Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
Post new topic  Reply to topic     Home » Forums » zMUD General Discussion Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Zugg Posted: Tue Nov 20, 2001 4:06 am
Calling for a boycott on Microsoft Windows XP
seamer
Magician

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2001 10:06 am   

5 bsods?

I want your setup :)

Why oh WHY did I have pass door on...
tyler

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2002 11:04 pm   

I have an ISA soundblaster 16, an ISA US Robotics 56k modem, and a small hard drive (10G drive, windows partition is 6G, around 1G free at installation time) and I upgraded from Win98SE->WinME->WinXP without a problem. The modem stopped working after the install, but I got it working by adjusting the plug & play settings.. other than that, it all went very smoothly. Oh, I guess Adaptec EasyCD4 caused some problems too.. I had to uninstall it, delete a registry key, and switch to Nero. As always, it could be better, but it wasn't nightmarish.

Tyler
Tolkienfan
Wanderer

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2002 2:18 pm   

XP?!?!?!!?!? Dont even get me started!!
I have come to the point where i have realised that i just dont have the skill to actually fix bigger problems...like if my master boot record get fucked up...i know...that this i cant fix...so i just format c: reinstall...Now as you have prolly figured out by now, i have done this quite alot of times. I have quite a new system with no isa cards and all that...But!! My Graphics accelerator card is Diamond Viper v770 (Riva TNT2 Replica) And XP does not support this..So i go to webpage. Start looking for drivers, Hmm well i cant seem to find any, and after the usual 20 minutes of searching around the page i decide to mail support. And then in the bottom of the page i find...a tiny link reading :'Xp Drivers'. Ahaaa i shout, and click it. But ach! No...no drivers for Viper yet...But then again it says to use the latest riva detonater drivers, so i download them and install them and remove the old drivers and change to the new ones. Yippie it works. Exept! Now the basic windows graphics run like crap (for instance when clicking the now superfancy fading start menu it lags for a couple of minutes trying to open it) So i decide to reinstall the old drivers. But the first time i try to run a game it seems that those drivers do not support Direct 3D so here i am...Cant really play anything but Mud because XP cant use my graphics card. Thats just some of the problems i have had with it...Not to Mention trying to make XP accept that i also have Linux!! *shiver*
Dris

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2002 9:52 pm   

Ha! Microsoft will *never* successfully duplicate anything great, though they may make money off their cheap imitations. Mac OS X is their latest victim (yet another product from Apple), and they did a poor job at it. Even from the name (Windows XP...does anyone know wtf that stands for??) they've tried in vain to copy it. And one thing that Mac OS X had was easy installation. I had it up and running in a couple minutes, and all I had to wait for was the installation itself, which was only a Simpson's episode long. Plus, everything I had was still compatible, and no stupid "driver updates" had to be done. And since Mac OS X is built on a Unix shell, it's extremely stable and secure. I had it online real quick (the first time I'd ever set up an internet connection myself). Windows XP? Windows at all? No. Mac OS X all the way, whether Microsoft attempts a twisted imitation or not. In the end, they just piss everyone off.

Zugg, I just want to request a Mac version of zMUD while I'm here. If you don't, I'll make my own MUD client (Realbasic is great, look into it).

~Dris~
MattLofton
GURU

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2002 12:26 am   

quote:

Windows XP...does anyone know wtf that stands for?

Stands for eXtreme Pain in the backside I pray every night that nothing happens to my win98se installation disk (d'ya think I should seal it up in a bank deposit box?)

li'l shmoe of Dragon's Gate MUD
Tyladras

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2002 3:25 pm   

Windows eXPerience ^.^

Heh, I quite like Windows XP, call me a heretic if you will!

*hides in the corner*
SHASCO
Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2002 7:03 pm   

I have used every operating system but XP in the Windows versions. I am quite pleased with the win2k install. The only issue that I had was making sure that I downloaded all the win2k drivers off the web to disk before I installed win2k. As far as Windows is concerned win2k acts similar to Unix. I reboot once a week and that is only out of habit.

XP? I have read way to many horror stories about it. The power that it needs to run, as in memory is not worth it. If I am going to have all that memory I want it for my extras, not my base operating system.

My next OS will probably be a Mac or Linux. Both take less power, less everything and have a higher stability rating.

SHASCO - quite tired of dealing with the Microsoft "compatibility" issues.
Dris

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2002 6:37 am   

Well, it's not to say that you need a decent computer to run Mac OS X (after all, it is a next generation operating system), but at least they don't try and fool you into thinking you can run on less than it needs. For example, Windows XP's minimum RAM requirement is 64MB, but if you want anything decent out of it, you need about 128MB. And the minimum processer speed is also *the* bare minimum just to run. Mac OS X does require a pretty up-to-date computer, but it's not anything that will really tax a modern Mac.

~Dris~
X_calibur
Beginner

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2002 11:14 am   

.....I miss DOS. =)

==|=X_calibur=`
Drazk

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2002 9:31 pm   

Thanks Zugg you prolly saved me a couple hundred bucks I don't have. :-)

Drazk

Come find your fate at:
Destiny.nerp.net 1235
VanillaIce

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2002 2:46 pm   

Well, call me a rebel, but I must disagree, I have installed XP on at least 5 computers by now and haven't had an ounce of trouble, it actually made things much easier. It preconfigured my residential gateway and a few other things, plus it looks so shiny and pretty :) . Well, sorry to hear your troubles Zugg, but next time, ditch the 2 gig partitions. XP works fine for me.
undergod
Wanderer

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2002 10:19 pm   

I have to admit it, but I am liking WindowsXP so far. I only got one problem, where I had to download my new video driver, but that is the only problem I have ever had with it.

I heard some horror stories.. but, I also hear horror stories about mac and linux. I think some people are just blowing it out of proportion :)
Kreator
Wanderer

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2002 9:45 am   

Zugg,

Though I feel your pain, it has not been my experience with Win XP. I too have installed it on 5 computers now (some 2 years old) and haven't had a glitch. Only solid, clean installs.

Not that this is going to fix your problem or ease your frustration, but...
If you want, and if you can take back your copy of Windows XP that you purchased for $99, I'll give you a free, shrink-wrapped, brand new, never-been-opened copy of Windows XP Professional. I'll pay for it if you wish to accept my gift. Just reply to me via email with your address and I'll ship it to you (I'll pay shipping charges too).

I want you to know how much I value your product and how appreciative I am of the program you have made! I use it all the time (and it works wonderfully on Windows XP)!

Kreator

Kreator
Burser
Wanderer

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2002 12:43 pm   

I rely on people like you :)

I would NEVER install an operating system that has just been relesed... I let people who think that newer is better install it first... and let them find all the fatal error, bugs and flaws.

As a rule fo thumb - don't upgrade till SP2 comes out, and them keep a back-up :)

Call me over cautious... I've just upgraded to Windows 2000 (which, I might add, is fantastic) and I intend to stay here till 2003, if the industry will let me.

And don't give me and dross about Linux and UNIX... I use them for a living and its like coming home to a warm bubblebath when I get to my Windows System...

I don't know about everyone else but I believe in making my life as easy as possible... and easy is a well debugged version of MS Windows 2000.

;) I wonder how many people don't like me anymore...

--> Burser
Ellowyne

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2002 5:12 pm   

Hmm, XP is working fine for me, at least at the moment, but here are the precautions you must/may want to take when upgrading:

1) You need at LEAST 256 MB RAM, though I suggest having at least 512 if you really want to get the most out of the OS.

2) Windows XP requires around 2-3 Gigs worth of Hard Disk space.

3) Since upgrading from Windows 95 to 98, I found out that doing a fresh install (format, boot from CD) is the best way to do it. It reduces the amount of problems.

4) USE NTFS FORMAT! I can't stress this enough, it is built to run on NTFS, and while it does run on FAT32, I think it will have quite a few more problems, and it might take up more system resources.

Here is my system configuration:
Abit KT7-RAID Motherboard
AMD Duron 750
640 MB RAM
30 Gig HD
nVidia GeForce 2 MX (First Generation)
3COM 3C509 Network Card
Leadtek WinFast 6x Soundcard (Great value for money, supports optical in/out, coxial in/out, Aureal and EAX emulation support, 5.1 Dolby Surround support, if you can get your hands on it, grab it)

Well, I hope this helps you a 'lil, I know I might sound like someone from the Microsoft marketing department, but hey, I just can't resist the slick look when tweaked, but of course, I miss the simplicity of Windows 2000 Professional...

-Ellowyne
PrestoPimp
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2002 4:45 am   

Linux- the clear alternative to Windows
Linux- take control, get your FREE copy of Linux today!!
Linux- be educational about your computer.
Windows- And now for only $300 you too can own the brand new(bugged out) version of WindowsXP!! Comes complete with a free AOL CD!! Try to match that with some of Windows competitors and find a better deal!

Woohoo! :)

For tomarrow is another day, and other days come but 6 times a week.
moushigo

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2002 7:31 pm   

I upgraded my roomate's crappy emachine running Win98 to WinXP with not a single problem. Maybe some holy deity of upgrades was smiling on me, but I also upgraded my fairly new Gateway system from ME to XP with no issues either. Networking was a breeze... oh and with ME I had to write from 0's nine (count them) times.. XP runs like a dream in comparison.
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2002 12:42 am   

Btw, just as an update to this thread, since my other XP threads are way down on the forum list right now:

My XP problems all finally went away when I installed the NVidia Detonator drivers dated 12/3. Even though NVidia was claiming the problem was with the Microsoft AGP driver, apparently they found a way to fix it themselves.

Only certain NVidia cards had trouble (mine was a TNT2), and only when using an AGP card, and only on some motherboards apparently. Tweaking the card to only use AGP1x helped, but the system was still unstable until these new drivers were installed.

So, now XP is stable again. I'd add to the comments already to say that even if you *think* you have the latest drivers, go check everyday. I found these drivers on the day they were released and they really helped. The two weeks before that were hell, however.

I still stand by my original statement however: If you don't HAVE TO upgrade to XP, then DONT. In my case, since I must support Windows, I was forced to upgrade one of my systems. I'm not touching my others. And to those who just like to post the Linux messages, you clearly missed the point of this entire thread since there are many of us that are forced to stay with Windows for business purposes. If I used Linux instead of Windows then there wouldn't be any zMUD and none of us would be here (and I'd still have a sucky job in New Mexico). So, be careful what you wish for

Exodus Kaelbohr

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2002 4:28 am   

*chuckle* sorry to hear about your trouble Zugg, but I havnt had any problems at all.. neither have any of my friends... in fact, I pretty much have to run xp on one of my laptops, as xp has build-in drivers for its super-weird ATI Rage Pro Mobility video card (cant run 98 at all without specific Dell drivers.. bleh)

I have had some issues w/ my 3com pcmcia ethernet cards, as well as a couple 3com pci cards.. i just replaces all of them w/ cheap ol' D-Link cards for about 10 bucks a piece :)

anyway, I say just wait a year or two for a service pack to come out, or for XP osr2 or whatever they will call it :)

-EK

oh, and one last thing.. the windows update for XP is worth its weight in freaking gold man, cant say enough good things about it ;)
Gilwyn

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2002 7:45 am   

Microsoft really only released XP to stimulate the PC market. And if it was fully backward-compatible, Microsoft's partners in crime (Intel etc) wouldn't get to sell you any new hardware.

Welcome to the wonderful world of modern profiteering Zugg!

BTW, I would recommend that people only use the NTFS on the system partition, and keep all user data on a separate FAT(32) partition, so at least you can get to your personal files if it all goes pear-shaped.
Galakoth
Beginner

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2002 3:49 pm   

Just a few things I would like to say, I in no way support Gates or MS, only reason I use them is because all of the things I like to do only run on MS...IE Zmud....and many other games. But here is some info on this topic.

quote:
What kind of compatibility is that? This might as well be Windows NT!

XP was based of the NT kernel, big surpise there is hardware compatibility issues.

quote:
Oh yes, I checked the free disk space on the C drive. 500MB free. So why did I need to free up 1.1GB? Grrrr.

Windows does this because it needs extra space for temp files during installation...even Win98 did this sort of crap, it just needed alot less then 1.1gig.

Sorry your install went so bad, but XP docs did say ISA wasnt supported. I had a friend install it and he actually got his ISA cards working. One of the few I am sure.
I do have to agree tho, MS shouldnt get away with putting out crap like this. Code a linux version of Zmud and I will tell Bill Gate to bite me.

Galakoth
bdragon125
Beginner

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2002 5:32 pm   

Both my sound and network card is ISA both installed fine.

Network (Isa) Accton
Sound (Isa) SB64 gold

go figure. But then it maybe that I'm useing XPpro corp. edi.

~(,,,,)'>
mhollis
Beginner

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2002 10:26 pm   

As a computer technician I would never let anyone upgrade to XP regardless, if they wanted XP I would only do it by manner of formatting (which when I do it, involves repartitioning as well ;), XP is a good operating system if you don't expect it to be like one's past, if you do though you will be dissapointed, the stability is probably based on the lack of ISA support, after all, who here can say that they can write a program that directly interfaces with hardware of every kind, or near so, and runs stabily and quickly. I am in no way cutting on zuggsoft mind you, as I'm sure their developers are aware how difficult a task that would be. My hat is off to the relative reliability vs. compatibility of microsoft windows xp. Now, if they ever get it right, let me know ;)
scarecrow
Beginner

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2002 11:30 pm   

i am not going on a rant like it could be done i had most of the problems you fine poeple had after loosing all my data. I have decided never to run a native windows os again. But of course i will still be using an emulated 98 for use of zmud but that is where i draw the line!
Anomander

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2002 4:48 pm   

Wow what a list of problems,

Can I just say that I have a machine that is almost 2 years old as well, Its a gateway PIII 600, with ... yes you guessed it Soundblaster Live , but I suppose I am lucky coz its PCI. This machine is working perfectly the only problem is, I tried the exact same thing on my other machine, and its now completely stuffed.... I have just spent the best part of 1/2 of a bank holiday monday (when I should be having a beer) re-installing 98 on my second machine. XP rules when it works and is in my oppinion a much nicer operating system that any of the earlier windows releases, HOWEVER - it just doesnt work well often enough.

As for being able to find stuff, yes most things have moved, but then again we expect these things with new OS releases, if only so that MS can sell more books and training courses.

Regards,

Anomander
Anomandaris
Elder JAMAT
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » zMUD General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: