Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.  This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Home » Forums » zExplorer Discussion
Eric the Grey

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2003 1:24 am   

zExplorer bug.

The install doesn't seem to be working for 4.10.

On first running the program, get an error that says "Unrecognized database format 'C:ZEXPLO~1places.mdb' Click OK, and it hangs. If I close it, I get "Access violation at address 00010005. Wri of address 3A004300.

Looking into the directory in quesion, the places.mdb is a zero byte file, as is the Dereth.gif file.

I've tried three times, and gotten the same response each time. Dropping the files from the zmap_server.zip didn't help either, and I'm not even certain that's where those files go. :P

[8D] Eric the Grey
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2003 7:07 pm   

You need to go to the page http://www.zuggsoft.com/data and follow the instructions given there for your version of Windows.

The places.mdb file shouldn't be zero length, however. Try deleting those files and re-running AC Explorer. The places.mdb file is downloaded from www.zuggsoft.com the first time you run AC Explorer. If the file is zero length, then there is some problem with your network contacting www.zuggsoft.com so check to be sure you are not running some sort of firewall or proxy server that might be blocking the connection.

The zmap_server.zip files are for setting up your own map database on your own web server running PHP and MySQL. These files are not intended to be downloaded into your zExplorer directory and if you don't know anything about PHP or MySQL you shouldn't be messing with those files.
Eric the Grey

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2003 3:30 am   

Ok, I insatlled both of those, and it still gives the same error.

Deleted the zero length .mdb file and tried again, same error.

I also noted that the Update.xml file is zero length, as is the Dereth.gif.

I'm beginning to think there's an issue with my computer that's preventing this update. I've tried to update McAfee and it's giving me an error saying it cannot connect to the internet, even though I'm browsing, etc, fine.

I'm going to contact them and see what they suggest...

Eric the Grey
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2003 6:45 am   

Yep, you've definitely got some sort of network issue that is preventing any files from being downloaded. What McAfee software are you running? If you are running something like ZoneAlarm or any other program that might be blocking network connections, try disabling it.
Eric the Grey

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2003 7:59 am   

Something I thought about tonight, since it's only *SOME* applications that are having this trouble, perhaps it's a particular port that has somehow been shut down?

Can you tell me what port these two use? I'm checking with Hazridi as well to see if they are the same.

*crosses fingers* Hopefully this is the culprit, then all I have to do is yell at the cable company...

Oh, and no, it's not a firewall. Not only did I disable it, but I've actually uninstalled all my firewalls just in case, and still no go, with any of them.

[8D]Eric the Grey
Eric the Grey

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2003 7:04 pm   

Ok, I've found my problem. This is the same post I made to COD since I've posted this every place I could think of.

Ok, a while back, I tried to set up my PC as the gateway between my network and the internet, because the router I bought locked me out of it's controls and the internet after I started the firewall (great firewall, nothing get's through). Anyway, in order to do this, I had to shut down zone alarm, because the basic version won't work under this kind of setup.

Instead I installed a 1-year freebie from the cable provider from McAfee.

However, since I did not uninstall Zone Alarm, apparently, it was still having it's way with some applications, like ACE, and apparently a few others. Since it was not running/active, I figured it could not be the issue. How wrong I was.

Last night I uninstalled the McAfee firewall completely in one of my many attempts to correct my problem, leaving my system open, of course, but this didn't help.

This morning, I re-installed ZA and everything works fine again.

The moral of the story is, if you ditch ZA, uninstall it completely, or it'll cause problems. I'm going to send a note to Zone Labs about this, since It is something they should fix, IMO.

[8D] Eric the Grey
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.     Home » Forums » zExplorer Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: