Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
waltv79

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 1:07 am   

numpad bug in new cMud 3

After upgrading to cMud 3 from 2 now every time I hit a direction on the numpad to walk around it puts the number in the command line instead of supressing it. If there is a work around for this pleqase do tell but for now I think it's a bug that should be addressed as it stops people from easy navigation in their muds.

ok I found a simple yet pain in the butt workaround until this can be fixed make a new wind without a command line in it and click in the new window to lose focus on the one with the comand line granted you will have to click in the command line again but it's better than haveing 50 random numbers in the command line.
Tech
GURU

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 2:52 am   

I think maybe local echo is on. Does it only happen for the numpad?

One thing to check is in CMUD go to Options -> General -> Session -> Keyboard and make sure the Local Echo option is not checked.

Also you can check your English Keypad package to make sure nothing weired is happening there. To see this, go the Package Editor (by pressing Ctrl-G) then going to View -> Show Default Packages.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 4:51 am   

Everything checks out propper as you described to check and it still does it.
hogarius
Adept

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 6:20 pm   

Perhaps check if Num Lock, Scroll Lock or Caps Lock are turned on?
Moo
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 2:19 pm   

I get this if I do "new connection" from the menus, but not in my normal session. It does send the direction to the MUD, but also adds the number you pressed into the command line.
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 5:04 pm   

When you use "new connection" CMUD is creating a new window for the session, but does not load any packages (such as the English Keypad package).
Moo
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 11:42 pm   

But it does send the directions to the mud. So if I press 6, it'll send "e" to the mud, but also type a "6" into the command prompt... If it wasn't loading the keypad package.. Shouldn't it just type the "6"?
Rahab
Wizard

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 12:24 pm   

It sounds like both windows are connected to the mud, one does not have the keypad package attached, and when you type, the command is being sent by both windows--once using the keypad package to turn it into a direction, and once as the keypad number.
kinthelt

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 2:54 am   

Has this been resolved? I'm getting the same problem.
MattLofton
GURU

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 3:10 am   

I've only seen it happen in obscenely-spammed situations (specifically the Aardwolf Birthday Area's Lemmings game), which is probably not CMud's fault.
Wizard

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 3:16 pm   

You'll have to explain in detail what is happening you you, Kinthelt, and what you have tried to fix it.
kinthelt

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 1:54 am   

If I start to enter a command, then move using the numpad, the direction is appended to the command and is sent to the MUD. I tried the numlock key, local echo, and nothing funny going on in the English Keypad package (though I don't know what to look out for).
dam1211

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 10:47 pm   

This same problem just started happening to me too.

I had been playing today with no problem, then all of a sudden the keypad started prefixing directions with a number.

E.g. 5look

Funny thing, I posted this message and then returned to my session, and the problem went away :/ weird
Yolkfolk

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 8:04 pm   

I just upgraded from 2.37 to 3.33a and am having the same problem.

Just to be sure that none of my own macros were responsible, I made a brand new session, with only English Keypad, English Directions and Clickable URLs packages. When the session window is docked to the main Cmud toolbar window, the keypad direction macros work correctly.

As soon as any session window is undocked, forming its own new window, the same macros issue the direction command to the server AND also append the command to the command line.

Re-docking the window to the main Cmud toolbar window immediately corrects the problem, without any changes to settings of any kind. Un-docking the session into its own window causes the problem to come back.

Please please let me know what I can do to fix this, as it is not easy to keep all my windows tabbed, but that is the only way to be able to use the keypad directions currently.
Anaristos
Sorcerer

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:41 pm   

Actually this problem predates 3.33. At any rate, I've narrowed it down to some sort of focus problem, though I can't predict when it will happen. When numbers start appearing on the command line while I am using the keypad, I click on the main window and the problem goes away.

EDIT: Note my last entry in this post. Though the problem is not related to the Editor being open.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 1:11 am   

Clicking on the main window does indeed allow me to use the numpad to issue directions to my separate session window. I clearly cannot then type anything else onto that sessions command line. As soon as I give focus back to the session window, the number pad goes back to both issuing commands to te server AND appending the key number to the command line.
I checked the settings for the macros in the English Keypad package, and only the send command to server checkbox is checked.

if I deactivate that package, and/or make my own macro for that key, I get the same bad behavior, with whatever command I have macroed being issued to the server and the number for that key being appended to the command line.

THis is not an occasional issue, as described in the thread you mentioned, but happens with any session I open every time.
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 5:46 pm   

Try holding down the SHIFT key and use the Open Offline option to reset your window layout. The old 2.37 version had a docked command line which no longer exists in the 3.x versions, so maybe somehow your command line is in a separate docked panel that is causing the focus issue.

If that doesn't work, then you'll need to start with a fresh session where you said that it works and then import your scripts and try to narrow down exactly what causes this to start happen.
Anaristos
Sorcerer

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 12:42 am   

I have re-created my packages several times, in fact, the packages currently in use were re-created less than a week ago. This doesn't have an impact as far as the keypad problem is concerned. The problem has to be with the handling of the keypad itself. For instance, I have KEY5 set to the Glance command and ALT-KEY5 set to Look. Many times, when I hit the 5 on the keypad, Look and not Glance gets sent to the mud. I've found that minimizing and restoring CMUD restores the proper function of this key (or any other key where the ALT-keypress is also defined). Since clicking on the main window "clears up" the writing of keypad characters to the command line, thinking that it is a focus problem is not too far-fetched. Both minimize/restore and clicking on the window control causes CMUD to change its focus and this, in turn, restores keypad function.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 8:20 pm   

Zugg wrote:
Try holding down the SHIFT key and use the Open Offline option to reset your window layout. The old 2.37 version had a docked command line which no longer exists in the 3.x versions, so maybe somehow your command line is in a separate docked panel that is causing the focus issue.

If that doesn't work, then you'll need to start with a fresh session where you said that it works and then import your scripts and try to narrow down exactly what causes this to start happen.

In my particular case, a fresh session, with no user added scripts or settings of any kind still appends numbers to the command line when the keypad is used and the window is undocked from the CMUD menubar and toolbars, and behaves correctly when docked. In each case, the command line is integrated at the bottom of the session window.
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 4:47 pm   

YES! That is it! I was finally able to reproduce this bug by opening a blank session, loading the "English Directions" and "English Keypad" packages (via #LOAD) and then undocking the main session window. When the main session window is undocked, using the keypad echoes the number into the command line.

Thanks very much for your patience and help in tracking this down. I have no idea why undocking the window would cause this, but I should be able to fix it in the next bug-fix update.

Confirmed and Added to the bug list.
megamog75
Enchanter

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 12:03 am   

Zugg wrote:
YES! That is it! I was finally able to reproduce this bug by opening a blank session, loading the "English Directions" and "English Keypad" packages (via #LOAD) and then undocking the main session window. When the main session window is undocked, using the keypad echoes the number into the command line.

Thanks very much for your patience and help in tracking this down. I have no idea why undocking the window would cause this, but I should be able to fix it in the next bug-fix update.

Confirmed and Added to the bug list.

Not fixed, this just happened to me.

It happens even making new connections.
I even tried reinstalling Cmud, Very frustrating.

2 hours later....
A COMPLETE un-install, making sure all files in the original Cmud folder were deleted. I kept my session files so I did not have to start from scratch.
Then A fresh install fixed the bug. I hope that does not happen again!!!!!
Llohr
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 4:59 pm   

Note, if you are using #capture type windows, clicking on a capture window (or any such window with no packages active except for that which created it) will cause numbers to be appended when you move with the numpad. Clicking on the main output window (that which has the keypad package enabled) will stop it from happening. Similarly, a currently active slow-walk will just completely disappear if you click on such a window before the slow walk is completed.

The problem is exacerbated if you have a window setting issue such as having a command line, status bar, or network connection enabled for a capture window, causing CTRL-SHIFT to hit that window when cycling through open sessions.
megamog75
Enchanter

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 5:10 pm   

Thank you, very good to know. I have experienced seveal bugs since this one. I found that if I use system restore to just roll back the effected files that this fixes the problems.

It's too bad Zugg gave up on this for now. I myself have taken a 10yr break from mudding to raise my family so I know how it can be. Hopefully like me he will come back to make a few tweaks before muds are all gone, which unfortunatly they are dissapearing at an exponential rate every year.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » CMUD General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: