Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
laveryuk

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2003 1:53 pm   

Target Window

I currently play a very popular MUD(MUME)that usually has 100 or more players logged on. Good for on-line gaming but bad for scrolling text, even in brief/spamless/listen_off mode.
Now when I enter a room it is sometimes difficult to select a target(victim) with
"%selword" because of the scrolling text and if I use an alias for kill <victim_name>, I lose the advantage because of my poor typing speed. Some of you software gurus may have come up with an idea already to overcome this problem, if so please can you reply. If not, I have an idea that I would like to know if it is feasible to implement on zMUD.

The idea is to filter out the target names from the client window and display them as a queue list in another window, called the "target list". Each unique target would be assigned an index number, so that the user could type "k3" or even just "3" to kill the victim assigned index 3 in the target list. To stop the target list from scrolling each time a new message appears on the client window, each target name would be compared with the current target list names and only when the target name is new, will it be added to the next vacant record of target list. I envisage the target list to be about 10 records long, so if the list is full, the new target name will replace the oldest target name in the list. As a "nice-to-have" option, a clear list command could be made available when the action has cooled down alittle. It should also be possible to still use "%selword" to select a victim.
The second problem is identifying the target name, since the target_name doesn't always appear in the same word position in each line and more than one target (one per line) can appear at each prompt.
Please can you help me.

So long and thanks for all the fish!
megamog75
Enchanter

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2003 5:26 pm   

I am not exactly sure of what your prompt lools like but here is a small idea...

Use the %pick function.

say when you enter a room and it lists everything in the room characters and mobs you could input mob names into a variable like this one:

#var killmobs fish|horse|donky|drunk

then use a trigger like this one to cetch it.

#trigger {^({@killmobs})} {#addi mightkill %1}

then at the end of your room discription you might have a blank space that you could trigger to do this:

#trigger {^$} {#PICK {p:Select a mob to kill:} {o:1} {%item(@killmob,1):kill %item(@mob,1)} {%item(@killmob,2):kill %item(@mob,2)} {%item(@killmob,3):kill %item(@mob,3)} {%item(@killmob,4):kill %item(@mob,4)} {%item(@killmob,5):kill %item(@mob,5)}}

I only listed five so that the list was short but you can add as many as you want if that item is empty it will show with a blank line.

What this will do now is catch all the @killmob's and let you chose witch one to kill first.

you could also create an #alias to help you input the mobs to the variable.

#alias addmob {#addi killmob %1}

then just type addmob horse
and horse will be added to the list...

hope this helps you..

megamog75
Keeper of the only printable help files for Zmud.
laveryuk

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2003 4:51 pm   

Thanks for your reply. I'll try it out soon, although your solution does assume knowledge of victim_names. I'll include in my next post, a sample of the MUD text if it helps to clarify my problem. Another question I have is if your solution does work, will there be a time penalty if the victim_name list is very long?

megamog75
Enchanter

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2003 10:45 pm   

Yes, your correct it does assume that you would know the victums name.

However like you said if you supply an prompt from the game it might shed some light on that.

there should be no time penelty but it will take time for you to chose a victim and I don't really know if your game penalizes you for that. but i will look again into this a put it together better for you if i can talk soon

megamog75
laveryuk

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2003 7:09 pm   

The solution doesn't work, the prompt appears every time there is a blank line. Here is an edited sample of the MUD text:

!@ CW>
C leaves east.
The Tunnels
A vicious little bandit advances towards you.
A mountain mule has arrived from the west.

!@ CW>
A bandit swiftly dodges C's attempt to smite him.
A bandit says 'Prepare to die, C!'

!@ CW>
M joins C's fight.
a
cha mood aggressive
A bandit says 'Prepare to die, M!'

!@ CW>You assist C.
A bandit says 'Prepare to die, T!'
You pierce a bandit's left foot very hard.

!@ CW a bandit:Fine C:Healthy>Ok.

!@ CW a bandit:Fine C:Healthy>
E joins C's fight.
A bandit says 'It was your last mistake E! I will remember you!'
E strongly slashes a bandit's left arm.

!@ CW a bandit:Bad C:Healthy>
E slashes a bandit's body very hard and shatters it.

!@ CW a bandit:Awful C:Healthy>
M pierces a bandit's left arm very hard and shatters it.
A bandit is mortally wounded and will die soon if not aided.
C smites a bandit's right leg extremely hard and shatters it.
You receive your share of experience.
Good job!
Your blood freezes as you hear a bandit's death cry.
A bandit is dead! R.I.P.

C leaves south.
A Narrow Tunnel
A mountain mule has arrived from the north.

megamog75
Enchanter

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2003 10:47 pm   

I see what you mean,But
Like I stated earlier I am going to try to put this into a better script for you the one i left you was just an exsample of what could be done.

I could start by making a simple mob name catch but it will probably catch all names then put them into another window for you to deside wich is the one you want to %selword for your fight.

Although loking over what you have supplied I do not see a way for it to work without haveing the mobs names stored already.

#CLASS {target_list}
#ALIAS addmob {#addi killmobs "%1"}
#ALIAS showall {#echo %replace(@killmobs,"|","%crlf")}
#VAR killmobs {A vicious little bandit|A mountain mule}
#VAR targetlist {A mountain mule|A vicious little bandit}
#TRIGGER {^({@killmobs})} {#addi targetlist "%1";#win targetlist clearall;#FORALL @targetlist {#WIN targetlist %i}}
#CLASS 0

When the targetlist window appears for the first tim you will have to clike on it ang the click on the settings button and add this trigger:

#trigger {^clearall$} {#clr}

try this out for now and i will keep plucking away at it :)

megamog75
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » zMUD General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: