Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
vileplume
Novice

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2002 4:28 am   

Trigger using #SAid text as pattern.

I was wondering if it's possible to use the text displayed by the #SA command as a trigger pattern? If so, would there be any reason why this would be a bad idea?
LightBulb
MASTER

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2002 6:51 am   

The quickest way to find out would be to try it. You can use #SHOW for this purpose, I'm not certain if #SAY will work or not.

LightBulb
Vague questions get vague answers
Kjata
GURU

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2002 12:18 pm   

The output from #SAY should not fire triggers. That's why there is a #SHOW command. However, I think that for some reason, #SAY will fire triggers, althought it shouldn't.

Kjata
vileplume
Novice

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2002 12:15 am   

The reason why I ask is the last time (yesterday in fact) that I used Lightbulb's method of experimentation I ended up in a neverending loop that resulted in my consumption of every last drop of 4 of my potions. I had to CTRL ALT DEL out of zmud to get it to stop. Therefore, I have concluded that for my next attempt I should perhaps do a little more research about possible pitfalls!
LightBulb
MASTER

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2002 1:20 am   

The only reason using #SAY, #SHOW, or other self-generated messages to fire triggers is a bad idea is the tendency to create loops. Of course, this only happens when you put the #SAY/#SHOW as the action of a trigger.

#SHOW is useful for testing triggers without waiting for the MUD to produce the text or for offline testing. This is done by entering the #SHOW command from the command-line.

Since you have carefully avoided providing any hint of what you are attempting to do, that's the best I can tell you at this time.

LightBulb
vileplume
Novice

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2002 4:05 am   

It's not really that I am avoiding it. I just haven't condensed it down into a format suitable for communication to others. The looping thing didn't happen because of the #sa though, that was just another failed experiment in general I was using as my excuse for not just running the #sa thing up the flagpole. Really I have been doing quite a bit of that sort of thing, but the incident with the loop has me a little gun-shy.

I did try using the #show command instead. In reading the help file about #show, I noticed it offers this guideline for using it:

....%{crlf} should be used for newlines instead of just %{cr}.

What does this mean?
LightBulb
MASTER

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2002 5:43 am   

It means that if you are going to use #SHOW to simulate a multi-line message, you should use %{crlf} between lines. I've never tried it before (never had a need for more than one line). A brief experiment shows that you need %{crlf} to get a new line with #SHOW, either will work with #SAY. Didn't test #ECHO.

And I can understand being careful after getting caught in a loop. I do my best to avoid looping structures in my own scripts.

LightBulb
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » zMUD General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: