Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
Kurt_DH
Wanderer

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2003 8:40 am   

problem

I just upgraded to the newest public version. Within 10 minutes, my screen froze. When I looked a little harder, it was the scrolling that froze. A quick up and down movement of the scroll bar fixed the problem..it's already happened twice, and I need to move the scroll bar by either using my mouse scroll wheel or the scroll bar itself. Anybody else have this problem? How can I fix it?
Kjata
GURU

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2003 2:02 pm   

You are most likely doing one of three:
1. Moving the mouse wheel
2. Hitting Scroll Lock
3. Hitting CTRL-Z

Kjata
Kurt_DH
Wanderer

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2003 10:52 pm   

quote:

You are most likely doing one of three:
1. Moving the mouse wheel
2. Hitting Scroll Lock
3. Hitting CTRL-Z

Kjata

No. First of all, this NEVER happened before in my entire life of using zMUD, except within 5 minutes of upgrading to the newest version. Second of all, I was staring at the screen without any of my fingers on the keyboard. Third of all, there are other threads of people complaining about the same thing. It almost has to be a bug.
Kjata
GURU

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2003 5:07 am   

Take it easy, OK?

Now, let's try to narrow this down so we can help Zugg. Could you tell me the MUD address and port where you have seen this happen?

Kjata
Kurt_DH
Wanderer

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2003 9:22 am   

quote:

Take it easy, OK?

Now, let's try to narrow this down so we can help Zugg. Could you tell me the MUD address and port where you have seen this happen?

Kjata

Sure, materiamagica.com 4000, and achaea.com 23
Kurt_DH
Wanderer

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2003 12:13 am   

I also realized that it happens a lot when I switch from one mud window to another. It's not the ONLY time it happens, but it happens a lot when I do that.
Kurt_DH
Wanderer

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2003 12:34 am   

And it also happens a lot when I switch from other windows non zMUD related, back to zMUD.
Anzerion
Beginner

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2003 5:01 am   

I also have been getting this error with the recent 6.61, and never before has it happened. I already made a thread the other day, and someone responde saying they deal with the same problem and many others do.

It's the exact same problem Kurt has described.
Kjata
GURU

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2003 1:18 pm   

I can't get it to fail.

Does it only happen when switching windows? Or does it also happen when you stay in just one window all by itself? If the latter is true, then try the following:

1. Log into your MUD
2. Type #DEBUG test.txt trace.txt
3. Go about playing
4. As soon as you see the problem happening, make note of around what line (from the MUD output), it happened
5. Close zMUD
6. Look for the trace.txt file in your zMUD directory, send it to me, and tell me the line where you think it happened.

I'll look over it to see if there is anything strange. If I can't find anything I'll pass it along to Zugg so he has some more stuff to look at.

Kjata
Rainchild
Wizard

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2003 3:16 pm   

I've already sent one-such set of #DEBUG's off to Zugg, but I couldn't see anything amiss... don't think it's an input-related thing, probably something else is causing it which makes it that much harder to pinpoint...

Still, wouldn't hurt to get more #DEBUG's just in case something shows up.
Larkin
Wizard

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2003 2:26 pm   

I have seen my scrolling freeze, too. One particular behavior that I found strange was the behavior of the scrollbar itself. If my scrollbar position is already at the very bottom and I click the down-arrow button, it puts the screen in split mode and scrolls back one page. This wasn't the behavior before, so it is quite unusual and annoying.

Thanks.
Anzerion
Beginner

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2003 12:10 am   

Kjata, that's the 'problem' though -- there is no common occurence. I get it when I send commands in, and when I'm sitting here just watching text scroll by -- doesn't matter how fast I'm receiving or how much I'm receiving either. It's almost completely random, and quite annoying. One thing though, I may be wrong, but it only happens when the top selected window is ZMud (the MUD Output or whatever) -- and it's nothing to do with switching between windows ;-/
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2003 2:34 am   

This should be fixed in the next version. So, when 6.62 is released, please give it a try and let me know if the problem is gone or not.

Anzerion
Beginner

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2003 4:12 am   

Ah, thankyou Zugg ;-)
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » zMUD General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: