Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

parrotslave
Wanderer

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2003 3:18 am   

Map Won't Open

I was very happy to be able to upgrade to version 1.20 today.

I opened the sample map quite easily. It looks very interesting.

Then I tried to open the map I use most with zMud 6.62.

Immediately I got an error message - Zone:Tbl:Field 'GridXInc'not found.

Then these showed up.

Access violation at address 004D878B in modue 'ZMapper.exe'. Read of address 00000000.
KindTbl: Cannot perform this operation on a closed dataset.
StyleTbl: Cannot perform this operation on a closed dataset.
Access violation at address 004D878B in modue 'ZMapper.exe'. Read of address 00000000.
StyleTbl: Cannot perform this operation on a closed dataset.

I waited 20 minutes and the map had not opened.

I uninstalled zMapper and reinstalled it but had the same problem again.

Do I need to do something to my current map to open it with the new version of zMapper?

Thanks
parrotslave
Wanderer

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2003 4:25 am   

Sorry to follow up on myself.

I was able to open a much smaller map for a different MUD using zMapper.

The map that won't open is over 92,000 rooms. Could the size be the issue?
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2003 4:52 am   

No, it sounds like the map with the problem is missing a needed field on one of the database tables. Normally zMUD is supposed to detect the version of the database structure and add any necessary fields. Don't know why it's not doing it in this case. I'll probably need to publish a separate tool to "fix" a broken database like this. Unless you have Access 2000 yourself, there is little you can do about it I'm afraid.

Doesn't have anything to do with the size. It has to do with the exact version of zMUD used to create the database or which version of ZsConvert converted an old map to the database format.
mr_kent
Enchanter

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2003 4:03 pm   

quote:
Originally posted by Zugg

No, it sounds like the map with the problem is missing a needed field on one of the database tables. Normally zMUD is supposed to detect the version of the database structure and add any necessary fields. Don't know why it's not doing it in this case. I'll probably need to publish a separate tool to "fix" a broken database like this. Unless you have Access 2000 yourself, there is little you can do about it I'm afraid.

I've got this going on too. I have Access 2002, but I don't know squat about db structure. Before all the errors, it messages with 'converting file'. It shouldn't need to be converted, I don't think.

Would sending the file help? or should I try to compare the fields of a mapper-made db with a zmud-made db in Access to determine which fields are missing, and then trying to add them myself?

Edit: I opened both a sample map and the zmud map in Access and added the missing fields, there were about eight missing. Now my map opens much more quickly in zMapper than it does in zMud, but then I think changing zones takes about the same amount of time...boy am I glad I purchased a zMapper license! Thanks Zugg! I can't wait till zMud gets the code modification, please hurry! Smile
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2003 7:09 pm   

If you still have one of the bad files, please send it to me. If it's less than 5MB then email is fine. Otherwise you'll need to post it somewhere I can download it.

There is a VERSTBL table that has a version number in it. This is the version of the database structure that tells zMUD or zMapper whether it needs to update the structure. I added several new fields to the database to support some new features, and those are the fields that seem to be missing. When it sees a lower version number than the current version, it goes through the "converting file" step to add the new fields. So, it sounds like it did this step and I have just missed some fields. But yes, the "converting file" is normal if it was created in a previous version and needed updating.

Yes, loading zone should be the same amount of time. The loading of a zone is a single complex SQL query, so Zone loading is completely dependant upon the speed of the SQL database drivers. The rest of the speed improvements were changes to how zMUD handles it's internal cache of the database, so there was lots I was able to do to speed that up.
parrotslave
Wanderer

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2003 8:39 pm   

A tool to fix the database would be fantastic. I dread having to recreate the large map since I don't have Access 2000.

The large map was originally created with zMud 5.55 and has been through several verson upgrades over the years. The map is working with zMud 6.62.

Thanks for your help.
mr_kent
Enchanter

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2003 1:17 pm   

quote:
Originally posted by Zugg

If you still have one of the bad files, please send it to me. If it's less than 5MB then email is fine. Otherwise you'll need to post it somewhere I can download it.

I just finished working eleven straight nights. I'm fried at the moment, but will try to set up someplace where you can d/l the mapfile today. Sorry for the delay.
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2003 7:28 pm   

Just got a sample map via email. So I'll test this and make sure this is fixed in the next version of zMUD and zMapper.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » zMapper Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: