Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
Charbal
GURU

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2003 9:14 am   

Charbal's ZoneCopy Utility

In zMUD 6.16, maps were split into many files, one for each zone and a master map file to keep track of them all. This made for easy copying of zones between maps. Nowadays, the entire map is stored in a single database file and zones cannot be manipulated in the same way. So I've written this utilty to address the need to copy zones from one map to another.

Get it from here.

Before you use it, make sure to back up your map. While I've taken great pains to ensure my program's robustness, one can never be too careful, especially when it comes to these maps which often represent months if not years of effort. That said, I'm disclaiming any liability resulting from the use or misuse of this program blah blah blah.

Moving on... the mapper databases used for both the source and target must already exist; the program will not create them for you. When you run it, it will initially prompt for the source database (where zones will be copied from) and then the target database.

After that is completed, it will present a list of zones so that you may select which to copy using the options at the right. Multiple zones can be selected merely by clicking on all of the entries desired. To deselect, one can click on a selected zone.

As for the copying options...

Prompt for new names for zones: This option dictates whether the program will try to use the original names of the zones or if it will prompt you for new ones. In either case, if the name it attempts to use conflicts with an existing name in the target database, a number will be appended to it to distinguish the two.

Make links going out of zones null: This option controls the program's behavior regarding links going from a zone which is being copied to one which is not. If it is enabled, then these are made into links without a destination. If disabled, then the program leaves the destination as-is. Since the destination will be referring to a room in the source database, what that means in the context of the target database really only has meaning if the target database is the source database or at least a copy of it. Otherwise, the destination may be an invalid room or somewhere you do not wish it. Therefore, this option is disabled when copying from a database to itself and enabled otherwise.

Use intelligent mapping on directions: When this option is disabled, the program will go through each direction (i.e., north, east, south, etc) in the source database and prompt what direction it should correspond with in the target database or if a new one should be created (warning: creating a new direction in a database with data already in it can potentially have some unpredictable effects). If the option is enabled, then the program does an initial check on names first. If a direction with the same name is found in the target database, that is used automatically and no prompt is displayed.

Copy icon information: Controls whether the program copies icon information.

Copy meta information: Controls whether the program copies meta information.

Text Styles: Controls how the program deals with text styles. The default is intelligent mapping which is akin to that discussed above concerning directions. The option Prompt for conversions doesn't perform the name check but instead always prompts. The third option, Do not copy, is pretty self-explanatory :P It excises that information from the copy made.

The same options apply to both Room Kinds and Exit Kinds.

Anyway, once all the options are set and the zone(s) to copy are selected, just click the Copy button and that's it.

Enjoy.

- Charbal

Edit: changed servers, updated link.
mr_kent
Enchanter

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2003 8:45 am   

It appears that the link is not functioning.
Carabas
GURU

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2003 8:20 pm   

Try now Smile
Sniegov
Beginner

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2003 10:06 pm   

This appear when i select source and target database.:

Error number 380 ocurred in ZoneCopy:
Invalid property value
Charbal
GURU

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2003 5:22 pm   

Hmm, can you put copies of the databases up on a web server somewhere?
Sniegov
Beginner

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2003 6:47 pm   

Ok.
Please copy zone Gory
from this file to this map.

[url="mailto:"]sniegov@interia.pl[/url]
Charbal
GURU

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2003 10:55 pm   

Alright, I've fixed that and uploaded version 1.1 to the same place.

Edit: changed servers, updated link
Sniegov
Beginner

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2003 11:07 pm   

Thanks. It works great.
imri
Beginner

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2004 9:41 pm   

When I tried to open the application, it gave me this message.....

Component 'COMDLG32.OCX' or one of its dependencies not correctly registered: a file is missing or invalid

What should I do?
nexela
Wizard

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2004 1:23 am   

How much more specific can an error message be.

COMDLG32.OCX is not right! Search the MS knowladge base for how to fix it
aka DL updated controls and install them.

Also Charbal is hosting the file too http://gaernin.aswwc.net/~ibrash/files/
nexela
Wizard

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2004 7:43 am   

Might as well report a bug to see if theres any chance of it getting fixed *halo*

OTHER type exits are not importing correctly *the exits are there and connected and work just the exit type changes from OTHER to nothing*
sartut101

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2004 2:13 am   

This is tyhe GREATEST Very Happy

Thanx
Cykops
Beginner

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 12:00 pm   

Link not working =(
Taz
GURU

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 12:08 pm   

It is now hosted directly on this site at http://forums.zuggsoft.com/index.php?page=4&action=file&file_id=66 but don't forget it is a third party utility and not supported by Zugg Software.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 10:04 pm   Export and Import woes

Edited :FIX for Win7 64-bit: zmapper 1.30 beta and zmud 7.21 COMDLG32.OCX issue RESOLVED for ZoneCopy 1.2.

See Below

Last edited by kanenan on Tue Dec 18, 2012 12:29 am; edited 1 time in total
Daern
Sorcerer

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 10:27 pm   

The ZoneCopy utility is most definitely still available on the internet, right here in the zMUD plugins section of the downloads page on this site, in fact. I just tested the latest(?) version (1.20, from Taz's link above) and it worked fine for me, so it isn't missing a file or corrupted. Are you getting an error message? Posting that would help...
kanenan

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 11:02 pm   

Edited :FIX for Win7 64-bit: zmapper 1.30 beta and zmud 7.21 COMDLG32.OCX issue RESOLVED.
See Below

Last edited by kanenan on Tue Dec 18, 2012 12:27 am; edited 3 times in total
MattLofton
GURU

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 11:13 pm   

There aren't any working copies of ZoneCopy. Too many changes have occurred in Windows OS and in ZMud, and Charbal (nor anyone else) has updated the utility to keep pace. Someone may have written their own to fill in the gap, but if so they haven't been willing to share.

As for version 6.16, if you can get it to open then it should work on an ADO-format map. Thing is, any version of ZMud that included the eLicense security wrapper simply will not open because there's no longer an elicense account for it to phone home to. Earlier versions probably use an older proprietary format that Zugg abandoned. That said, it's never a good idea to open a file saved in a later-version format in an earlier version of the app. There are more bugs to corrupt your data (some of them relatively serious), and there may be format/structure changes that the earlier version doesn't know how to handle.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » Finished MUD Scripts All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: