Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
Davos
Adept

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2003 4:10 pm   

Slowing the Walk

In the MUD I play the mud reacts when you speedwalk to fast and makes you wait, even if I set the setting to SLOW on my mapper for speedwalking its too fast, I was wondering if there was a way to make this go even slower? or if i was just tuff outa luck?

The Seaworthy
Kjata
GURU

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2003 4:32 pm   

Go into the Preferences and give a higher value to Sendline delay under Script Parser.

Kjata
Davos
Adept

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2003 12:58 am   

This doesnt seem to slow down my walking when I use the mapper to walk around, I set it as high as 20 and still goes just as fast, is there a very minute time difference between 1 and 20? or am I in the wrong spot?

The Seaworthy
doomfyre
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2003 1:58 am   

I think the value is in milliseconds, so you would want to use 1000 for 1 second delay. Emphasis on 'I think'.
Davos
Adept

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2003 2:07 am   

Nope changed it to 2000 still the same speed of walk, this must not change what im trying to change, i want it to go slower when i double click on a loc in my map and i have it in follow mode, basicly speed walking, the setting in the map config of SLOW isnt slow enough needs to be at least a second before each command any ideas?

The Seaworthy
MattLofton
GURU

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2003 2:17 am   

quote:

Nope changed it to 2000 still the same speed of walk, this must not change what im trying to change, i want it to go slower when i double click on a loc in my map and i have it in follow mode, basicly speed walking, the setting in the map config of SLOW isnt slow enough needs to be at least a second before each command any ideas?

The Seaworthy

You could try the new room aliases, using one of them to set up an alarm that sends the next direction.

EDIT: whoops, those are part of the latest batch of beta versions. If you happen to be using said version, go ahead and check those aliases out otherwise you're probably gonna have to trigger off your exits line (if sendline delay isn't working).

li'l shmoe of Dragon's Gate MUD
Davos
Adept

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2003 2:35 am   

Where can I find these new room aliases? I looked in help, and yes i should have new Beta version - 6.40

The Seaworthy
Davos
Adept

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2003 2:46 am   

Ooops nope didn't have new Beta, Do now tho and found the new alias onroomenter than triggers when I enter a room, but how do i get it to pause the slow walk when onroomenter is triggered then restart it back up 2 seconds later? any ideas anyone?

The Seaworthy
Davos
Adept

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2003 2:59 am   

Ugh One more post I think i got the delay set between steps by changing the timeout, but now, with my mud, the first line of the description of a room can and often does change depending on certain things, and when you slow walk it matches the first line of the description before saying ok move on, this causes me a problem, one thing i did read tho is that if you room doesnt have a desc it will match the room name instead, and since those dont change is there a way i can loop thru all the rooms on my map one by one and set the roomdesc to ""? like set up an alias to do this or something? ANY ideas would be helpfull if i can auto delete the desc out of my 800+ mapped rooms this would be very very nice and i think then the slow walk would work thx

The Seaworthy
Davos
Adept

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2003 3:30 am   

AHHHH so Confusing, How come, it says in help that if you have no descriptions in your MUD rooms, SLOW walk will match to the Room name in order to give the #GO command for the next step? And when I delete the desc out of several room, then turn off room desc in map settings then try to get it to match to the room name and it doesnt try to match it all it just throws the commands in 1 after another without stopping to check? HEEEEEEEEEEELP

The Seaworthy
Davos
Adept

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2003 3:43 am   

Hmmm ok since im talking to myself Ill continue j/kidding
Anyways figured out a way to match the desc even tho it changes i just use the room name for the desc and the room name, and thats a constant, now the problem continues, because the timeout feature doesnt control the time betweent commands just controls the time it allows to recieve the description before it throws the new command in, no i need to pause the walk apun entrance using that new alias, and then I can use #OK or #STEP to continue it I believe hard part is pausing it, Help?

The Seaworthy
MattLofton
GURU

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2003 4:22 am   

quote:

Hmmm ok since im talking to myself Ill continue j/kidding
Anyways figured out a way to match the desc even tho it changes i just use the room name for the desc and the room name, and thats a constant, now the problem continues, because the timeout feature doesnt control the time betweent commands just controls the time it allows to recieve the description before it throws the new command in, no i need to pause the walk apun entrance using that new alias, and then I can use #OK or #STEP to continue it I believe hard part is pausing it, Help?

The Seaworthy

Whether you use the onroomenter alias or have to trigger off of some part of your room info (I suggested the exits line), you will want to use an #alarm. Since the sendline delay actually affects ALL input to the mud, the #alarm to slow up your speedwalking might actually be the preferable course as it will allow you to slow up only the walking commands issued for that path.

li'l shmoe of Dragon's Gate MUD
Davos
Adept

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2003 4:35 am   

Since I dunno if im getting my point accross Ill drop it, It doesnt Matter what i trigger off of if theres nothing in that trigger to stop the input of the directions by the speedwalk, but oh well I guess, just not gonna work because of the fact this game make you wait before you move, or it says your going to fast, Thanks.

The Seaworthy
LightBulb
MASTER

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2003 5:36 am   

#TR {You're going too fast} {#STOP;#ALA +1 #STEP}

I'm not a map person, so I'm not sure those are the right commands, but something along those lines should work. The alarm delay can be increased if 1 second is too short.

LightBulb
Advanced Member
Droid
Novice

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2003 11:24 am   

That last trigger has a problem:
If you stop your slowwalk,and dont want to go where you was slowwalking any more,and,for example,do:
recall
east
then,after going into next room,#stop and #step are executed,so you will be doing again the slowwalk u didnt want to do :(
LightBulb
MASTER

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2003 7:52 pm   

No, you'll be resuming the slowwalk you did want to do, but changed your mind about.

Many people have complained about the problem of not being able to speedwalk at all because their MUD's coders have deliberately sabotaged that ability. I gave a solution.

You are the first to complain that it interferes with your ability to recall midwalk. However the solution is really no more difficult than informing zMUD you changed your mind.

#AL recall {#SLOW .;#RECALL;~recall}
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » zMUD General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: