Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
Kosmo

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2014 3:55 pm   

Setting deletion - restore

I created copies of my mud session, went into one of them, and cleared most of the triggers/settings.

When I opened up the original, copied session - the settings were gone there too!

My "-backup" file also has the settings gone.

Am I just "Sorry, Out of Luck"?
MattLofton
GURU

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2014 6:19 am   

The really, really short answer is "yep, you're out of luck".

The longer answer is that your multiple sessions were all pointing to the same file, so updates in one session will reflect in the other sessions dependant on whichever session saved last. In your case, Session A deleted all the settings and then got closed, followed by Session B getting opened. Had you opened them side-by-side, Session B would have still shown the undeleted version of the file (at least until the settings were refreshed) and if you then saved Session B you would have undone your deletion from Session A. Similarly, had you gone and done extensive scripting in Session B first and then deleted everything in Session A you would've found Session B no longer had anything.

To avoid this scenario in the future, go into your Session Properties for the session you want to diffferentiate and click on the Package Files tab therein. This tab has three input boxes--one for the main package file, one for the layout file, and one for the list of all the other package files included in this session. Make sure to change the main package file name to something that isn't set in one of your other sessions.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 3:41 pm   

I would say maybe just import the data, then get the users to come back and make a fresh account.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » CMUD General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: