Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
Post new topic  Reply to topic     Home » Forums » CMUD General Discussion Goto page Previous  1, 2
Fizban1216 Posted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 12:39 am
CMUD Development Dead
oldguy2
Wizard

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 10:04 am   

By the way, does anyone have a list of the confirmed outstanding bugs? It can't be that large.
Amorelia
Beginner

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2012 12:06 pm   

k_starling wrote:
Regular bug fixes are (or should be) part of what we paid for as well, and we haven't gotten any in more than a year.

I've got 2 years of free updates. What I haven't got is anything saying there will be any updates so, even if nothing else happens, I'll still end up with what I paid for.

IMO one of the weaknesses of CMUD is documentation (eg examples of functions and each of their parameters), so I'm having to dig into the forum for answers to things that I think should be in the manual. Open-source is not renowned for good documentation either.
vwombat
Beginner

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 10:24 am   

Came here to suggest open source release if the project is truly dead... I wouldn't go as far as saying "it's the right thing to do" but it is certainly the best way of keeping the software alive and well and working into the future. If thousands of hours went into making it what it is today, it would be a shame to just let it rot and fall into disrepair rather than letting folks continue the evolution of the software.

Amorelia- I think it'd be ideal to have a Wiki for it so that the community can keep the documentation up-to-date and provide script snippets, etc. But I agree with you on the documentation front.
MattLofton
GURU

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 3:32 pm   

Don't need a Wiki, we already have the online helpfiles stashed in the CMud Support section of this website. Everyone has access to them, which means regular players can leave comments if they find something wrong, a workaround for something buggy, or a better explanation of stuff that seemed unclear. If/when the comments get too long, Gurus can incorporate them into the main helpfile so that the proper information is kept visible/at the top.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 7:36 pm   

Just a random suggestion as far as the money issue. One of the things I truely hate the most, is making triggers, updating a map, etc. on one computer and then having to export the settings, and re-import on say my laptop. A lot of times I forget that I even made changes and eventually I end up over writing something on one or the other.

As a possible (not to difficult I would think) solution to help bring in some consistent money - why not make cmud/zmud registered to the same user automatically send the exported code to ya'll, and on the start of cmud check to make sure the latest version is installed. I'd pay a small fee per month recurring if this was possible. If people want to upgrade their subscription, they can pay the monthly fee. If they don't want to and are better at keeping their versions updated manually than I am, power to them they can pay the one time fee to subscribe.

Since you already have the application registering to a specific user, it seems like with a little bit of hard drive space and some minimal bandwidth you could bring in some recurring income and hopefully continue development in other aspects?
Daern
Sorcerer

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 8:37 pm   

This was planned years ago, but at this point I think it's unlikely that it'll ever happen. Have you tried using dropbox to keep your settings synced across multiple computers?
orphean
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 3:38 am   

Just wanted to say as a loyal customer (I even bought zmapper Laughing ) thanks for all the work you've done. I'm sad it will bitrot but what can you do? For those asking for 'open sourcing' it's pretty much never going to be feasible due to the amount of commercial libraries it uses. Even if Zugg wanted to open-source it, which is noone's business but his own, it won't be in a compilable state and generally useless on its own.

So long Zugg, thanks for all the fish.
Pogi

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 7:40 am   

Took a while to learn this. Can we get an official announcement and sticky? Also Zugg, if you're not going to continue development. Make it an open source project. Let other's in. You're not making money anyway right? You can set up for donations to continue the project. The legacy will continue, the community will be happy, and it won't consume your time and financial resources. Think about it.
Daern
Sorcerer

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 5:49 pm   

About open source, see the post directly above yours. I agree a sticky would be nice though.
kreezxil

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 2:28 pm   

Since you've been gone -- is that a song? Things like patreon have cropped up.

I think you should set up a patreon account and when someone commits to a monthly donation level, you give the a special code that works for them only, since the mud client requires the internet, you can have it check with a server to see if the code is being used on just one computer (like the way mojang does account authentication), if account authentication fails the client is returned to a crippled state.

In that way if the donator stops their monthly donations you can deactivate their authentication.
Sutex-Kindred
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2021 12:51 am   

It's now 2021, And I play Star Citizen and my Mud.

The issue about updates for CMUD is more broad than money or time. It's about an idea, a concept decades old, Mudding!.

Mudding is a medium that needs to be protected and cherished as it's a living history of our world connected, online. In a time before GUI and the sprites danced across a screen on anything one could call a personal 'gaming' computer.

For that end alone CMUD needs to be updated, to encourage and preserve the life of muds. I would suggest CROWD FUNDING, along with any other means possible to breath life into the client, which is the standard and synonymous with Muds that started with Zmud.
Adept

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2021 1:04 pm   

I would be open to crowd funding as long as the original developer is not involved. I have no truck with one who is happy to rake in money and provide zero support in any way, shape or form.

The product could do with attention in certain areas and yes, the documentation could be expanded for areas that are sparse.
Sutex-Kindred
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2021 1:10 pm   

hpoonis2010 wrote:
I would be open to crowd funding as long as the original developer is not involved. I have no truck with one who is happy to rake in money and provide zero support in any way, shape or form.

The product could do with attention in certain areas and yes, the documentation could be expanded for areas that are sparse.

Well, You first have to read all the post above Zugg explained his reasoning and it's his baby.
Adept

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2021 6:48 am   

His reasons interest me not. What does irk me is that the price is still the same as the product is still the same.

Would you pay full price for a 10-year-old Lambretta/Honda? If the big bugbear is that there is licensed code blah blah that blah blah blah ... then drop the price...or release the code so that others may work on it with a license which suggest that a nominal price to cover the <whatever mysterious paid-for code exists>.

By the by...I did get a response from the Axmud developer. That product is still being worked on but the discussions have moved (apparently) to GIT...although I have never really used GIT so I have no idea where they may live.
Sutex-Kindred
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2021 12:01 pm   

I just brought Cmud Pro cost me 13 AUD, as an upgrade to CMUD_3, as it has better Database support and this will come in handy, http://forums.zuggsoft.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=30282.

The point is development stopped?, who really knows, because of cost vs sales, on top of outside economic issues.
Adept

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2021 3:15 pm   

:) Thanks but, after paying viable software price for one unsupported, aged version, I am not going to be paying more money to have a similarly old and unsupported version.

It makes no difference if development ceased or not, if you are still charging people the same amount 11 years after development ceased, you should offer more than just making a show when licenses (more money for old rope) are at fault.

I expect more from people than to be a vast collective of Don. Trump types: take money from folk and offer sod all except a thank you. I expect more integrity from humans. Stupid me.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » CMUD General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: