Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
Emit
Magician

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2002 9:28 pm   

characters in folders

i've been adding alot of new characters to zmud 6.16. i tried to organize them with folders, but now all sorts of funny stuff is happening. i'm getting multiple instance of the same character in the wrong folders, and some folders just vanished, taking the characters with them. has anyone had this problem before? know how to fix it, or if i'm doing something wrong? is this cleared up in other more recent versions?
Vijilante
SubAdmin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2002 10:06 pm   

I seem to recall some bugs reported about something like that in a recent beta, as the version history didn't show any changes in that area since 6.16 I can only guess that it is a bug that escaped all the beta testers prior to that version.
LightBulb
MASTER

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2002 12:17 am   

In the character database for 6.16, if you drag and drop one folder on top of another folder the first folder disappears. It still exists, but you can't see it.

The solution is to go to the Edit dropdown menu on the top line and select Show All. I don't remember if this will show the missing folders but it will show all the characters inside them.

If you want to, you can now select a character by right-clicking its icon, and then Copy (to put it on the clipboard). Right-click again and Delete. Turn off Show All, then right-click anywhere and Paste. Presto! One character pulled back to the main screen. After you're sure you have all your characters back to the main screen you can delete all the folders and start over.

This can take quite awhile if you've got a lot of characters lost in limbo. Sorry I can't suggest anything better.

This was reported when 6.16 (or perhaps 6.15) first came out.

LightBulb
Emit
Magician

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2002 4:12 am   

that still doesn't explain the multiple instances (unless i'm missing something). a character i've moved to a folder will appear in triplicate after its been connected and closed once.
also, i might have more information. the same process that caused all the problems in 6.16 generated a "char record not found" error in 6.32. in 6.32 it wouldn't let me close the window or exit zmud, just kept trying to tell me "char record not found". maybe this will shed some light on the subject ?
LightBulb
MASTER

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2002 4:44 am   

I wasn't trying to explain it. I was just giving you a way of dealing with it. My personal recommendations would be:
1. Report this on the beta forum (since you've moved to 6.32)
2. Stop using folders until you have reason to believe it might be fixed

LightBulb
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » zMUD General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: