily fixed by just clicking somewhere in it. and 2) the data entry box doesn't show multi-line input. These are both minor, and I'm much happier with zmud under wine than I used to be.
Timas
Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 6:35 pm   

Code:

err:ole:CoGetClassObject class {00000507-0000-0010-8000-00aa006d2ea4} not registered
err:ole:create_server class {00000507-0000-0010-8000-00aa006d2ea4} not registered
err:ole:CoGetClassObject no class object {00000507-0000-0010-8000-00aa006d2ea4} could be created for for context 0x5
fixme:ole:CoCreateInstance no classfactory created for CLSID {00000507-0000-0010-8000-00aa006d2ea4}, hres is 0x80040154

err:ole ? Error OleDB? update the oledb maybe?
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » zMUD General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6

Jump to: