Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
Elo

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 11:51 am   

Record and retrieve page / tell history by character

Hello!

I tried to find something like that on the forum (particularly the finished scripts) but couldn't locate it.

I would like to have a way to record all the personal communication of my character(s) on a MUSH, and be able to search all the communications with a specific person through time.

Example:
Friend1 pages: hello
Friend2 pages: nice to see you!
You page Friend1: hi!

And then a month later I would like to be able to see for Friend1
(...)
(2017.01.02-07:32) Friend1 pages: hello
(2017.01.02-07:33) You page Friend1: hi!
(...)

or do "history Friend2" and have:
(...)
(2017.01.02-07:32) Friend2 pages: nice to see you!
(...)

This will span on multiple days, for multiple people (25+), so after a little while it will be 1000 records and go beyond.

If someone can point me to an existing solution: thanks a lot!

If not, do you have advice? If I have to do it myself, I can think of two solutions:
1) store it in a database with fields like time (as text), character (as text), content (as text), then do a search on that. Then I could do something like "history Friend1" and see in a side window.
2) or create a text file for each different person and write / read from it (?) It is ok for me to have to open the file of that person in notepad to read the history there if I can't have it in a side window.

The solution with the database feels like it would be more adapted, but it is probably a bit more complicated to do, and I am a bit afraid that it gets corrupted through time or similar things.
Files seem more safe, but perhaps very slow? It does have the advantage that if I want to reread things in 5 years, I don't depend on a successful installation of zmud wherever I will be.
Other bit of information: there is no "page history" implemented in itself in the mush.
I use zMud 7.21 on Windows 10 on a SSD, if that is relevant about speed or stability. Moving to CMUD is a possibility if really needed, but I have no other motivation for that (this is a MUSH: I have 10 triggers and the only other things that matter are logging, spellchecker and scrolling up).

Thank you!
Vijilante
SubAdmin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 11:25 pm   

I would suggest using text files with separate files for each person. You would have to write the alias(es) for different options but the controls in File Commands and Functions will handle it easily. Also if you want to be able to search all the recorded conversations then you use the #LAUNCH command for example #LAUNCH {find "some words" Dir\* > searchResult.txt} and then you would disply the searchResult.txt using #TYPE
Elo

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 7:00 pm   

Will try that, thank you!
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » zMUD General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: