Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Talahaski
Enchanter

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2002 5:50 am   

Bitmap Editor

Ok, this one is a bit tricky.

Take a hax map with a plain water room. Right click on the room and go to edit bitmap.

Using the pen set to a different color light green, draw a 2 pixel deep line at the very top of the bitmap image going from left to right.

Next, using the pen and same color, starting at the top left, draw a 1 pixel line at the very left from the top to the bottom. When you get to the bottom something weird happens and the hex gets altered and system resources get eaten up. Sometimes I get out of system resouce errors, other times I just notice that the water hex displayed a white square in it.

Talahaski
Processor PIII 1000
Memory 265MB
Video NVIDIA 64MB
Windows XP
Zmud Version 6.34
Zmapper Version 1.10
Vijilante
SubAdmin

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2002 7:42 am   

This relates to the lower-left corner spot being used to preform transparency. While I must consider it a bug, it is a known issue with how Zugg overcame something that is lacking in the Windows OS.

I would like to recommend to Zugg that he take the time to either put a second mask bitmap in, (like an icon file or how some Mac bitmaps were handled) or he use an extra pixel slot to provide a single mask/transparency color (ie 1 beyond the size of the bitmap instead of 1 that is inside the bitmap)
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2002 6:02 pm   

It's not a matter of "taking the time." Windows doesn't support transparency in it's basic BMP bitmap image format. As Vijilante mentioned, doing transparency correctly requires creating and storing a separate bitmap mask. The overhead for this is substantial, since it doubles the amount of bitmap storage needed.

There is no way to simply store an extra transparent color value. The Windows BMP file format has no place to store this information.

It is Windows "convention" to use the lower-left pixel as the transparent color for transparent bitmaps. You can turn off the Transparent option in the Bitmap editor and then it won't do this. But if you want transparent bitmaps, there is little I can do to improve this and maintain compatibility with BMP files.

Talahaski
Enchanter

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2002 6:23 pm   

How about just a warning if you have transparency on and you try to color that pixel, you get a warning telling you this will result in the transparency turning off.

I think most users would not understand this and so a warning would help if you try to color it.

Talahaski
Processor PIII 1000
Memory 265MB
Video NVIDIA 64MB
Windows XP
Zmud Version 6.34
Zmapper Version 1.10
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » zMapper Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: