Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
Tharius
Beginner

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2020 4:09 pm   

How to configure buttons in multiple tabs without corruption

Hello everyone,

Suppose I'm simultaneously running 2 characters in separate tabs but I've placed them side by side. Each of these tabs have buttons whose label is being updated by triggers that call the appropriate #UPDATE id.

Each of the 2 characters has their own set of triggers, but the triggers are copied from one to the other, so, all the button id, trigger id, etc, are identical.

When I do this CMUD almost instantly corrupts, deleting all triggers, aliases, variables, etc from the open windows. It suggests to me that the task bar is not isolated per character despite seeming to be.

You may reasonably suggest that I don't need to have those gauges defined in both but since I'd like to see the health meter, spell time, etc, on a per character basis I would suggest I do. I surmise I could append the character name to the button ID on a per character basis, but that is a lot of reconfiguration that I'd like to avoid entirely.

Further, after this has happened triggers on other characters still appear, but no longer fire. The behaviour is precisely as if the trigger button had been pressed.

Is there a suggested workflow that would prevent this corruption and a suggested technique for repairing it?
shalimar
GURU

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2020 2:33 am   

The issue is your approach.
While you can have a separate connection in just another Window, it doesn't handle duplicate settings well (because of scoping).
What you need to do is create a separate session for each character, and then just connect to both sessions at the same time.
GURU

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2020 2:34 am   

Also, I would suggest that rather than duplicate the settings that are used by both characters, instead make a third package to house those settings, and have both of the character sessions load up the extra package as well.
Beginner

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2020 5:22 pm   

Sorry that it is unclear - I am using 2 separate sessions, with separate package files for the characters in question.

shalimar wrote:
The issue is your approach.
While you can have a separate connection in just another Window, it doesn't handle duplicate settings well (because of scoping).
What you need to do is create a separate session for each character, and then just connect to both sessions at the same time.
shalimar
GURU

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2020 12:26 am   

Have you tried running them in separate instances of CMUD?
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » CMUD General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: