Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
mapper

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2003 10:11 am   

using mapper in 5.55

i need help configuring my mapper in zmud 5.55... don't know anything about mapping and dont like the autoconfig in it... i should use #makeroom and #tag? i want to map lines like these

Evil maze [d,e,s,w,u]
Evil maze [w,e]
Evil maze [d,u,s]

I should some trigger here to "catch" those exits and to create the room itself???
"#makeroom n" creates a room but how get those exits from the room sign into it so that they show on the map?`??
LightBulb
MASTER

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2003 4:45 pm   

If you don't know anything about mapping, you should probably use the autoconfigure.

Mazes are intentionally difficult to map, and will almost always require HAND-mapping if they can be mapped at all. That's because, if you are in room A and go north to room B, going south might NOT go back to room A. In fact, there might not be any exit in room B that goes back to room A. To further confuse you, the rooms frequently have identical titles and descriptions as other rooms which may even have identical exits. However, if you do succeed in making a map by hand, it can then be added to your zMUD map using "keyboard creation" as explained in the helpfile "Editing your Map". This can be found from the Contents under Introduction to Mapping.

Some mazes aren't mappable at all. That's because they aren't permanent, but are regenerated at every boot, or (worse) get regenerated each time you enter them, or (worst) each time you move. In the first case, you could map it but the map would only be good until the next boot. In the second case, a map would be useful as long as you stayed in the maze but you'd have to start over anytime you left and re-entered. The last case would not be mappable at all. In any of these cases, a permanent map (such as the mapper makes) would be a hindrance rather than a help.

LightBulb
Advanced Member
Daagar
Magician

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2003 6:12 pm   

I strongly suggest considering an upgrade. While the mapper was fully function in 5.55, the number of changes since then is quite astounding and working better than ever. The next public version should be out within a few day potentially, which would make for a good time to upgrade.

The reason I mention this is simply because the autoconfigure in 6.5x is quite superior to what it was in 5.55, and should be able to handle your situation easily.
mapper

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2003 10:05 am   

To LightBulb:
Yes, we have those kinds of mazes too, but this maze is traditional and "linear" and perfectly mappable. It could be considered to be "a normal area"(meaning no portals, no overlapping rooms etc...) but the fact that its very big makes it a maze. It would be nice to use triggers to guide the mapper sense i don't normally need a mapper. I don't need any descs of rooms, just want those tinny rectangles in the map with room exits visible.
LightBulb
MASTER

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2003 4:20 pm   

You still haven't given any reason not to use the autoconfig. Even when using #TAG, the actual config is still usually done by the mapper's autoconfig wizard. Since you aren't interested in descriptions, you'll probably want to select just the Room Title and Room Exits when the wizard asks which components to look for.

#TAG looks fairly obvious. It's an almost exact duplicate of one of the examples for the #TAG helpfile, I just dropped the 'vnum' at the end of it.
#TR {(*) ~[(*)~]} {#TAG name,exit {%1} {%2}}

You'll probably need to do another trigger to #TAG your prompt. Be sure to use the "prompt" option if you make the trigger at the command line or set the Trigger on "Prompt" option in the editor.

After making your #TAGs, you'll still have to go through the mapper configuration wizard.

LightBulb
Advanced Member
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » zMUD General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: