Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
sillykdogg
Beginner

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2003 4:21 am   

Tick Timer

I know all about the #tset, #alarm, etc. But what I was wondering is there is a command to change the TICK IN X SECONDS between timers as well. For instance have one timer countdown to:TICK IN 1 SECONDS then another timer activated after that to TICK IN 2 SECONDS.

I know I have trouble explaining this, but I'm glad u guys have always made sense of my ramblings.

Thanks.
Brujah
Wanderer

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2003 4:37 am   

You mean to change the timeout margin?
sillykdogg
Beginner

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2003 4:57 am   

I think that's what I need. As long as I am able to change the TICK IN 1 SECONDS. to TICK IN 2 SECONDS. with a command instead of doing it manually.
LightBulb
MASTER

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2003 5:17 am   

#TIMER
#TR {TICK IN 1 SECONDS.} {#TIMER 1 {} 1 2}
There is only one tick timer. If you want/need to time multiple events, you should probably use alarms.
sillykdogg
Beginner

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2003 5:36 am   

Well, essentially this is what I wanted but like I stated above, I am new to this whole thing still, and I have a hard time asking questions like this so... What I want to do is, I want 1 timer to countdown say like 4 seconds, so #tset 4. Then when the statement TICK IN 1 SECONDS. shows, I want to have it trigger a task, in this case save. Then after the save command he screen will read Saved... at which I want a new timer to be activated, #tset 4, but this time instead of showing the TICK IN 1 SECONDS. statement I want a TICK IN 2 SECONDS. statement, at which time a new command will be triggered.

I do apologize for being so confusing, I'll try to better describe my questions.
Brujah
Wanderer

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2003 6:45 am   

hmm. i forget the command to change what the tick timeout command is. this is how i would do it, dont cut/paste it because im sure im using the wrong command to do it.

#CLASS {ticktimer}
#TSET 4
#TI (if you dont already have it on)
#TICKCOMMAND save
#TR {^saved...} {#Tset 3;#TICKCOMMAND whatever the new command is}
#CLASS 0

im sure lightbulb will come along and make me look like an amature (which i am :)) good luck.
LightBulb
MASTER

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2003 9:02 am   

Looking at my previous post, I wasn't clear. The first line should read more like:
#TIMER is the command to change the timeout margin (among other things, including the timeout command).

The tick timer is designed to track your MUD's ticks, so you can have a reasonable idea of when regen and other tick-related changes will take place. This is useful so you can sleep for a few seconds just before each tick and get the same regen as if you had slept the entire tick. It's not intended for use as a general-purpose timer where you'll be constantly changing the timeout-margin, the tick-length, and the commands. That's what alarms are for. PLEASE READ ABOUT #ALARM.

Alarms can be used for one-time delayed actions. They can be used to do things at a certain time. And they can also be used to do things over and over at set intervals. You can have as many of them as you want. There's no need to force the tick-timer into doing what alarms were designed to do.

It's possible (though unlikely) that your tasks are suited to the ticktimer, but since you are being mysterious about those tasks there's no way to tell. Be specific about what you want to do (not what commands you think should be used), and someone here will probably help you put together a script.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » zMUD General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: