Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
Troubadour
GURU

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2002 10:38 pm   

Windows 98, ME, and 2000 Users Please Read

Attention users of Windows 98, Windows ME, and Windows 2000:

zMUD version 6.40 uses Microsoft Data Access Components for its mapper. The converted maps are stored as a Microsoft database.

In order for the new version to run quickly and efficiently on Win 98, Win ME, and Win 2000, your MDAC protocols must be up to date.

Search for files named msadomd.dll and msador15.dll and check their version numbers. If their version is less than 2.7, you must update your MDAC protocols.

If its version is less than 2.5, you must install MDAC 2.5 SP2 first.

You must then install MDAC 2.7 RTM Refresh Release.

These are Microsoft operating system components, not zMUD software.

If you installed zMUD 6.40 and converted any maps before updating your MDAC protocols, you must reconvert your maps using the latest zConvert.exe utility included in version 6.40 download.

Windows XP shipped with the latest protocols. No update should be necessary for XP users.

Troubadour
(Win 98, Pentium III, 550 MHz)
Xymog
Novice

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2002 1:58 am   

Upgrading your older MDAC components is, in general, a good idea; a November 20, 2002 Microsoft security bulletin recommends an upgrade to 2.7 due to security issues with earlier versions including 2.1, 2.5 and 2.6. See this link for more information:

http://www.microsoft.com/security/security_bulletins/ms02-065.asp

HOWEVER, as with any upgrade, make backups of your existing files first, run backups on your zMUD data / maps / &tc., and if you use the System Restore feature in Windoze it's not a bad idea to run it and make a restore point.

Lastly, if you're doing your MUDding on a work machine, your network gurus may not allow this, or you need older versions of MDAC to run custom applications in-house. Discreetly ask around and point them at the MS Security Bulletin as the excuse for upgrading and see what they say.

Good luck! (And thanks, Zugg and gurus, for getting this release out in time for the holidays!)
Charbal
GURU

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2002 3:16 am   

Additionally, Windows 95 users without Winsock 2.0 installed will need to install that.

If you don't have Winsock 2.0 installed, you'll get the error message "Error on loading Winsock 2 library (WS2_32.DLL). One of the library files needed to run this application cannot be found."

Download site for Winsock 2.0

This does not affect Windows 98 or ME, or 2000 (which makes it an odd fit for this topic, but hey :P)

- Charbal
mma
Beginner

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2002 9:05 am   

small note for Win2K Users, if you´ve got the bandwidth you can download Windows 2000 Service Pack 3 and you are all fixed up for running Zmud 6.40 (would be a good idea to update for various security reasons in W2k as well ;-)

And by the way - running Zmud 6.40 24h straight, works great! Only thing that troubles me is ...i could never live without the mapper anymore
Zafrusteria
Wanderer

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2002 9:45 pm   

Win 2000 users,

With a clean install of Win 2000, and then going to the MS update site to get SP3. Zmud 6.40 and zmapper work fine.

btw with a 56K modem it takes about 2 hours to download and install. MS are not exactly telling the whole truth when they say it's 640K :-)

Zaf

Zaf
Haroun

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2002 8:11 am   

Well, I installed 2.5, and now my Zmud crashes :P Oh well, should have left well enough alone. Still trying to fix it.

edit : Got it working, took installing it 3 times in a row and rebooting. Dunno why, but now it works great!
Troubadour
GURU

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2003 8:11 am   

*BUMP*

Troubadour
(Win 98, Pentium III, 550 MHz)
DTYIO00

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2003 9:02 am   

Thanks. The upgrade to MDAC 2.7 helped fix my problem on Win 2K. The upgrade to SP3 which I did first did not

DTYIO00
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2003 7:54 pm   

Also, just to add the latest info, please read the page http://www.zuggsoft.com/data It has specific instructions for each version of Windows on installing the latest ADO/MDAC files and getting all of the correct Service Packs installed on your system.

Edit: Ton Diening
I took the period out beside the link which caused it to look for unknown page data.

Edited by - tondiening on 03/23/2003 01:12:47
Feanor
Novice

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2003 5:09 am   

Zugg (or anyone really) I get a 404 when I try to follow that link. Could you update it please?

I'm running Windows98SE on a PIII 500 w/ 128 megs of ram. I frequently run TeamSpeak http://www.teamspeak.org so I can have voice comms with my party while mudding, but zMUD locks up when I'm not running TeamSpeak as well.
Thanks
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » zMUD General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: