Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
marilyn

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2002 10:37 pm   

Tick Timer magic

Many of my triggers are based on the Timeout Command from the Tick-timer.

The problem I am having is that I have found no way to SET the Timeout command other than manually. Sure would be helpful for some of the ideas I have to be able to do this.

For instance... skinning a critter takes a variable amount of time. If I could trigger an alias when I kill the creature, I could skin it, and then set the Timeout command to trigger another alias that would unwield the knife, stash the pelt and be ready for the next crittter.

If this is possible to do by some other means I would appreciate the help.

Mari
Jade is more than stone, more than color. It is beauty made tangible.
nutsnbolts
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2002 10:57 pm   

Here is my contribution to the forum.

The problem here is that you are not using the right timer. You should be using the #alarm command instead.

Sorry can't give you an actual code, but basically you want to use #alarm in conjuction with a trigger. When something dies, you want to insert a trigger that when #alarm *X* seconds have passed, unwield our knife, stash the pelt and be ready for the next critter then untrig *X* seconds.

Then kill your next mob. etc..

Hope this helps but I'm still a noob.

Sup
GiriFox
Wanderer

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2002 5:36 am   

You should seriously investigate the new delay and duration based triggers in v6.2 and later. They are kickass.

If you don't, instead use

#ALARM {+3} {do this}

to kick off that 'do this' action in three sections hence. If you do a search through this forum you'll find other posts giving more detail on alarm.

While I'm on the topic, don't use #wait; it's not for this purpose either.

There is a great file on this topic in the Support Library, which describes all the new trigger types.

The tick timer is not intended for use as you have been trying. It's simply for synchronisation with the mud's tick timer, for say telling you when mobs repop.
LightBulb
MASTER

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2002 8:17 am   

Marilyn, you can set the tick-timer's time with the #TS command. Keep in mind that there is only one tick-timer, so you can't use it to control multiple events simultaneously.

Giri, please don't make a habit of recommending people use the 6.2x versions. They are all (at the moment) beta versions, provided only for beta testing. They are not intended for general use, which is why version 6.16 is still provided as the public version.

LightBulb
Vague questions get vague answers
marilyn

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2002 9:48 pm   

quote:

Marilyn, you can set the tick-timer's time with the #TS command. Keep in mind that there is only one tick-timer, so you can't use it to control multiple events simultaneously.

Giri, please don't make a habit of recommending people use the 6.2x versions. They are all (at the moment) beta versions, provided only for beta testing. They are not intended for general use, which is why version 6.16 is still provided as the public version.

LightBulb

Thank you gentlemen for your comments. I *am* using the lastest 6.2X version.

Regarding Alarm: As I mentioned in my original post... skin times are random. Alarm requires me to know how long so that I can set it.

Regarding the setting of the timer value, yes... I know that I can do that. I have a counter that shows me the ticks left till 0 on my status bar. I also have a trigger that sets it. When ever the mud sends out an RT (round time) message, I capture that time into a variable and set the timer.

What I need it a way to tell it what to do, when ever it reaches zero. Skinning the creature causes the MUD to send an RT message of random # of seconds, which starts my count down. If I could, in the same trigger, set the Timeout command, then I could set a trigger to sheath the knife and deal with which ever critter part I have.

Thanks for trying to help though!
Marilyn

Mari
Vijilante
SubAdmin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2002 10:11 pm   

ALARMS can readily be set with whatever time you need. Let say you captured your round time to the variable RT.

#EXEC %expand(%concat("#ALARM {+",@RT,"} {#ECHO put commands here}"))
LightBulb
MASTER

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2002 4:41 am   

You can change the timer's time-out command with the #TIMER command. The easiest way might be to set the command in a skin alias, and then set the time from a trigger. I put a sample trigger for the roundtime, I'm sure you've got one that actually works.
#AL skin {#TIMER {off} {unwield knife;stash pelt} 0 0;~skin}
#TR {Roundtime (%d) secs) {#TS %1}

As Vijilante says, you could also do this with a temporary alarm.

LightBulb
marilyn

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2002 2:05 am   

quote:

You can change the timer's time-out command with the #TIMER command. The easiest way might be to set the command in a skin alias, and then set the time from a trigger. I put a sample trigger for the roundtime, I'm sure you've got one that actually works.
#AL skin {#TIMER {off} {unwield knife;stash pelt} 0 0;~skin}
#TR {Roundtime (%d) secs) {#TS %1}

As Vijilante says, you could also do this with a temporary alarm.

LightBulb

Thanks.... I will look into these this Sunday. The alarm looked good too!

Mari
marilyn

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2002 2:12 am   

quote:

You can change the timer's time-out command with the #TIMER command.

Boy do *I* feel foolish!! In examining your syntax, I read the manual again and finally saw the optional COMMAND parameter.

I read all the timers stuff over and again and missed it!

Arrrrh!

When all else fails, RTFM!

Thanks for exposing by blind spot!

Mari
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » zMUD General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: