Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
ciffer25

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 12:57 am   

Triggers do not save on exit

My triggers do not save when I exit zMUD. I have the box checked to auto save on exit. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling zMUD but that did not help.
MattLofton
GURU

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 3:25 am   

When installing ZMud on an OS more modern than XP (Windows Vista, Windows 7, and the upcoming Windows 8), you absolutely cannot store data files in an application files directory (ie, no .MUD files in Program Files).

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 7:25 am   

I am using windows 7. It seems like that would be something the zuggsoft people would fix.
ciffer25

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 10:27 am   

is there a way to manually save the triggers and such so they load on start up?
Taz
GURU

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 11:08 am   

zMUD is at end of life and not supported on any OS newer than Windows XP. As this is the case there is nothing for Zuggsoft to fix.

I've not installed zMUD for a long time so I can't remember if it asks for two locations during install like CMUD does, for this reason my advice is to install zMUD at the root of your preferred hard drive so for instance C:\zMUD or D:\zMUD, this echoes what Matt told you which is not to store data in OS protected locations.

If you follow our advice you will find zMUD will work as you expect it to.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 11:42 am   

So that would mean installing it to it's own folder on the c:/ drive instead of c:/program files (32-bit), or however it is worded ?
shalimar
GURU

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 11:51 am   

yes

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 12:01 am   Success saving settings for two characters in zMUD

I'm late to this thread, but I had the same problem. I have Vista, SP2.
I found that if you set up some things manually, it works great. I had big problems at first though. It said it was saving to the c:\program files\zmud\aderonmud folder, but it never created that folder. It would show me a whole set of files inside this imaginary folder that it thought it had created. It drove me nuts looking for it. I'm guessing it saves settings in zmud and assumes that its settings reflect reality, whether or not they do.
Ok, to fix it. First, get it to create a .mud file somewhere, anywhere. I logged into one of the stock muds that it had listed, created a trigger, and did the #save, and got a .mud file.
Then, I went (in Windows Explorer) to the folder where I wanted to save settings for my mud, which happens to be c:\mike\aderonmud\, and I created subfolders for my characters Mystic and Bexar. Then I copied my single .mud file to 3 places, so I had c:\mike\aderonmud\aderonmud.mud, c:\mike\aderonmud\mystic\mystic.mud, and c:\mike\aderonmud\bexar\bexar.mud.
Then in zmud, I edited the character icon for mystic, files tab, and set Path = c:\mike\aderonmud, subfolder = Mystic, Primary = Mystic.mud, inherited = Aderonmud.mud. And I did the same for Bexar, so the 2 characters have their own primary files.
I also need to note, I often got I/O errors while trying to navigate the folder paths to make these settings. I found that if I first double-clicked on the folder that it already had set, and then double-clicked on the parent folder , that I could successfully make it change, and I had to continue adjusting the setting one folder level at a time. If I tried to set it directly to a completely different path, it couldn't handle it.
So it was touchy, but in the end I can log in both characters and they both have their own settings. When I do #save for mystic, it saves to c:\mike\aderonmud\mystic\mystic.mud, and for bexar it saves to c:\mike\aderonmud\bexar\bexar.mud.
I wish there was a way to tell it to save to the primary or inherited file, but that's another issue.
I hope this helps someone.
Mike
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » zMUD General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: