Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
HollyC
Novice

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2003 7:40 pm   

Creating a .mud file setting system

Is the instructions for creating a custom "settings" system (saved as a .mud file) listed in the FAQ? I've looked through the FAQ but I haven't found it. If it's not in the FAQ, is it listed anywhere in the help files? And if the answer to that is 'no,' too, then can anyone post the instructions I'm looking for? :)

Holly
mr_kent
Enchanter

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2003 7:55 pm   

.mud files are created automatically when using zmud. You just need to save the settings of a window to create a .mud file. I don't think there is anyway to create a settings file outside of the program. Having said that, if you're proficient with zscript, you might be able to create an ascii file with all the settings you want but you'd still have to import the settings, I think.

What are you trying to do that I'm not understanding?
Arcane_of_Discworld
Wanderer

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2003 7:58 pm   

If I understand you question correctly I am fairly sure that you can simply open the Settings Editor and choose File/Save as, then give the new file a unique name which will make alterations to that file alone. I presume that this is so yoiu can have some unique settings for different characters on the same Mud.

Arcane
HollyC
Novice

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2003 2:58 am   

Okies, I think I understand. Yes, a setting, as in a collection of linked aliases, macros, triggers and variables where if you go to Settings and click Load, you can see the 'setting' available in a .mud file and by choosing it, that collection of aliases, etc. comes up for use. I think I see what you're getting at, so thank you :)

One more question, however. Does ZMud's help files contain instruction on ZScript? I can use it a little, but I'm still only a beginner. ::laughs::

Holly
mr_kent
Enchanter

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2003 1:21 pm   

quote:

One more question, however. Does ZMud's help files contain instruction on ZScript? I can use it a little, but I'm still only a beginner. ::laughs::

help->References->Command Reference & Function Reference

The commands and functions are hyperlinked from these lists, so you can jump around and read about what you can do with them. These pages also contain (mostly simple) examples.

I hope this helps you get started.

Also on this page click SUPPORT -> Support Library. There are many tutorials/articles about making zMud do what you want to do.
LightBulb
MASTER

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2003 5:59 pm   

You seem to have a slight misunderstanding of terms. A "setting" is not "a collection of linked aliases, macros, triggers and variables". A "setting" is a "class, alias, trigger, variable, macro, path, button, direction, speed menu item, tab word, status line, or status window". Any ONE item which can be made or edited with the settings editor is a setting.

While it is possible to make and load separate settings files for particular tasks, it isn't necessary or convenient and most people don't. When you load a new setting file, it completely replaces the current setting file. Any triggers, aliases, variables, etc. that you were using before are gone unless they are included in the newly loaded file or the inherited settings. That means that if you have any settings you would always want available, they must be included in every settings file.

Most people use the class structure when they want to group related settings and enable/disable those classes as needed. A "class" is a setting which "allow(s) you to group other settings, such as aliases, variables, triggers, etc, into a single group or folder. In addition to organizing your settings, classes can be enabled and disabled." This is probably much more suited to what you want than having several different setting files for the same character.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » zMUD General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: