Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.  This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Home » Forums » zExplorer Discussion
Gelior
Beginner

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2003 2:00 pm   

Updating ACspedia from ACexplorer

when the old database was at clarkzoo.org I recall we could upload data from within acexplorer. I notice now this functionality no longer exists. Will this ever be returned? or will this functionality be transfered to Zexplorer?

Also I notice the map data and information is much less robust in Zexplorer for AC1 than it is for ACexplorer. I understand that Zexplorer is still in a bit of a beta stage but was wondering why the incompatibility between how it accesses the database info.

Anyways Zugg Thank you for a great program and keep up the great work :) I am sure ACexplorer and Zexplorer for AC1/AC2 will be still in demand especially with the Awesome news of Turbine taking the reigns!
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2003 7:54 pm   

No, it was never possible to upload data from AC Explorer. AC Explorer only downloads. To add information you've always had to go to the ACspedia (or clarkzoo) site directly.

The new zExplorer *does* have upload functions, but only for databases that support it, and ACSpedia does not. So, zExplorer can upload data for AC2 and SWG, but not AC1. The database used for AC1 in zExplorer still gets it's updates from ACSpedia, so if you use the Update Data in zExplorer, then it will download the latest updates from ACSpedia and should then be the same database as used in AC Explorer.

However, if you are playing AC1, I still recommend that you use AC Explorer instead of zExplorer. Because ACspedia controls the database for AC1, it won't support the features of zExplorer and therefore there is no advantage in using zExplorer. zExplorer is really for people playing AC2 and SWG and other future games.

I'm actually a bit hesitant to get excited over Turbine getting AC1. Turbine is *very* busy these days with Middle Earth Online and D&D Online, not to mention they've always been in charge of the Live teams for AC1 and AC2. All the announcement really means is that Turbine now must administer all of the AC1 servers that Microsoft has been handling, which really just means for work for Turbine and I'm not sure if they have the man power to handle all of that work. I actually interpreted the announcement to mean that AC1 was no longer making enough money for Microsoft to care to be involved, which isn't a very good sign in my book.
Gelior
Beginner

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2003 8:11 am   

Zugg I have to respectfully disagree in reference to your apprehensions to the AC1 franchise- a recent IRC chat addressed your concern and discussions about Turbine buying back the AC franchises had started almost a year ago. Also during these announcements it was also confirmed that a new expansion was coming with upgraded graphics as well, so I think as far as the AC1 franchise is concerned it is still a profitable enterprise no matter who is in charge of it due to the reinvestment for an expansion. Truth be told I think MS wouldn't have sold it unless Turbine agreed to take back the WHOLE franchise (which meant the ailing AC2 franchise) as well. As for the manpower they also announced they are hiring like crazy as well to staff for the upcoming adjustments and changeovers of handling the day to day operations of the servers and administrating and billing as well.

I am a bit dissapointed you feel that AC1 is something not to be supported in your efforts in reference to Zexplorer, which I always thought to be the result of your efforts with ACexplorer. I hope that you reconsider this and hope you continue to support the AC1 player base as well as all the upcoming games out there. If subscriptions are any indication, AC2 is still behind compared to the current AC1 playerbase.

I appreciate all the work you have put into ACexplorer and I still will continue to use it as it is a great program, but please don't forsake a loyal playerbase of a game that still has plenty of life left in it, ironically moreso than is descendant (AC2).

Thanks again,

Gelior Drake
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2003 8:48 am   

I respect your opinion about AC1.

However, you misunderstand about zExplorer and AC1. It's not a matter of zExplorer not supporting AC1. zExplorer *does* support AC1 via the same ACSPedia database that AC Explorer uses. I have no control over this database. The ACSpedia people have not written any scripts to support the upload capability of zExplorer.

With AC2, Horizons, and SWG, I decided to host my own database using the PHP/MySQL scripts that I have made freely available. But I can't do this with AC1 because ACSpedia really has the rights to that database and running a seperate database for zExplorer defeats the purpose since it would soon be out of date compared to the ACSpedia database.

So, all I can suggest is that you email ACSpedia and ask them to support the uploading features in zExplorer.

And yes, as far as I'm concerned, AC2 is a dead game. I'm seeing a *lot* of familiar AC1 and AC2 players over on Horizons. While I'm sure AC1 will keep some people, I think most AC2 people are going to end up in Horizons instead. My initial opinions is that it delivers a lot of what AC2 promised and never had. Once they get over their initial launch issues and start focusing on content, it's going to be a strong game.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Home » Forums » zExplorer Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: