Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
evdryst
Beginner

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 5:43 pm   

Editing exits' names

How would I edit an existing exit's name with script? I have the vNum of both rooms, the proper direction as well as the exit's named' direction, the name of both rooms, and the short name of both rooms. I do NOT have the return direction though.

Why I need it:
Imagine a mapped grid of rooms with standard exits. Then imagine all those exits renamed every few hours to other, random directions, but they still point to the same rooms they used to. For example room A and room B are next to each other connected with an w-e exit. When the remapping occurs they are still connected, but the exit out of room A might say "s", and out of room B "nw". I'd like to be able to traverse my mapped grid of rooms with standard directions, so in my example, out of room A I'd like to type "e" and it should go s into room B.

Thanks
MattLofton
GURU

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 7:57 pm   

It's going to be a long, complicated, and probably futile effort (due to bugs and incomplete features), and perhaps may require you to also own ZMapper (for extended functionality not present in ZMud). Given the sheer number of exit objects you'll probably need to be changing, you probably will have have lag issues as well (depending on the size of the map).

You also don't specify the logic governing the exits change nor how you might be detecting when it happens, so if you cannot tell that the change has occurred or predict where it ends up then the above stuff you'd have to do is basically pointless.
Beginner

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 8:10 pm   

It's about 20 rooms in what is meant to be a maze. I will only notice the switchover when my exits don't send me to the rooms they should (I trigger-recognize the rooms and then #TE to them). I want to set up triggers that then remaps the "scrambled" exits.

To explain it in another way, I always know where I am on the grid, but not how to get to specific rooms.

I don't mind buying zMapper if it'll solve this.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » zMUD General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: