Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
Post new topic  Reply to topic     Home » Forums » CMUD General Discussion Goto page 1, 2  Next
Royalty
Beginner

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 5:52 am   

Issue with Sounds

In Options > Sounds, the Startup, Connect, and Disconnect .wav files I selected from the Windows > Media folder on my Windows 10 PC were all accepted and work OK. The Beep sound, however, defaulted on the Windows Background file and refuses to accept the file I want for it, which is one of the generic ring files in the same folder. I got a little annoyed and decided to delete the Windows Background file, thinking the software might then accept something else. Instead, it's completely mute and beeping doesn't produce any sound no matter what I choose. This doesn't happen with MUSH or the other programs I've run. Any suggestions on a fix? I love CMUD but being alerted via beeping is essential as I'm often connected while at work and IAW.

Thanks.
shalimar
GURU

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 10:51 am   

Eh, I have never messed with those sound options myself.
When I want sound, I just stick it into a trigger proper with the #PLAY command.

#PLAY FishingCast.mp3
Beginner

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 11:04 am   

shalimar wrote:
Eh, I have never messed with those sound options myself.
When I want sound, I just stick it into a trigger proper with the #PLAY command.

#PLAY FishingCast.mp3

How would you link that sound file to the software? Other than aliases, triggers and timers, I don’t know how to use CMUD’s myriad of functions and features.
shalimar
GURU

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 11:19 am   

The #PLAY command can be put into almost any setting.
There is no need to link it, you pass the file name to the command.
Even complex file paths can be used:

#PLAY "G:\My Sounds\Groovy.wav"
Beginner

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 11:23 am   

shalimar wrote:
The #PLAY command can be put into almost any setting.
There is no need to link it, you pass the file name to the command.
Even complex file paths can be used:

#PLAY "G:\My Sounds\Groovy.wav"

Okay. So let’s say I would want groovy.wav to fire when the session screen sends me e.g. You are being BEEPED by %1!

How do I created a play command within the create trigger screen? I’m not very familiar with hashtag shortcuts.
shalimar
GURU

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 11:36 am   

the hashtag shortcuts as you call them, are the actual calls to the client commands.

If you want to create a trigger, you use the #TRIGGER command, same for #ALIASes and so on.

For the scenario you point out you would type the following on the command line:

#TRIGGER {You are being BEEPED} {#PLAY groovy.wav}

If you are entering it via the GUI, then you have to fill in the various text boxes.
On the pattern line you would stick:
You are being Beeped

Then down below you would need to ensure you are on the 'Script Text' tab and stick:
#PLAY groovy.wav
Beginner

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 11:43 am   

shalimar wrote:
the hashtag shortcuts as you call them, are the actual calls to the client commands.

If you want to create a trigger, you use the #TRIGGER command, same for #ALIASes and so on.

For the scenario you point out you would type the following on the command line:

#TRIGGER {You are being BEEPED} {#PLAY groovy.wav}

If you are entering it via the GUI, then you have to fill in the various text boxes.
On the pattern line you would stick:
You are being Beeped

Then down below you would need to ensure you are on the 'Script Text' tab and stick:
#PLAY groovy.wav

Right, I only use the GIU when creating aliases and triggers.

If I were doing it the way I usually do, I would’ve put the beep line in the pattern field and then entered #PLAY soundfilepath.wav in the first command line. I’m assuming this is not how this would be done since it would be asking CMUD to execute a play command rather than a basic one like ‘stand’ or ‘reply xyz’ etc.
shalimar
GURU

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 11:49 am   

That is exactly how you do it.
Meaning treat client commands just as a basic command, the internal parser will know not to send client commands to the game server.
Beginner

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 12:43 pm   

shalimar wrote:
That is exactly how you do it.
Meaning treat client commands just as a basic command, the internal parser will know not to send client commands to the game server.

It works. See, that's why you're the guru. Very Happy

Cheers.
Royalty
Beginner

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 8:29 am   

I've got an unrelated question but didn't want to make a new thread for it. If anyone has any insight, feel free to contribute.

I was wondering if there's a way to see your session's password anywhere in the client, as it's currently set to a typical autologin that displays the character name but not the PW. When I open the autolog folder in the triggers medium (the tree), it simply shows the value as #PW. I don't remember the password and am concerned that if ever I can't use the software or accidentally delete the session or the package, I won't be able to log in again. Getting assistance for it within the world I play is slow and inefficient. The password isn't gagged when used in-game (that box is unchecked).
shalimar
GURU

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 1:18 pm   

There is one possible way:

#ALIAS password {#SHOW %pass}

%pass has the value of the stored password, but will only retrieve it if used in a script (hence the alias), not directly from the command line.

P.S. So long as the threads are CMUD related and not superfluous SPAM, make as many as you want.
Beginner

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 9:54 pm   

shalimar wrote:
There is one possible way:

#ALIAS password {#SHOW %pass}

%pass has the value of the stored password, but will only retrieve it if used in a script (hence the alias), not directly from the command line.

P.S. So long as the threads are CMUD related and not superfluous SPAM, make as many as you want.

That worked well. Thank you.
Royalty
Beginner

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2018 5:07 pm   

I'm trying to create a trigger that would activate something on my end in the session window.

The pattern is this:

[YOUR INFO]: %1 has just moved to %2!

Problem is the square brackets turn light green in the pattern light and the trigger doesn't work. Removing them doesn't, either. Brackets aren't by default special characters in this client. Any suggestions on how to deal with this wildcard?
shalimar
GURU

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 12:00 am   

The actually are wildcards, or rather, they are pattern matching symbols for identifying a valid range.
#HELP #TRIGGER has a link to the help file for the symbols.

All you have to do is quote them out with the tilde '~' to have it match the literal brackets
Beginner

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 6:38 pm   

shalimar wrote:
The actually are wildcards, or rather, they are pattern matching symbols for identifying a valid range.
#HELP #TRIGGER has a link to the help file for the symbols.

All you have to do is quote them out with the tilde '~' to have it match the literal brackets

Thanks for the great support. That worked.
Royalty
Beginner

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 5:37 am   

I'm trying to make a trigger that works off this pattern:

*1%* tells the group '%2'

%2 would then be the command sent by whoever has this set up.

The *'s turn red and the trigger doesn't work. I tried using tildes before or after the asterisk symbols but it made no difference. Any suggestions?
shalimar
GURU

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 3:36 am   

In its simplest form, you could do something like:

#TR {tells the group '(*)'} {%1}

This version doesn't even care who is doing the telling, or what the command is.
You don't have to match the entire line for a trigger to fire.
Ideally, you would want some form of error checking, or else you could end up being easily abused.

#TR {{@trustedPeople} tells the group '({@autoCommands})'} {%1}

This would be checking against two variable lists @trustedPeople and @autoCommands.
Nothing will happen unless you get a match on both of them, but you have to populate the lists yourself.
Beginner

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 6:27 am   

shalimar wrote:
In its simplest form, you could do something like:

#TR {tells the group '(*)'} {%1}

This version doesn't even care who is doing the telling, or what the command is.
You don't have to match the entire line for a trigger to fire.
Ideally, you would want some form of error checking, or else you could end up being easily abused.

#TR {{@trustedPeople} tells the group '({@autoCommands})'} {%1}

This would be checking against two variable lists @trustedPeople and @autoCommands.
Nothing will happen unless you get a match on both of them, but you have to populate the lists yourself.

Thanks for the response.

The safeguard against abuse is indeed the asterisk, as non-leaders don't generate that output when they tell something to the group. I therefore prefer to use the symbols than add people on a case-by-case basis.

e.g. *Royalty* tells the group 'sleep' would cause all non-leaders to sleep. I make all my triggers in the GUI menu as mentioned in earlier posts. Any suggestion on how to make this type of trigger work while using the format I mentioned? I'm sure it's a similar problem to the [] issue I described in another post.
shalimar
GURU

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 12:54 pm   

#TR {~*%w~* tells the group ' (*)'} {%1}

The {} are defining the various segments of the code.

#TR stands for trigger
pattern: ~*%w~* tells the group ' (*)'
body: %1

The issue in your example is that you were trying to use the variable references (%1 %2 etc) in the pattern before they had had a chance to be defined. You need to use the pattern matching symbols I pointed out to you in earlier posts.
Beginner

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 3:48 pm   

shalimar wrote:
#TR {~*%w~* tells the group ' (*)'} {%1}

The {} are defining the various segments of the code.

#TR stands for trigger
pattern: ~*%w~* tells the group ' (*)'
body: %1

The issue in your example is that you were trying to use the variable references (%1 %2 etc) in the pattern before they had had a chance to be defined. You need to use the pattern matching symbols I pointed out to you in earlier posts.

Might I add that I changed ' (*)' to '(%1)' and your trigger worked like a dream. I know %w works as a variable, but I usually just use like %1 tells the group '%2' and that kind of thing seemed to work in, for example, ZMUD. Your replacement of the tildes is also different in that I had placed the first one before the asterisk and the second one after it, rather than both before the symbol. My apologies for returning to the GUI paradigm but I'm still too novice to understand making triggers with hashtags and brackets/parentheses.

Thanks for the feedback.
shalimar
GURU

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 9:22 pm   

zMUD was a lot looser in the coding standards, so sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.
This is the CMUD forum though, so I try to teach the most correct syntax.
Beginner

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2019 1:00 pm   

There was a recent Windows 10 update which reinstated the default beep sound I'd mention in my first post. It had not canceled out the media file I'd been using with the #PLAY function, so both were firing at the same time. I changed the trigger to pick another sound file (without disabling or deleting the system one, like last time) but now it simply won't accept the new media and defaults on the windows sound again, so I deleted it and remade the trigger using the original media I'd had prior. I tried to adjust things in the MSP settings but it didn't work and I can't seem to delete those two data in there either. I'll include screenshots of the problem areas and see if you have any insight into this. Note that "Windows Unlocked" is the new media I was using, with the previous being "Ring04". These are all standard media sounds found in the windows/media folder. The last picture is of the original trigger, unchanged, which no long works either (for the old file).

shalimar
GURU

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 2:30 am   

A bit stumped as to what would change your sounds.
I wanna say it sounds like corruption and you need to reinstall.

Do you have another program playing sounds when this won't?
It is possible that that program is trying to take exclusive control of the speakers (advances tab in the properties of the device) preventing CMUD from being heard.
Beginner

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 7:42 pm   

Let me try to clarify: The sound I wanted was Windows Unlock, which has a space in it. That doesn't work when used in the #PLAY trig from the start of the thread. But when I try, say, ring03, that works. For some reason ring04, which was the one i'd chosen up until the system update after which i wanted to change sounds, wouldnt work either once i tried to replace it with the other one (in the same session). But for sure CMUD does have a flaw in that it lets the windows beep sound override the user-specific one (in the GUI), even though the trigs can work around it. I guess updates are done now though.
shalimar
GURU

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2019 12:34 am   

They have been long finished, unfortunately.

as for the file name having a space in it, that can be addressed:

#PLAY "C:\Windows\media\Windows Unlock.wav"
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » CMUD General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: