Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
Tech
GURU

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 3:20 pm   

Kickstarter for Update

Hi Zugg,

I've only recently had a chance to start doing some MUDding again, but I use TESSH faithfully. I know because of the economics of MUD, sales and life you had to go back to corporate. (I hope that's still going great by the way.) I did start thinking, if a campaign were a la Kickstarter or similar, what kind of goal would be need for a one shot update to the CMUD/TeSSH core?

Also wouldn't anyone else be interested in something like this?
GURU

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 1:14 pm   

I would definitely be interested.
Beginner

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 9:44 pm   

I'd be up for helping with that.
Daern
Sorcerer

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 11:20 pm   

Would like to hear what you had in mind for the one shot update, but absolutely.
Tech
GURU

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 4:24 am   

Don't really have too much in mind, would expect Zugg to set. I know there was a long standing wish list.

Perhaps the only ones I had in mind were full support for the latest windows (I'm fine but I'm sure there are minor issues). Clean up the package library or an option for a local package library. Tackling whatever the top bugs are.

I'm sure linux/unix support would be appreciated but I recall it being essentially a non-starter based on tooling limitations. I don't imagine that's changed but one can dream.

I'm also remembering that will have to be a lot of refreshing and tooling update, along with dusting off the cobwebs of the codebase.

So bottom line I'm open, but I've always considered CMUD/TeSSH to be one of the best products I've ever bought/used. First wanted to if it was feasible and what it would take.

My wild guess (emphasis on wild and baseless) it'll probably be 10 - 20K just for software hardware updates, and at least a similar number to provide a worthwhile update that's worth the time to code it.
SubAdmin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 1:17 pm   

I think as a one shot update the only thing that should be done is improving compatibility with newer versions of Windows and maybe a 64 bit version. No new features.

Migrating to 64 bit should be rather easy for Zugg because integer types in the language used to make CMud are all size specific. He could easily search the code for the 32bit sized integers and make decisions about increasing them to 64bit sized.

Both items are still a matter of various libraries he was using and whether they have been updated or discontinued or some other bad thing.
Tech
GURU

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 6:50 pm   

Maybe there could be stretch goals Very Happy

Other easy possibilities are dll update for lua and sqllite.. ( I can confirm simply renaming the existing sqlite3.dll works seems to work ).

Another nice one would be update the backend component for the CMUD database to use SQLite as well (I don't think it does, but not sure).

Ultimately Zugg will let us know what can be done, but yeah, if only one thing is possible then comparability with later versions of windows should be it. For example, while I know it doesn't seem to break anything, Windows 10 sometimes complains about DirectPlay not being available.
Novice

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 1:21 am   

If something would make Cmud more stable. I'd be willing to donate.
Fizban1216
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 3:07 am   

Fallen.Anvil wrote:

It's oddly more stable for me on Windows 10 than it ever was on Windows 7 or 8, what OS version are you currently using?
Llohr
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 4:22 am   

I would certainly be down for something like this, and there is one major change I really feel strongly about seeing, though it spawns a lot of issues:

Corruption. Even sessions with virtually nothing in the way of scripts are subject to it. It seems almost certain to happen if Windows shuts down CMUD. I purchased Windows 10 Pro simply so that I could prevent it from shutting down on its own, but that's not enough to stop the problem entirely; even closing character windows and manually closing CMUD seems to cause it on occasion, as does freezing and having to be killed.

I get really frustrated dealing with this, and frequently quit mudding entirely for months at a time because I simply don't want to deal with the sudden corruption of all of my packages.

New battlestation seems to have fewer problems, for whatever reason. I highly doubt the ECC RAM could have anything to do with it, but the speed of the system might.

I guess I'd also really like to see window behavior refined, and a way to script window placement/settings/etc.
If I could write an alias that would set my default colors where I wanted them, set up spam protection, place windows in the configurations I prefer, enable/disable packages or the tick timer for specific windows based on rules, etc., I'd cut the time it takes to deal with corruption in half, or better.

I'd agree that CMUD itself seems more stable on this 64bit Windows 10 machine than it ever did on previous PCs, I'm pretty happy with that :)

Obviously, for Zugg to want to do something like this, he'd have to raise enough money to pay himself a high enough hourly rate to be worth giving up some of his precious and no-doubt limited free time, assuming there's even a price high enough for that. God knows there are times you'd have to pay me quit-my-job money to get me to take on anything beyond what I've already got running.

All that said, I'd pitch in for basically any proposed work, I have very likely used CMUD more than any other program, and I'm the kind of guy who pays for WinRAR.

P.S., Tech, I wouldn't mind seeing a unix/linux port either.
Fallen.Anvil
Novice

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 12:24 am   

Fizban1216 wrote:
Fallen.Anvil wrote:

It's oddly more stable for me on Windows 10 than it ever was on Windows 7 or 8, what OS version are you currently using?

It's more stable for me under 10 but I still have the odd error when opening the program sometimes.
Fallen.Anvil
Novice

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 12:27 am   

I just got a:

Error opening pcre810.dll library
A dynamic Link Library (DLL) Initialization routine failed.
shalimar
GURU

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 1:52 pm   

Try rebooting.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » CMUD General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: