Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
gedron
Beginner

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2003 11:05 pm   

OT: Mud recomendation Request

Hi,
A long time ago (mid 90's) I played on a few MUD's. I left them behind due to assorted ugly happenings between the GOD's and other players on the sites I played on. Not too long ago, I came across a link to this site when I was looking for something work related (believe it or not) and I became interested in looking into the MUD scene again.

I've visited a handfull of MUD's that appeared to be popular, but they didn't really apeal to me (not even the newest re-incarnation of an old favorite - Sojourn). I was wondering if someone here might have a MUD recomendation for me to try out.

I'm partial to Monk's, or other martial artist type classes. I don't mind PK worlds, but I don't want to keep getting killed by some jerk before I get a chance to check the place out. I'd like the MUD to have a decent number (50 or more average) of folks to play with, and a generaly frendly/helpfull atmosphere.

Thanks,
Gedron
shibbidy joe
Wanderer

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2003 11:11 pm   

Gemstone III meets those requirements, though you have some of the towns are better than others about roleplaying. PK is allowed if it's warrented and in character. Incredibly friendly atmosphere. As for the martial arts, while there's not martial arts class, there's a society you can join (Voln) which teaches punches, kicks, and throws to be used against the undead. At least 200 people on at any given time. Usually 500-1000. Only problem with GS is that it's pay per play. http://gemstone.net/

-Shib
P.S. While I've never played it, gemstone's spin off game DragonRealms has gotten much acclaim as well. From what I gather it's not as number oriented as Gemstone.
LPMala
Beginner

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2003 11:29 pm   

GS3 is a wonderful game. Though it is friggin huge. =) Another MUD you might try out is Lost Prophecy. It's a one I currently play at. We usually have about 15-20 players on. A friendly place, as long as you don't annoy people and atleast try to find things out yourself. If you wanna give it a look, check out lp.betterbox.net or my homepage home.centurytel.net/loi
Anabasis
Wanderer

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2003 11:30 pm   

quote:
While I've never played it, gemstone's spin off game DragonRealms has gotten much acclaim as well. From what I gather it's not as number oriented as Gemstone.

Yep, they keep a lot of the numbers out of sight in Dragonrealms. You'll find the same generally friendly atmosphere there too, though.

We don't have a specialized martial arts class either, but we do have brawling, which is usable by all classes, with a few special moves reserved for a couple of them.

Ana
gedron
Beginner

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2003 12:07 am   

quote:

quote:
While I've never played it, gemstone's spin off game DragonRealms has gotten much acclaim as well. From what I gather it's not as number oriented as Gemstone.

Yep, they keep a lot of the numbers out of sight in Dragonrealms. You'll find the same generally friendly atmosphere there too, though.

We don't have a specialized martial arts class either, but we do have brawling, which is usable by all classes, with a few special moves reserved for a couple of them.

Ana

Thanks for the pointers, I'll look at them but I'd realy prefer to find a place that does have a martial arts class. All recomendations are welcome.

Gedron
Vijilante
SubAdmin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2003 12:28 am   

Though I am loathe to recommend it, the best implementation of martial arts in a mud that I have ever seen was done by a commercial mud. The reason I don't like to reccomend it is because there are no "GODS/IMMORTALS", no custom item capabilities, and generally little to no roleplay. You can find thousands of places running MajorMud at http://www.mudcentral.com/bbs_reviews/index.html also check out the mystic class for the martial arts master. Upside of having thousands of copies of the exact same mud: maps are very available, items, spells, mobs, quests, and everything else is highly documented.
doomfyre
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2003 12:51 am   

My current favorite mud is Materia Magica.
They have the monk class you're looking for, multiclassing, quests, a huge world, 200+ players at any given time and much more. It's completely free, although they do have a donation system whereby you can get special items. Some say this gives those that donate an advantage over those that don't, but i haven't found that to be true at all. PK also exists, but its limited to certain clearly marked rooms, that are easily avoidable.

If that one doesn't suit your fancy, have a look at Top Mud Sites. This is a listing of the most popular muds, with reviews, a nice forum, etc.

Good Luck!
theoldone
Novice

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2003 12:54 am   

I like The Edge of Darkness but only about 10 at the most on at a time now.

Http://www.ofdarkness.net/
AzCowboy
Adept

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2003 2:06 am   

You could try my favorite mud... The Towers of Jadri (toj.jadri.com Port 4000) Very friendly atmosphere, and classless, so although there is no 'Monk' class, you can specialize in Martial arts, with the possibility through roleplay of developing your own unique fighting form.

While we don't have 50 people online at a time, it's unique, and there are usually at least 10 people on. (They tend to congregate in one town, for RP...)

Try it, you may like it...
tbone235
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2003 2:56 am   

altho not a monk/ martial art mud, a lot of ppl including myself enjoy aardwolf mud average of around 300 players on at a time, and lots of fun :)
check it out at...
www.aardwolfmud.org
MattLofton
GURU

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2003 3:29 am   

quote:

Hi,
A long time ago (mid 90's) I played on a few MUD's. I left them behind due to assorted ugly happenings between the GOD's and other players on the sites I played on. Not too long ago, I came across a link to this site when I was looking for something work related (believe it or not) and I became interested in looking into the MUD scene again.

I've visited a handfull of MUD's that appeared to be popular, but they didn't really apeal to me (not even the newest re-incarnation of an old favorite - Sojourn). I was wondering if someone here might have a MUD recomendation for me to try out.

I'm partial to Monk's, or other martial artist type classes. I don't mind PK worlds, but I don't want to keep getting killed by some jerk before I get a chance to check the place out. I'd like the MUD to have a decent number (50 or more average) of folks to play with, and a generaly frendly/helpfull atmosphere.

Thanks,
Gedron

How about Dragon's Gate ($10/month RP-encouraged MUD)? Rather small, and lacking in the code support department (non-coding support is in bountiful supply both among the Elders/Immortals and the general playerbase), it's one of the oldest out there (at the moment, it's about 12-14 years old).

You can see playing details at www.dragons-gate.com, and you can drop in amongst the playerbase in our forums at http://pub13.ezboard.com/bdragonsgate (don't post in the IC forums unless you sign your posts with a verifiable in-game character name else the moderators will delete them without necessarily telling you why).

li'l shmoe of Dragon's Gate MUD
Troubadour
GURU

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2003 3:34 am   

The purpose of these forums is the discussion of zMUD and other Zuggsoft products.

Discussion of the merits and demerits of particular MUDs should be performed elsewhere. I recommend The MUD Connector, Kyndig.com, and Top MUD Sites for these types of discussion.

Troubadour
(Win 98, Pentium III, 550 MHz)
GuinnessDNA
Beginner

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2003 6:40 am   

As much as I'de hate to say it, because It took me forever to peel myself away from it, if your willing to pay for it Everquest (not a ZMud mud...) has a terrific Monk class... I would wait for EQ2 though because no point in wasting your time on a mud thats going to die. It has a less friendly enviroment than people are used to, but if you find people who actually like mudding in there to be consistant friend you can have a terrific time. I almost failed out of college because of it so I've told myself NO MORE EQ.. instead i've been playing Gemstone, which is amazing for its detail and role playing. much less "normal person" oriented (everquest has the graphical interface, and appeals to everyone not just mudders, true RPers can develop pictures in their minds).

If your intrested in monks though, give it a try, they've got that month free trial and its pretty enjoyable... but if you have anything you need to keep in touch with at a regular basis in real life... stay away.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » zMUD General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: