Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
rebeldev
Beginner

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2004 5:27 am   

Dual / Multi Monitor Support

I have been running a dual monitor setup for quite some time now and have always had the annoyance of having to move zmud windows to the secondary monitor each time they are opened. For example I put my main mud output window on the primary monitor and wish to have my map open full screen on the secondary monitor, however when I close zmud and reopen the character the map displays on the primary monitor. I then have to restore the mapper window, drag it to the secondary monitor, and maximize it again. I am posting this here because I wouldn't consider this a bug, more of a feature request, and perhaps a call to other forum users that may know a workaround for this so that Zugg doesn't have to waste his coding time for this annoyance that I'm quite sure not many people have run across anyway.

General information in case it's needed:
Running Zmud version 7.05
Primary monitor is to the left of secondary monitor (standard setup)
Have saved the layout with no success
Theragil
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2004 3:23 am   

I finally just left my zMUD windows on the main screen and put other things over on the other screen. This works better for me because my laptop is sometimes in a place where I don't have the other screen, so things need to default back to the main screen properly, and that works better for stuff I maximize than stuff like zMUD I don't run maximized.

That said, yes, I'd like to see this too.
Ryntrax
Wanderer

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2004 2:12 pm   

Yeah i havethis problem also. Just a matter of convenience.
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2004 2:22 am   

It's an issue with the way Windows handles "Maximize"...it has issues on second monitors. So, instead of using the Maximize button, just resize the mapper so that it fills the entire monitor. Then be sure to use your Settings/Save option to save the location.

I just test this on my 2 monitor setup and when I ran it the second time it properly opened the mapper on the 2nd monitor where I had saved it.

zMUD *does* default the saved windows back to the main screen if you run it on a single monitor system. Basically, any window that you open that is not visible at all in any of the monitors will get redirected back to the center of the main monitor.

Note that just disabling the 2nd monitor won't cause this. You have to actually revert to a single monitor configuration and then the windows revert. I do this all the time when I run zMUD on my laptop using the same settings files as I use on my main 2 monitor system.
rebeldev
Beginner

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2004 7:42 am   

I must have a strange configuration or something. I tried this suggestion:

Opened the character (which also opens the mapper)
Restored the mapper window
Moved the mapper window to the secondary monitor
Resized the mapper window (did not maximize)
Saved the settings
Closed the character window (which also closes the mapper)
Reopened the character

After it gets done loading the rooms and exits (my map has over 60,000 rooms so this takes a few seconds) it displays the mapper on the primary monitor.

I also tried making the mapper window smaller using the same steps as above, when it loads the mapper again the mapper is in what would be the correct location (x, y ... or top, and left are correct) except that it is on the wrong monitor, it doesn't just open in the center of the primary monitor.

I appreciate the responses, especially from you Zugg, and I will continue to work on this problem but I don't want to be a bother, again, especially for Zugg. I'll post any success I have with this.
Vijilante
SubAdmin

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2004 11:40 am   

After positioning the mapper window where you want close the mapper window. It seems that the positioning information for the mapper window isn't saved when you just close the character.
rebeldev
Beginner

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2004 9:02 pm   

I tried your suggestion also Vijilante but to no avail. I opened the character, moved the map back to the secondary monitor, saved settings again, and then closed just the mapper window, then without closing the character window I reopened the mapper window and it again was positioned back on the primary monitor. I wish that I could narrow this down but I've done some digging in the settings files and they aren't plain text so I am not able to determine what position exactly that it is setting the window at, from what I am able to determine from other sources however is that if the window position is not allowed to exceed the "resolution" it will not be able to be positioned on the secondary monitor. Perhaps it is a driver issue though, I know that ATI cards come with dual monitor window positioning software that I do not run even though my card is an ATI dual head video card. It brings me hope though that some people have found solutions to this on their setups, so I will continue to try things and report any success.
nexela
Wizard

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2004 2:11 am   

*guesses* Save your Layout too.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » zMUD General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: