Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
sjleonard
Beginner

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2003 11:59 pm   

Triggering with brackets

I'm trying to trigger certain rooms to store the room name in a variable and also highlight it. I can do this but my problem is that it also highlights other rooms and sets the location wrong if I go near a similar room, here's my trigger, you'll see what I mean.

#TRIGGER {^The White Mountains(%1, %2, %3, %4 and %5)}
{#Variable Location Guild-Hitching
#SUB %ansi( bold, yellow)"THE WHITE MOUNTAINS(E, SW, W, ENTER and N)"}

It's capturing this:

The White Mountains(e, enter, w, sw and n)

But because of the ()s each of the directions had to be used as variables. Is there a way to make the brackets part of the trigger pattern and not a bracket, if you see my point? I tried using ~ but might have gotten it wrong, any help?
MattLofton
GURU

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2003 12:07 am   

#trigger {The White Mountains~(e, enter, w, sw and n~)} {}
Lalaynya
Wanderer

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2003 3:31 pm   

My only comment on this is:

You should never be using %1, %2, %3, etc as part of your pattern.... this is a VERY BAD IDEA(tm)!

If you use those in patterns, you're just asking for trouble... When you post them here on the forums, you're also inviting others (read: newbs) to use them that way, as well.

Check in the help file, under the topic patterns for the list of patterns that you SHOULD be using. (I believe %1, %2, etc. function as the * pattern, though there's no gaurantee that they'll continue to function as such, seeing as they're not supposed to be used as a pattern at all.) If Zugg ever changes this so these no longer work, you're going to have a job ahead of yourself going through all your now-broken scripts, to set them up the way they should have been in the first place.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » zMUD General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: