Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
dark75rose
Beginner

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2002 1:30 pm   

Odd problem with Zmud freezing

On more than one mud I play whenever I type certain commands like users, or list in a shop that has a lot of stuff, or even just score, the screen totally freezes. Prior to that I can hunt, walk around, look, talk, anything, but if I do certain things (mentioned above) the screen just stops moving, and the command never goes through. I hit reconnect, logon screen comes up just fine, i can re-enter my username and password, and can still look, hunt, walk, talk, etc, but I never can get those commands to go through.

At first I thought it was a bad .mud file, and tried following the help files to correct it, but then I realized this is happening on more than one of my muds, and they don't use the same settings or .mud files. Any suggestions you have would be welcomed, thanks.

Darkrose
zeroz

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2002 5:51 pm   

Hmm...

Do you have any idea if these muds use the same code base?

It's a long shot, but if you're playing similar MUDs that use some of the same code in various places, there could be a bit of text (like an ANSI code) being sent that's giving you problems. I've never encountered it myself, but it's worth looking into I think.

What version of zMUD are you using, by the way?

- Z
dark75rose
Beginner

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2002 8:17 pm   

Hmm, interesting point. All three instances of the commands that cause it to freeze, do have ansi in what should be displayed. Though, everything else on the mud that I do has some ansi involved for room names, when I look at myself, monsters I hunt, etc and works fine. But it's a logical possibility.

I currently use Zmud version 5.55. I did try upgrading when 6.2 came out, but I didn't care for the way things changed in making classes for my aliases, so I went back to using my old one. This was many months back, and I've been having no problems until recently.

Ah, but isn't that the way it always is... it works until it's broken. I hear that all the time. :p

Oh yes, one of the muds uses TMI based code, and the other was unnamed, unique code. (couldn't find it specified anywhere) How about suggestions for what to do if it is a problem with ansi coming through?

Darkrose
zeroz

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2002 11:06 pm   

I'd just double check your zMUD ANSI settings. Nothing much you can do short of disable ANSI period.

Though, it is odd if other places have ANSI codes. Unless all three MUDs are trying some weird type of ANSI formatting... I don't know what to tell ya.

Might want to try that upgrade. ;)

- Z
Kjata
GURU

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2002 1:18 pm   

If it happens when a lot of stuff is sent by the MUD, then I'd suggest you check to see if you are using the latest drivers for your network card. This sometimes causes this problem.

Kjata
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » zMUD General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: