Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
tushar_saxena

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2002 11:52 pm   

zMud and ZoneAlarm Pro

I recently upgraded from dial up to DSL. Since an always on Internet connection merits a higher degree of security, I installed the ZoneAlarm Pro firewall. Since then I've had a problem becoming disconnected from MU*s if I idle for more than a few minutes. I haven't determined the exact period but it's somewhere around 10 minutes, not long at all. I've determined that ZoneAlarm is at fault but I'm not sure what to do about it so I figured I'd post here in addition to contacting Zone Labs tech support to see if anyone else has had a similar problem.

I know that ZoneAlarm is at fault because I've set it to alert me whenever it blocks traffic and I've had the alert message pop up when I try sending something to a MU* after idling too long. Examing ZoneAlarm's log around the times that I've been disconnected has shown that ZoneAlarm has also blocked incomming traffic from the MU*, reporting it as an intrusion attempt. Any idea what I can do about this?
LightBulb
MASTER

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2002 3:26 am   

If the problem is inactivity, generate some activity.
#ALARM {*5:00} {group}

LightBulb
All scripts untested unless otherwise noted
undergod
Wanderer

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2002 4:07 am   

The problem with ZoneAlarm is, if there's no activity from the user (mouse or keyboard) it activates the lock. So, sending something to the MUD won't help at all. You'll need to edit your ZoneAlarm preferences to have the Auto Lock turned off.
MattLofton
GURU

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2002 5:03 am   

quote:

The problem with ZoneAlarm is, if there's no activity from the user (mouse or keyboard) it activates the lock. So, sending something to the MUD won't help at all. You'll need to edit your ZoneAlarm preferences to have the Auto Lock turned off.

I'm using the latest version, and I'm not getting disco'd. Is your autolock configured to let passlock programs go through?

li'l shmoe of Dragon's Gate MUD
tushar_saxena

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2002 2:46 am   

I actually disabled the automatic start soon after installing ZoneAlarm but since the time period does seem to match the time the lock would kick in if it were enabled, I'll try configuring zMud as a passlock program and make sure the automatic lock is configured to pass things through. The odd thing is that it seems to do this when it's just the program and not the computer that's idle. I might be idling on a MUSH and browsing web pages while waiting for other people to log in and it'll start blocking zMud. The script does seem to stop it from happening though.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » zMUD General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: