Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
MinT_T

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2002 11:23 pm   

Using databases

Ok, I'm kinda new to this database thing, and the if statements for zmud so bear with me :)

Umm, what I want to do is keep track of how many times I become better at a certain skill/spell. Everytime an increase in skill/spell message appears I want an update to a database thatll keep track of how many times its been updated since the last time I checked. So this would require some kind of deleting method everytime I check the updates.

Messages for improvement:
You have become better at rescue!
You learn from your mistakes, and your rescue skill improves.

Would it also be possible to keep track of the last time I checked the update ?
iljhar
GURU

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2002 8:20 am   

Just out of curiousity, why does this have to be in a database? This can be accomplished without the database:

#trigger {You have become better at rescue!|You learn from your mistakes, and your rescue skill improves.} {#add Counter 1}

#alias Check {#say The rescue skill has increased @Counter times since you last checked.;#var Counter 0}

Now, if you're trying to play with databases just because you want to learn, then that's a different story. I'll let someone else handle that part for now, heh.

Iljhar
Troubadour
GURU

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2002 9:30 am   

To expand the above to react to any better, use a record variable.

#TR {You have become better at (*)!} {#ADDKEY betters "%1" %eval(%db(@betters,"%1") + 1)}

#TR {You learn from your mistakes, and your (*) skill improves.} {#ADDKEY betters "%1" %eval(%db(@betters,"%1") + 1)}

#ALIAS check_better {#SHOW You have bettered the "%-1" skill %db(@betters,"%-1") times.; #DELKEY betters "%-1"}

#ALIAS check_all_betters {#LOOPDB @betters {#SHOW You have bettered the %key skill %val times.}; #VAR betters ""}

Troubadour
(Win 98, Pentium III, 550 MHz)
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » zMUD General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: