Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
mbeckman
Beginner

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2021 1:24 am   

Numpad commands screwing up into keyboard commands.

Hoping someone has some ideas here:

I use the numpad (numlock off) and they are the cardinal directions, 8 is north, 6 is east, and 5 is "look" (l).

When I use the numpad a couple/few times, moving my char however many steps in that direction, when I make my first command on the keyboard, cmud sends another directional command as though I'd hit the numpad again.

So, I hit 8,8,8,8 (so north, north, north, north), then I hit the "l" key for "look", and I went north again. Likewise I did a few wests (4), and then hit the "o" key to start typing open, but before I even hit the "p", the character went another west.

Anyone have any idea why this is happening and, more important, how to stop it? This never happened in my previous versions of zmud and cmud. Only since I've downloaded 3.34.

Haven't been able to play for many months now and I am hoping someone can help, please. Thank you!
shalimar
GURU

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2021 2:43 am   

That is a known issue that sometimes occurs when CMUD gains focus.
The best fix for it is to use the mouse to click on another CMUD window (I use my chat window), then click back on the main session window.
Beginner

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2021 2:15 am   

So first, thank you for responding, much appreciated.

But I'm not sure what you mean. I don't even see a chat option in cmud.

I did click on the "FTP" button which opened up a column on the right side of the screen, and then when the direction problem happened, I put the cursor in the white space in the column and clicked, then I put the cursor back on the mud screen (the game I was playing) and the cursor reappeared in the typing box and started entering commands again and it happened as always. No changes.

Did I do it wrong or is this proposed fix not actually fixing?

Thank you very much again, hope you can help more!
shalimar
GURU

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2021 11:58 pm   

It's a user-defined window that I use to hold chatter from one of the game channels (via the #CAPTURE command).
I have never attempted using the FTP button, but clearly, that did not work.
I cannot get the issue to happen on demand to test other ways to resolve the issue for those who aren't using child windows as I do.
Try using the Status Window.
Beginner

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2021 7:34 pm   

Well, I can't thank you enough for responding, it's very gracious of you. Alas, I really have no idea what most of what you wrote means. :( I'm not a tech person at all.

Meaning, I don't know what a 'user-defined window' or how to create that, or what "#CAPTURE command" means. Likewise with "child windows" or "Status Window".

I recognize it's probably too much to ask, but if you feel bored and have time to kill, dumbing down so I know what to click on, etc., might be helpful. If not, you've already done a lot and I appreciate it!
shalimar
GURU

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2021 1:52 am   

Child window - is essentially any other window you might have in your session besides the default window, including the map window and user-defined windows
Status Window - One of the default windows you can see listed under the window menu item. Is blank until the user defines its contents.
User-defined Window - A child Window that the user names and desires what information is displayed in.
#CAPTURE <windowname> - A command you can use in triggers or on the command line the copy the most recent line to the named window.
#WINDOW <windowname> <text> - A command to put a user defined line of text in the named window.

To test the status window:
You would need to click on the window menu item, and then the status window item therein to get the status window open.

Then when the issue crops up you click in the status window, then back into the main window, and that's it.

If you would rather use the known working method:
Using either the #CAPTURE or the #WINDOW command will cause the named window to be created.

Then when the issue crops up, click in the window thus created, and then back to the main window.
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2021 2:55 pm   

https://i.imgur.com/UTdV4Yn.png

a visual example for you...
child windows on the right, main window on left.

this uses triggers to #capture tells and various chat messages, so it doesn't get spammed off screen during combat.
mbeckman
Beginner

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2021 12:33 am   

Ok, thank you both. I see that picture. How do I open one of those windows on the right? What buttons do I click? Thank you again!

I did click on "window" and then "window status" which opened an entirely new (small) little box of black, outside of gmud (somewhere else on my screen, not touching the gmud screen) no text inside, and I clicked on it but no cursor appeared there. In any event, I then clicked back onto gmud window and the same stuff happened. I typed a few directions using the numpad then tried to type "open" but as soon as I hit the "o" the system entered a "d" for down.

sigh.
chaossdragon
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2021 1:01 am   

for what I use, it's "#WIN Chat" and then I just drag it and attach it to the mouse over icons for window placement, but really you can name the windows anything.
As in the example the upper right has three other tabs named "Spam, Tells, and Party"

It's not hard to setup and use, but I am not super great at explaining code... Shalimar, or any number of other community members could potentially advice you better then I could.
shalimar
GURU

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2021 2:09 am   

As far as just making it goes, chaos is spot on.
The #MAKEWINDOW command does offer a lot more potential customization of said window, but that's really outside the scope of the question.

#HELP #WINDOW
#HELP #CAPTURE
#HELP #MAKEWINDOW

Those commands will pull up the appropriate help files for more information.
Beginner

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2021 3:11 am   

Hi. So I typed "WIN Chat" and a ractangular black window opened up above the game window. But there was nowhere to type anything into that chat.

I don't know wwhat you mean when you say "I just drag it and attach it to the mouse over icons for window placement"? How can you drag something on the screen to the mouse??'

Sorry I'm so dense...
shalimar
GURU

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2021 5:21 am   

Child windows are just a storage area, if you want to add more text to them you have to enter another #WINDOW command.

#WIN Chat This is a test message.

if you click and drag the title bar of the newly created chat window, you will see a number of ghost-like icons appear around the edges and in the center of the other windows in CMUD.
These are the various places you can doc said window.
The center icon will tab the new window to that window.
Whereas the perimeter icons will tile the window being dragged along that boundary.
Beginner

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2021 4:21 pm   

Ok, so I dragged it to the center.

But there's no place to type anything in that window. Do I have to do something for that? I did switch to that black screen window, clicked on it in the center (no place to click in a typing bar) and then switched back to the game window and the problem still happened, did a few numpad commands and then a letter command and it sent a numpad command.
chaossdragon
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2021 12:28 am   

I'm starting to wonder if this is due to a corrupted install. Also desktop PC or a laptop? (assuming desktop) I've never personally had issues like what you described but have had instances where the main window was out of focus and when using numpad to move, it would type the numerical keys to the chat prompt and when I tried to type a command it would be all sorts of wonky...

move north 4 times and type open door would look like '8888open door' would still move the 4 north but wouldn't open as it's obviously misspelled...
shalimar
GURU

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2021 2:43 am   

All your child windows default to no command line.
This is intended as that window is not connected to the game itself.
It is just a display window.
You have to tell it what to put there.

You want to make a trigger that captures given lines you receive from the game over to the new window.

#TRIGGER {some pattern to match your chat line} {#CAPTURE Chat}
Beginner

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2021 4:34 am   

I really think you continue to believe I know about this than I do. ;) Really dumb it down, please.

For example, I opened a game window. I typed "#WIN Chat" which opened a new chat window (though it didn't go there automatically, it created the tab at the top which I then clicked on and as you say, no where to type.

I hit the tab for the game and was back in the game window and there I typed "##TRIGGER {who} {#CAPTURE Chat}" then I typed "who" and nothing happened and nothing was in the chat window.

I also deleted the space between the }{ (after who and before the #CAPTURE) and then hit enter and got an error message popup.

So, I think I'm just too unskilled here to do it. I really appreciate all the attempts but I don't feel right asking for more. It's extremely frustrating for me but that's not your problem and you've really tried.

Thanks. Maybe one day!
hpoonis2010
Adept

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2021 8:21 am   

You cannot use a pattern trigger to capture input. So typing 'who' has no effect. To test a trigger for 'who', type #SH "who" and the trigger will work.

#WIN is different. If you want to use WIN to write captured output then you need to put that captured output somewhere first. #WIN needs a window destination AND the text to display, and is more suited to anything you have scripted where you want to assign to variables and/or display some output.

#CAPture is anything RECEIVED from the mud.
shalimar
GURU

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2021 12:18 pm   

If you just want the word who in your chat window you would use:

#WIN Chat {who}

If you want the output of the who command to be redirected to the window, you need to set triggers with a pattern designed to capture said output.

There is a link to the various pattern matching symbols in #HELP #TRIGGER

If you want the step by step stereo instruction of how each command works, I suggest making use of the #HELP command to access the help files.

I am more than willing to help you out, if you are willing to try and learn.
Beginner

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2021 6:29 pm   

I would love to learn. But I have to be honest I don't know even what you assume I do, like why things are or are not all caps, what gets a # and what that means, etc. I've mudded since the early 90's (used telnet then zmud since 97 I think) and it was always easy right there. What we're talking about now is beyond me. I've looked at the helpfiles they also assume a level of knowledge on the reader that for me is not there.

I think I need to find someone local who frankly can share a screen and show me or come over or be on the phone or something.

I really appreciate your efforts. I've tried to do the things you (and others here) have described but it doesn't seem to work. I tested again last night and after three commands using the numpad, I started to type "open" and once I hit the "o" cmud sent a "north" command. Very frustrating.

Thanks again.
shalimar
GURU

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2021 7:32 pm   

Hit me up on Discord, I have walked people through the basics before.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » CMUD General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: