Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
Brujah
Wanderer

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2003 1:24 am   

compass configured *.zfg (for materiamagica)

does anyone have a reliable working *.zfg file for the automapper that is compass configured for the style of compass used Host: materiamagica.com Port: 6666

thanks
Brujah
Wanderer

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2003 9:48 pm   

The owner/proprieter of my MUD has spoke with Zugg who says Materia Magica is one of the hardest MUDs to map. i am posting a couple example room descriptions (being that i dont know ANYTHING about the automapper feature of zMUD due to the fact that it has never worked properly when i try to use it.) i hope someone will be able to help us with this. Zugg also suggested that we might need to use a combination of triggers and adjusting the *.zfg file. thanks in advance. the first example has two possible exits with a closed door to the east. the second example has all possible exits and no closed doors or obstacles in any direction.

Code:

Runic Temple                                           -      -      -
(-------------------------------------------------)     W <---(M)---> #
                                                        -      -      -

This is the Runic Temple, a large and impressive white marble building.
Beautiful murals are painted on the walls, depicting various Powers.  There
is a marble archway on the west that leads to the other areas of the temple,
such as the Tourist Center, Donation Room and Health Center.  The archway to
the east leads to the beautiful Garden of Life. 
    A magical spring flows gently from the ground.
[Clan 93] **Elysa 466 1220 is here.
Adrade the Adventurer is resting here.
[Clan 96] **Zerophyre Shining Knight of -kin- is here.
[Clan 94] *Cetra Jareth, -Bullet with Butterfly Wings.- is here.
[Clan 36] **Joseph the young adventurer is here.
*A huge cockroach crawls about here, looking for food scraps.
[LOST LINK] [Clan 73] [AWAY] ***Alikaatian A glimpse into the past  [!SF!] is resting here.
*A white-robed cleric is standing here, smiling to all who pass.

Ethereal Void                                          NW     N     NE
(-------------------------------------------------)     W <-U-(M)-D-> E
 WARNING: You are in a CHAOTIC PLAYER KILLING room.     NW     S     NE

You are floating in a featureless gray mist.  Sights and sounds from
other dimensions flit about you in a confusing tangle. 
    A nondescript glass vial has been dropped here.
*The shade of Celeng is floating here...
(Gold Aura) *The shade of Kalid is floating here...
[LOST LINK] [Clan 7] *The shade of Ciegon is floating here...
[Clan 35] *The shade of Devoid is floating here...
[Clan 115] (Gold Aura) *The shade of Dalamar is floating here...
(Gold Aura) **The undead shade of Mordred is floating here...

Thanks again for all help offered :)
Brujah
Wanderer

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2003 12:44 am   

bump
Brujah
Wanderer

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2003 7:22 pm   

i really dont know anything about the automapper and im hoping someone will be able to help...

*bump*
StackAdder
Wanderer

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2003 7:43 pm   

I don't know if I will be able to manage anything - but can you paste an example including prompts at each end of the room descriptions so I can get a feel for it better?

Cheers
mr_kent
Enchanter

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2003 7:59 pm   

quote:
Originally posted by Brujah

does anyone have a reliable working *.zfg file for the automapper that is compass configured for materiamagica.com

NO.

http://www.zuggsoft.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=12685&SearchTerms=compass
Brujah
Wanderer

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2003 9:40 pm   

i didnt realize this was an old issue. however, it is still valid and i would still appreciate if anyone could help us figure it out.

Code:
 The Central Hallway                                     -      N      -
(-------------------------------------------------)     W <---(M)---> E
                                                        -      S      -

The central hallway of Vendredi Castle has been finely decorated, with
many paintings and coats of arms hanging upon the walls.  The floor beneath
you has been constructed from marble, although a crimson rug has been placed
over this, leading from the south end of the hallway to the north. 
<1035hp 311sp 1031st>
 The Central Hallway                                    -      N      -
(-------------------------------------------------)     - <---(M)---> -
                                                        -      S      -

The central hallway of Vendredi Castle has been finely decorated, with
many paintings and coats of arms hanging upon the walls.  The floor beneath
you has been constructed from marble, although a crimson rug has been placed
over this, leading from the south end of the hallway to the north. 
<1035hp 311sp 1030st>
StackAdder
Wanderer

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2003 11:50 am   

Before I spend time wading through that existing solution (thanks for pointing it out in such a wonderfully friendly manner mr kent) can you confirm Brujah that the one provided isn't working for you? That thread makes it look as though it is all done and dusted...
mr_kent
Enchanter

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2003 4:41 pm   

quote:
Originally posted by StackAdder

(thanks for pointing it out in such a wonderfully friendly manner mr kent)

You're welcome. The topic was posted then bumped three times in two and a half days; all the while a search for 'compass' would have resulted in at least one topic with that mud's name in it. There are at least four separate posts about this exact subject had Brujah bothered to search in between bumping.
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2003 6:27 pm   

Hey, let's try to be nicer to new users. I'm partly responsible for this. Brujah is one of the people in charge of Materia Magica. They are looking at getting a custom icon for their MUD added to zMUD. I suggested that they try to get a working ZFG file to supply to new users along with the icon to help people with mapping this difficult MUD. I assumed someone had solved this problem before, but since Brujah is new, I don't think he noticed the Search option, nor did I remember to mention it to him.

Sometimes new users just need a gentle reminder about the search option, or have someone post the links to the relevant threads.
Rorso
Wizard

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2003 6:40 pm   

quote:
Originally posted by Zugg

Hey, let's try to be nicer to new users. I'm partly responsible for this. Brujah is one of the people in charge of Materia Magica. They are looking at getting a custom icon for their MUD added to zMUD. I suggested that they try to get a working ZFG file to supply to new users along with the icon to help people with mapping this difficult MUD. I assumed someone had solved this problem before, but since Brujah is new, I don't think he noticed the Search option, nor did I remember to mention it to him.

Sometimes new users just need a gentle reminder about the search option, or have someone post the links to the relevant threads.

I think the problem might also be mapper related. The #TAG command doesn't seem to work very well. Sometimes the configurator shows that everything is OK when you use #TAG and you go like: Very Happy. Then when you try to map it doesn't work!

A solution to this would be to reconsider how #TAG works. As I understand it it 'tags' the line to be of a special kind. This can cause issues if a line has vnums, prompt, room name in the same line. It doesnt seem to be possible to tag it to all those states at the same time. Another interesting issue is that the recognizer in the configurator seems to be different than the one used when really mapping.

Oh. And this was exactly what I meant a few threads ago with being nice to users asking old questions. If you cant avoid to be rude, then don't reply to the thread. Else this forum has a large chance to become more and more inactive together with the rest of the mud community.
Daagar
Magician

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2003 8:04 pm   

Brujah,
Scrooge (a player on MM) was the first to get the mapper working with the compass enabled. Wodam was another (similar method, but using conditional triggers to Scrooge's older-style approach), though I don't think he plays anymore (his website is gone). I tried both of their approaches and had them working just perfect with zMud.

Sadly, I don't think I have the config anymore... I will check my backups and see. Failing that, ask Scrooge and or do a search at alyriaonline.com (Scrooge posted his trigger there, which is where I originally found it).

Unless MM has changed since I last tried (or something went strange in zMud), it SHOULD be doable.

EDIT:
Well, a string of bad news. I don't have my old triggers. Alyria Online moved, and doesn't appear to have the original posts from Scrooge/Wodam anymore.

However, zex0s' triggers are very similar to the approach I took originally. I'm surprised they don't work. I'd suggest that they be used as the starting point for getting them working - I haven't tested them myself, but they look oh so close.

The one difference is that I didn't do all of the extra processing. It seems that I just captured the exits and did a #tag of it straight from the compass (go to a room where all exits are visible when you configure - that was a big key).
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2003 2:16 am   

You misunderstand #TAG. It is *not* just tagging the line as special. It is actually meant to extract the proper text from the line and pass it to the mapper. If you are just using "#TAG Roomname" without any arguments, then you are telling the mapper that the entire line is the roomname, which probably isn't what you want.

For example, to extract the room name from within [] characters, you'd use a trigger like this:

#TRIGGER {~[(*)~]} {#TAG name {%1}}

The {%1} as the second argument to tag is *very* important since it's that text which zMUD is going to use for the room name (or description, or exits).

So, yes, you *can* tag a single line as all 3 if you wanted. It's just a matter of writing a trigger that pulls out the different values. For example, if your room name had the exits on the same line within [], you would use something like:

#TRIGGER {(*) ~[(*)~]} {#TAG name {%1};#TAG exit {%2}}

Tags work fine when they are used properly. Older versions of zMUD had lots of trouble with #TAG, but those have been fixed in the more recent versions. Both the MXP and GSL mapping features also use Tag, so I'd be getting lots of email from those users if it wasn't working pretty well.

Take a look at the help page for #TAG. Lots of useful info in there. The only bug in the current help file is that you need the {} around %1 if you want it to work with multiple words with spaces between them.

Also remember that after creating your #TAG triggers, you need to do a Config/Reconfig in the mapper to get the configuration set up properly.
Brujah
Wanderer

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2003 7:24 am   

929 10-14-2003 Vassago Updated the server MXP support so that users of the new version of ZMUD (coming out in a few days, 6.63 I believe) will be able to use ZMUD's automapper with MM.

I am not one of the people in charge of MM, just another loyal and devoted player who would like to be able to use the automapper.

Alyria Online has moved to aodojo.com

To the best of my knowledge Scrooge does not have a working automapper.

I bumped the thread because even though it has been addressed before, it has not been solved. :)

Just wanted to clear a couple things up and explain why ive let this thread die.
Daagar
Magician

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2003 10:15 pm   

Wow! If the mud now has MXP support, mapping should be an absolute breeze. Hats off to Vassago for putting MXP in there.
Brujah
Wanderer

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2003 10:22 pm   

its had MXP for a long time now, just not the MXP support nessecary for the automapper :)
vaulin

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2004 4:51 am   

..... ok, so i donno from boo about MXP and how it'll magically make the automapper work with v7.x(7.04 for me, to be specific)..... cause it didn't work at all for me. Maybe i'm just missing something.....

But, at any rate, here is a map config that'll make the mapper work.... also note that the text under [Map Script] is a *single* line. you may have to go back into the mapper's Conig->Configuration Settings->Map Script and adjust it.

You need to define 2 variables: roomName and roomExits

The just copy everything between BEGIN and END and got Config->Import Config->From Clipboard.

You should be good to go.

---------------------- BEGIN ------------------------
Version: 211
Name Start: 0
Desc Start: 0
Desc End: 1
Exit Start: 0
Exit End: 0
Exit in Prompt: 0
Exit in Name: 0
Exit contains key: 0
Name paragraph: 0
Desc paragraph: 0
Exit paragraph: 0
Bracket prompt: 0
Short exit names: 1
vNum in Name: 0
Exit keyword:
Exit after keyword: 0
Match room name mode: 1
Use Descriptions: 0
Entire exit paragraph: 0
Single char exit: 0
Autoprompt detect: 1
Complex prompt: 1
Prompt char:
Name ends in period: 0
Number prompt: 0
No MUD Prompt: 0
Room Name Propercase: 1
Prompt trigger: ^(?:[w+]|)<d+w+ d+w+ d+w+>s?
Prompt Regex: 1
Description changes: 1
[Map Script]
#REGEX {^ (.*)s+ (-|#|NW)s+(-|#|N)s+(-|#|NE)s?n^(-------------------------------------------------) (-|#|W) <-(-|#|U)-(w)-(-|#|D)-(?:.*) (-|#|E)s?n^.* (-|#|SW)s+(-|#|S)s+(-|#|SE)} {#OK;roomName=%1;roomExits="";#IF ("%2"<>"-") {roomExits="NW "@roomExits};#IF ("%3"<>"-") {roomExits="N "@roomExits};#IF ("%4"<>"-") {roomExits="NE "@roomExits};#IF ("%5"<>"-") {roomExits="W "@roomExits};#IF ("%6"<>"-") {roomExits="U "@roomExits};#IF ("%7"<>"-") {roomExits="D "@roomExits};#IF ("%8"<>"-") {roomExits="E "@roomExits};#IF ("%9"<>"-") {roomExits="SW "@roomExits};#IF ("%10"<>"-") {roomExits="S "@roomExits};#IF ("%11"<>"-") {roomExits="SE "@roomExits};#TAG exit {@roomExits};#TAG name {@roomName};}
[Map Explore Script]

[End]
----------------------- END ----------------------
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » zMUD General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: