Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
m59gar
Beginner

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2021 5:02 am   

How do I transfer a map database from one CMUD install to another?

My win10 machine died recently and I reinstalled win10. CMUD was still on a non critical hard drive but no longer runs properly. (My hard drive letters did change). On a fresh CMUD install, I can't seem to use the same package and map database without a SQL: Library routine called out of sequence error.

Anyone know how I can get past this?
shalimar
GURU

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2021 11:09 am   

That sounds like a pretty serious DB error.
I'm gonna assume your data got corrupted somehow.
Unfortunately, unless you were making backups before your system failed, you will most likely have to start from scratch.
Beginner

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2021 12:19 pm   

The existing CMUD from the old install also actually loads, but when i go to any particular zone in the map (all the zones are listed in the dropdown), it says SQL Error: SQL logic error or missing database.
shalimar
GURU

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2021 1:37 pm   

In that case, you may be able to save your settings, if not your map.
Open the Settings Editor, and then under the File menu choose Export to XML.
Then transfer that XML file to the new system where you can import your settings the same way.

If you want to try a Hail Mary attempt at saving your map.... run it through the map conversion tool in the CMUD Beta forum. No guarantee it will work though.
Beginner

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2021 11:52 pm   

Ok, if the map conversion tool gives an SQL logic error or missing database on the .dbm file, does that 100% mean it's borked? I honestly don't see how this happened, since my computer died for unrelated reasons. I was thinking it was tied to registry keys or something, but it looks like this operates solely on that single file...

Yep, looks like the map conversion tool sees '206 zones 0 rooms' before i even do anything to it. Wow. And there's no backups of the map file anywhere I assume.

Is there any way to 'get into' that database map file and extract data from it manually?
shalimar
GURU

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2021 12:25 am   

I have heard of some people being able to open it with any Sql editor, but there is no guarantee the finished product will be compatible unless you are really good at editing them.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.
Beginner

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2021 12:54 am   

Hmm, yes, seems all the information is still there using DB Browser for SQLite. I'll tinker with this. There's got to be some way to put this information back in a format cmud can read.

Or... perhaps... simply take a healthy .dbm and overwrite its ObjectTbl (the room data) with the room data from this one.

Will try exporting individual tables to CSV, then importing from CSV into a healthy .dbm.
m59gar
Beginner

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2021 1:13 am   

Have had some initial success. All the data is back and functioning in CMUD with the CSV export, CSV import into healthy .dbm file, no special editing skills required. However, certain portions of some areas seem 'damaged' in that there are missing rooms (and links to them go nowhere). So perhaps that's the corruption i'm seeing and i'll have to manually fix it in the map editor.

edit: oh, nope, it's actually just a function of the SQL editor only going to about 3000 entries. So all rooms over 3000 are lost with that one. How weird. Gotta find an editor that gets all the entries

Ah i see, the ExitTbl and ObjectTbl have some error at about that point. so it's not the editor, that's the corruption. Database disk image is malformed
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » CMUD General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: