Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
Severine

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 10:41 am   

Embarrassingly simple question

I've only been using CMud for a week but the aliases have me stumped.

Right now I'm just trying to figure out how it works, so I'm trying to create a simple alias that makes me walk from the start location to the castle moat. I wouldn't normally use an alias for this, but I'm trying something simple just to work it out.

So I've got the following:

<alias name="moat" id="23">
<value>w;w;w;n;w</value>
</alias>

But whenever I type moat into the command line and enter it, I just get my MUD telling me "I didn't understand that". However when I select "execute script" from the alias editor window, it works just fine.

I'm embarrassed to even have to ask what I'm doing wrong. I'm sure I'm missing something simple (and yes, the alias is enabled). Embarassed
MisterDwooD
Novice

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 12:53 am   

I believe you need spaces between the directions. Like this:

<value>w; w; w; n; w</value>

I could be wrong, I don't use cMUD. But the main reason I haven't switch from z to c is because of the space required after the semicolor. I did speak with Zugg about this and he said it wasn't supposed to work w;w;x;e in zmud, but it did, and he fixed it for cmud, now you have to have spaces separating the commands even when using the ";".

Try that and let us know.
Daern
Sorcerer

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 11:29 am   

Spaces are not required after semi-colons, although it's generally preferred to just stick each command on its own line anyway, it makes it much more readable than with semi-colons. The problem is likely that you have parsing turned off, is there a red X over the little computer icon to the right of the command line? If there is, click it to turn it back on (or use the ctrl+R keyboard shortcut).
shalimar
GURU

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 12:55 pm   

For simple things like directions, you could use the shortcut syntax for a path:
.3wnw
of course you need to remember what the corresponding diaginals are for that
h=nw
j=ne
k=sw
l=se

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 3:16 pm   

Daern wrote:
Spaces are not required after semi-colons, although it's generally preferred to just stick each command on its own line anyway, it makes it much more readable than with semi-colons. The problem is likely that you have parsing turned off, is there a red X over the little computer icon to the right of the command line? If there is, click it to turn it back on (or use the ctrl+R keyboard shortcut).

I knew it was something silly like that! That was exactly it. Thanks Daern!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » CMUD General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: