Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
Arcane_of_Discworld
Wanderer

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2003 5:55 pm   

Teleportation and Mapping

G'day,

I want to be able to use the map created in zMud to be able to use teleportation as another possible route when calculating a speedwalking
path, following is my musing about how to do it.

The Situation:
  • My character can teleport on Discworld from 99.9 percent of rooms
  • I have 50+ specified locations which I have items memorised for which enables me to teleport to them

I believe I can have zMud use portals as viable carriage ways for travel if I create one room to act as a go between between my current location and my destination, I would then have a room script active in that room to utilise the #TELEPORT comand so that I am in the correct room. My portal alias can easilly be altered to cater for such a change as I have already written it to cater for an endless number of locations.

I will set the movement cost into the aforementioned portal room to be 10 or 15 so that when zMud calculates the path it can take that into consideration too.

The Problem:
What I will also need to do is create an undrawn link between all current rooms that I can portal from (currently 30k+) to this 'portal room', I would hate to have to do this manually and would hope that someone more knowledgeable than me can create an alias or routine of some type to create these undrawn links for me. The vNum for the portal room I would like to be 100000

Forgot to add that I would like the command to enter the room to be portal
Good luck and thanks in advance Smile
Arcane_of_Discworld
Wanderer

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2003 5:41 am   

I have been doing some research and believe it is possible to accomplish part of what I need to do via the command line using the%roomportal function, however I see no way to either set these links as oneway or in marking them not to be drawn, is there really no way to accomplish both of these when creating the links?

If they cannot be created from the command line I have MS Access 2002 but no idea on how to use it, could someone suggest how I might be able to make the links in the preferred format using Access?

Arcane

P.S. after further analysis of my original musing I have determined that I will need to use bi-directional links to my real teleportation points from the portal room so that zMud can make the correct calculations regarding fastest path (least movements)
parrotslave
Wanderer

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2003 7:58 am   

This is how I handle portalling around the disc.

I used the mud command identify on all my blorps. For example the blorp to the Mended Drum is called todrum.

Then I have an alias in zMud called tdrum that uses #teleport to take move me to the Drum on the map.

If the portal is successfully cast and I enter it, then I just type 'tdrum' and I am there on the map.
Arcane_of_Discworld
Wanderer

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2003 8:28 am   

My current setup is similar if not somewhat more automated than your own Parrotslave :-)

I seem to have misrepresented or failed to state what my goal actually is which I will correct as of now. What I want to be able to do is to double click on the map and have zMud use my portalling as another possible route to the destination I have double clicked upon.

For example:

Example 1)

I am in KLK at the palace and I want to go to the KLK warrior's guild.

At the moment zMud would speedwalk me to the destination which is approximately 30 rooms away, if it had the capability to use my portalling locations as a possible route it would portal me directly there whilst making allowance for the time it takes me to open the portal and move through it therefore the base movement cost would be 15 rooms.

Example 2)

I am in KLK at the palace and I want to go to The crossroads of the Avenue of the Pharaohs and Temple Street also in KLK.

Once again zMud will be able to determine that I have a direct portal to the room but as I can also walk there in 8 rooms it will send the speedwalk commands instead of portalling as there will be a lower movement cost.

Example 3)

I am at the KLK Palace and want to go to the AM Warrior's Guild.

Currently zMud will be able to speedwalk me to the guild at a cost of approximately 35 movement points however if given the capability to utilise my teleportation skills it would alternatively teleport me to The Mended Drum at a cost of 15 movement points and then speedwalk the remaining 7 rooms for a grand total of 22 movement points

I hope that clarifies my goals with regards to this project, just to restate I want to be able to double click on the map and have zMud choose an appropriate path without having to portal myself first.

Arcane
Arcane_of_Discworld
Wanderer

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2003 8:04 am   

Sorry for bumping my own topic once again [:I]

I guess the lack of a response is a clear indication that what I would like to achieve in this project is impossible to do from the command line, or from within a script, given the current limitations of zMud scripting language.

My only hope is if Zugg adds the ability to specify link direction (one way incoming, one way outgoing or bi-directional) and if a link is drawn or not from the command line in a future version of zMud.

Arcane
mr_kent
Enchanter

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2003 2:09 pm   

I don't know how to do what you want to do. I might be able to figure it out if I had more experience with teleport-enabled muds; however, if you want to do this, here is something I've thought of...
http://www.zuggsoft.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=1282

Using parts of this script and %roomlink might let you loop through all rooms and create a link to your portal room.
Arcane_of_Discworld
Wanderer

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2003 3:41 pm   

Thanks for posting your thoughts on the topic Mr Kent ;-)

I had already considered using %roomlink but had to dismiss it, as it is only useful for standard exits unless I have badly misread the help documentation. %roomportal does exactly the same as %roomlink but is used to establish links for non-standard room exits therefore I would use that.

My dilema is that the created links need to be one-way into the portal room (except from the rooms that I actually can portal to), otherwise zMud will be trying to jump back into rooms that I have no teleport directly to. The other dilema is that I would like all links into the portal room to be un-drawn otherwise the map will have as many dots (indicating non-standard exits) as it does rooms.

Both of these would need to be done from a script or the command line to make the implementation of this project feasible.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » zMUD General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: