Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
horks
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2001 6:36 pm   

Idle warnings

The mud i play on is very strict about idling. I can't be fighting while idle, or have triggers go off that would keep me from idling out. So my question is, How can i set up a ticker to tell me that I haven't sent any commands to the mud for 5 minutes?
Darker
GURU

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2001 7:00 pm   

My question is: How would they *know* you've been idle except for a trigger going off?

Indulge me while I ignore your real question

You could create an alarm trigger (temporary) set for a random number of seconds that sends a random command to the mud. I'd like to see that get caught.

And back to your question, look into #ALARM for a reliable way to set a trigger to notify you (play a sound, open a #MESSage window to get your attention, etc) that it's been 5 minutes. As far as setting it up so that it happens when you've not entered commands for 5 minutes, here's my first (untested) thought:

You might be able to make an "oninput" trigger set to the "*" pattern that'll #UNTrigger any existing 5 minute alarms, and then create a new one.

Anybody want to provide code for this? Man, I miss not having zMUD at work.

zMUD 6 Online Help: All the power you'll ever need.
Acaila
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2001 7:22 pm   

As far as I have been able to figure out, #ALARM once set cannot be aborted nor reset, only #TIMER can. So, here's my attempt:

#ONINPUT {*} {
#TSET 300
#TIMER (1) {WhatEverYouWantItToDo} (0)
}

#TSET 300 equals about 5 mins I think, dunno how accurate it is though. The "0" in the #TIMER part shuts off the message it's about to expire. Using #GAG to remove the "Tick timer enabled" and "Timer now at 5 minutes" messages would be advisable too :)

Just as a side-note. The only way the mud can prevent you from triggering on idle, is by preventing any commands from executing while idle. And if you can't sent any commands, then how could you start playing again if you wanted to....? And as far as rules go, there's always ways around those :)

Acaila
horks
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2001 8:18 pm   

To answer your first question darker, they know i'm idle, cuz they have a timer set to time last command i entered. I could set up a trigger like you said, to send random commands at random times. But it'd look a little suspicious if i were pulling up guiild screens, charater screens, and what not without doing moving around. The wizards are dicks, I don't wanna piss them off, I just want a warning on my screen when I am flagged as idle on the mud.

Thanks for the trigger. I have a problem tho, maybe it's just stupid me, i don't know ... i can't seem to put a command in for the trigger to do. Example, This doesn't work:

#TIMER (1) {#mess You've been idle for 5 minutes} (0)

This does work:

#TIMER (1) {blah} (0)

i want to do something like the first tho .. any help? :)
horks
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2001 9:04 pm   

weird ... the syntax checker tells me there is something wrong with that trigger, but it works ... i left it in, and it's going off just fine .. thanks for all your help :)
Kjata
GURU

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2001 12:56 pm   

To illustrate Darker's example:
#TRIGGER {You idle out.} {#MATH wait %random( 10, 40);#ALARM {+@wait} {#CASE %random {look} {cw} {~recall} {inv} {sc} {affects}}}

When you recieve the idle out message, the trigger sets a time to wait (min 10s - max 40s) and creates a temporary alarm that waits that random time. When the alarm fires, it executes a random command from the list shown. If I were an immortal looking at your actions, it would seem like the person is not actively playing the game (browsing, eating, or something else), but every once in a while he comes back and enter a command to look at what's happening and make sure the character is still connected. As far as I have seen on MUD this is perfectly legal.

Also, you can extend the time to wait if 10-40 seconds seems to little and you can put many more commands in the list to execute to make it seem even more normal. You can even put direction commands, so you move a room every once in a while. Hey, if you want to get fancy, you can even capture the current exits of the room and if you are going to move in a direction, choose from only those, so you don't get the "You can't go that way" messages.

Remember, anything is possible, and for every check human or otherwise that admins implement, there is a workaround. Yes, I know, talking back coherently when someone sends you a tell is almost impossible (and that you can solve it by having it play a sound or something so you are notified that human reaction is now necessary), but even Darker once posted and example of a server that had an AI speech bot that could produce pretty good replies to almost anything you said to it.

Kjata
finraziel

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2002 9:22 pm   

Extremely late reply, I know =P but just wanted to for people that might find this note through a search like I did... You can delete alarms quite easily.
I have the following set up (after finding out about the oninput command from this thread :D)
#oninput {*} {#untrig +1800; #untrig +1700; #alarm +1800{quit;#disconnect}; #alarm +1700 {#echo idle out in 1 minute...; #beep}
#gag {Trigger ~{+1700~} removed.}
#gag {Trigger ~{+1800~} removed.}

Now all I need to figure out is how to gag the untrig messages without gagging my prompt... Maybe I'll just colour the first message black and gag the second message.
iljhar
GURU

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2002 1:51 am   

If you give your alarm an id, then you don't have to keep deleting and adding the same alarm. You can just overwrite it:

#oninput {*} {#alarm "Blah" +300 {dothis}}

Iljhar
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » zMUD General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: