Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
hodgkinr
Wanderer

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2002 10:35 pm   

Zmud struggling a bit

I have been using Zmud now for a few months. Some of my maps are getting a bit large now. The version i'm running is 6.26a beta. I added a bit more to my maps last night and I am now getting small window apearing in the client screen, telling me there is and invalid immage list. This seems to be a bigger problem when I mouse over the mapper. Also if I CTRL+Tab out and try to load another programme it says not enough memory.

This is crap I have a dual pentium processor with 1 gig of rimm memory.

Just as an aside I have always had a problem when trying to load Zmud. Sometimes it fails 3-4 times b4 it will let me load into my game. I am currently running Ms 2000 pro. Also for your info Zmud prompted me that there was a new version of Zmud available, and asked "did i want to upgrade" which i stupidly said yes too the result was a beta version ack!
Kjata
GURU

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2002 11:12 pm   

First you should know that "I didn't know it was a beta version" is no excuse. Zugg got pretty ticked off a few days ago because there are too many people saying that something bad happened to them when they downloaded the beta version and they didn't know that it was a beta version. If you don't know you are downloading a beta version, it is your own fault for not reading. When you get the screen prompting you to upgrade, it tells you if the version is a beta version and it even lets you disable the upgrade notification for beta version. Furthermore, the release notes say that the version is a beta version and advises you to backup your files and don't use it if you do not want to deal with the bugs.

Having said that, I think that you should either e-mail this to Zugg or post it in the Beta Forum so he can get a look at your error. Maybe he can figure out the cause of your problem with your help.

Kjata
LightBulb
MASTER

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2002 12:07 am   

Just got the notice for 6.32 and it looks like all the rest did

Version 6.32 is now available
This is a BETA version

Hard to believe you could read the line with the version number and miss the BETA notice on the line right underneath it.

LightBulb
seamer
Magician

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2002 12:31 am   

i must be out of the loop, i havent heard of rimm ram, and ms 2000 pro must be windows 2k pro. (ignoring the harshness in the request)
what did you add to the maps? is it important to have what you added?

do you have photoshop installed, does PS complain you dont have memory configured properly? do any other programs talk about memory problems?

more importantly, have you installed any service packs for win2k? visit windowsupdate.microsoft.com and check around, its perfect for people with little knowhow on PC's.

when you run zmud, what else are you running? dual pentiums may sound like a lot, but each extra running program puts strain on. did you disable the swapfile? re-enable it. did you shrink the swapfile down to a crazy number? there are -alot- of programs that wont work properly without a swapfile.

point is, zmud isnt always the culprit. (cough, BETA BETA BETA, cough)

Why oh WHY did I have pass door on...
Vijilante
SubAdmin

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2002 1:14 am   

quote:
----------
Also for your info Zmud prompted me that there was a new version of Zmud available, and asked "did i want to upgrade" which i stupidly said yes too the result was a beta version ack!
-----------
That sound like you believe a beta version to be a bad thing. Although this confuses me.
quote:
----------
The version i'm running is 6.26a beta.
----------
Seems like you were happy runing a beta. Also gives me the impression you are not really sure what version you are running.

Then I see your system specs:
This is crap I have a dual pentium processor with 1 gig of rimm memory.

I have some simple questions. Are your RIMM modules properly paired? Are you aware that dual processors only allow windows to run 2 threads concurrently, and if the threads are not coded in the right fashion windows will not run 2 from the same program at the same time.

Everyone else already asked all the other good questions.
hodgkinr
Wanderer

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2002 10:16 am   

Having already said I stupidly said yes to load the Beta version this reply did nothing more and confirm I did wrong.

Basically this post is a waste of my time and yours.

Just got the notice for 6.32 and it looks like all the rest did

Version 6.32 is now available
This is a BETA version

Hard to believe you could read the line with the version number and miss the BETA notice on the line right underneath it.

LightBulb

hodgkinr
Wanderer

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2002 10:27 am   

>I must be out of the loop, i havent heard of rimm ram, and ms 2000 pro must be windows 2k pro. (ignoring the harshness in the request)

Yep sorry its is windows 2k pro.

>what did you add to the maps? is it important to have what you added?

Added text note to an existing map.

>do you have photoshop installed, does PS complain you dont have memory configured properly? do any other programs talk about memory problems?

Nope and no other programs running or memory problems.

>more importantly, have you installed any service packs for win2k? visit windowsupdate.microsoft.com and check around, its perfect for people with little knowhow on PC's.

I have all the latest service packs loaded on my PC.

>when you run zmud, what else are you running? dual pentiums may sound like a lot, but each extra running program puts strain on. did you disable the swapfile? re-enable it. did you shrink the swapfile down to a crazy number? there are -alot- of programs that wont work properly without a swapfile.

I have not messed with any swap files.

This problem just started happening after I did a bit more exploring and mapping. All my map for my MUD is one file, but I use seperate zones for different regions of the game.

Thanks for your help

Bob
>point is, zmud isnt always the culprit. (cough, BETA BETA BETA, cough)

I do realise that, but seeing it was the only programme i had used all day and it just started to throw these errors at me it seemed logical to me something had happend to Zmud.

Thanks for your help

Bob

Why oh WHY did I have pass door on...

hodgkinr
Wanderer

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2002 10:38 am   

----------
>I have some simple questions. Are your RIMM modules properly paired?

All RIMM modules are as supplied by Compaq on the PC when i purchased it.

>Are you aware that dual processors only allow windows to run 2 threads concurrently, and if the threads are not coded in the right fashion windows will not run 2 from the same program at the same time.

What do you mean by thread? Do you mean programs need to be specifically written to utilise the capability of a Dual Processor properly then yes I appreciate this.

Thanks for your help

Bob
hodgkinr
Wanderer

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2002 10:53 am   

[quote]
>First you should know that "I didn't know it was a beta version" is no excuse.

I did not say "I did not Know it was a Beta version".

>Zugg got pretty ticked off a few days ago because there are too many people saying that something bad happened to them when they downloaded the beta version and they didn't know that it was a beta version.

Why prompt the average Jo about Upgrading to a Beta version! Post a message by all means and let anyone who wants it go download. I only want to see prompts for upgrades to alpha versions.

>If you don't know you are downloading a beta version, it is your own fault for not reading. When you get the screen prompting you to upgrade, it tells you if the version is a beta version and it even lets you disable the upgrade notification for beta version. Furthermore, the release notes say that the version is a beta version and advises you to backup your files and don't use it if you do not want to deal with the bugs.

I did say I Stupidly downloaded the Beta and I know it is my own fault. All I wanted to know is there a known problem on the maximum size of map you can create. Having been running with the Beta version now for some 4 months, it has not caused me any grief, apart from the getting it started problem. Why all of a sudden should i get these new messages?

Thanks for your help.

Bob
Kjata
GURU

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2002 12:16 pm   

I know you didn't say "I did not know it was a beta version".... I read your post. I was just giving this sort of behavior a name. Would prefer if I underlined it as if it was a novel's name?

Anyway, seems like the only part of my message that you didn't bother to respond to, or at least acknowledge that you read it, was the part about e-mailing Zugg. I would say that you should try that, since in the end, he is the one who knows everything about zMUD and would most likely be able to recognize what causes this problem when you tell him.

Kjata
hodgkinr
Wanderer

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2002 2:42 pm   

Thanks Kjata

I have cleaned a lot of rubbish out of my mapper files and I'm not now having the problem. So I guess it may be a file size problem. If it comes back I will take your course of action.

Thanks for All you help.

Bob
EdwinDroom
Wanderer

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2002 5:19 pm   

You can easily turn off notification about new versions, beta or otherwise. Either do it when the message appears, or through your settings.

"I've got an allergy to Perrier, daylight and responsibility" - Marillion

Check out Moral Decay on 131.247.113.1 3003
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » zMUD General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: