Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Kjata
GURU

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2002 11:44 pm   

Error on close

This might not be of much help to track the problem down, but here it goes.

When I close zMapper, I receive a series of errors (three to be exact). The errors are:
  • Exception EAccessViolation in module zMapper.exe at 00003A1C
    Access violation at address 00403A1C in module 'zMapper.exe'. Read of address 0000001C.

• Access violation at address 0045CCAB in module 'zMapper.exe'. Read of address 00000290.

• Runtime error 216 at 00066CFC

These errors only show up after I have closed zMapper. While using zMapper, everything is fine. I can do anything and I get no errors. It is only after I have closed zMapper that the errors pop up. I know it is not a problem with trying to save the datbase since I made some changes to some rooms, I clicked saved, and no errors appeared. Only after I close zMapper they appear, whether I made changes in the map or not.

Also, I know it is not map corruption because this also happens with a backup of my map (which hasn't been changed since before version 1.10) and also with the sample maps provided with zMapper.

Finally, this appears to be a problem introduced in 1.10 because I have a copy of 1.04 and it does not happen with this version.

I'm using Windows XP. This is a fresh install of zMapper.

Kjata
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2002 11:00 pm   

The way Windows works is that any memory allocated while running a program is deallocated when you close it. So, *any* memory error/bug that occured when the program was running is often not detected till you close the program.

Soo.....this means that the error depends upon exactly what you did while zMapper was open. If you can come up with a procedure the reproduces the crash on exit, then I should be able to fix it.

It's one of the hardest and most annoying types of bug to track down I'm afraid.

Kjata
GURU

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2002 12:01 am   

Yeah, but I'm afraid you won't be able to reproduce it because it happens no matter what I do. I can just open zMapper and close it after it has opened and the errors come up. I can work on a map for 2 hours and the close zMapper and the errors come up. They do not seem to be tied to a particular course of action except opening zMapper. Also, like I said, it happens with any map, even the sample ones, so it can't be map corruption.

Lets see if someone else reports it. Meanwhile, I'll try to change some stuff in my computer, in case it is something wrong with my comp and I'll test it out in my home computer when I go there this weekend.

Kjata
Rainchild
Wizard

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2002 3:04 am   

I haven't had this issue with zmapper, however when it was running as a plugin to zmud, I got similar errors which prevented zmud from closing (had to end task it to get out).

I'll get the exact violations when I get home and post them.
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2002 5:16 am   

You might try reinstalling your MDAC software. That's one of the main causes of some problems it seems. I have v2.5 on my system here, so I'm pretty sure it's stable with that version. There are a lot of odd little differences between the various versions however. Microsoft did a pretty poor job maintaining compatibility across versions, and zMapper uses a lot more of ADO than zMUD does.

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » zMapper Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: