Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
horks
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2002 2:15 am   

Crazy Dictionary Idea

I was sitting here, talking to a friend, and we were discussing how cool it would be to write a trigger that would highlight everynoun in the room description.

After some thought, I figured it wouldn't be too hard to write. I'd just need to have a variable list with a dictionary of nouns.

I'm not sure if there is a limit to how many items you have on a list. Does anyone else know? and if i can't put them into a list, how could i incorporate a db to hold that data? Is this idea possible? Thanks :)
TonDiening
GURU

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2002 2:21 am   

The other way would be to parse the sentences
and look for the nouns.

It would be rough but after awhile you could
get a good enough trigger set to figure out
which words would be nouns for that
particular mud.

Ton Diening
Toetag
Magician

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2002 2:15 pm   

You can also use variable lists.

Variable called: NOUN
{he|she|it|him|her|}

Then a trigger with a pattern of:

{@noun}

command:
#CW green

As for the number in a list, I have variable lists for anything armour, weapon, loot etc that each contain a hundred or several hundred entries and I see no degredation in speed.

Killing a fly on a friends forhead may not be overkill, use a hatchet to make sure the job is done.
MattLofton
GURU

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2002 12:46 am   

quote:

You can also use variable lists.

Variable called: NOUN
{he|she|it|him|her|}

Then a trigger with a pattern of:

{@noun}

command:
#CW green

As for the number in a list, I have variable lists for anything armour, weapon, loot etc that each contain a hundred or several hundred entries and I see no degredation in speed.

Killing a fly on a friends forhead may not be overkill, use a hatchet to make sure the job is done.

That would be PRONOUN, not NOUN. Noun would be something like 'cat', 'dog', 'house', 'antidisestablishmentarianism' (heh, there's longer ones than that, too), etc. Something on the order of about 10000 words (maybe a whole lot more, though), I think.

li'l shmoe of Dragon's Gate MUD
Vijilante
SubAdmin

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2002 1:37 am   

To answer your actual question, the list can hold as much data as your computer and os can provide memory. Note that Windows 95, 98, and ME have a 128KB per program memory limit. Windows 2000 and NT 4.0 have a 4GB per program memory limit. Windows XP memory limit might be affected by have a true 64bit processor, otherwise it is 4GB as well.

All that aside it would be simpler to put the verbs in a list, since they will be the much more limited set in the descriptions. After that take a look at a really old way of examining the English language, it is called sentence diagramming.

Another way to tackle finding nouns is through examination of prefixes and suffixes. Some of them can only be used on nouns, and a small few will make verbs into nouns.

I just don't think you really want to make a list of nouns, it is likely to be far larger than you think.
Toetag
Magician

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2002 2:49 pm   

I'll admit I wouldn't know a noun from a pronoun if one were to bit me in the buttocks.

At least the logic behind it was suitable for the answer, though I did take a few extra lines to get to the answer for the question asked.

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » zMUD General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: