Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
oxseyn
Wanderer

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 1:41 am   

Speedwalking is buggy

My assumption is that regardless of zones I should simply be able to speedwalk from any room in any zone to any other room in any other zone either by using the vNum or the shortname of the room.

This appears to work for me most of the time when I'm not trying to speedwalk into a room in another zone. However, when I'm trying to speedwalk into a room in another zone it consistently breaks. Sometimes i can walk to a room, but then not back. It just doesn't seem to make any sense and the documentation does not explain to me what I'm experiencing at all.

Help?
oxseyn
Wanderer

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 1:50 am   

I lied, doesn't even work most of the time in the same zone. From some rooms it does, from other rooms it does not. No idea wtf is happening.
oxseyn
Wanderer

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 2:02 am   

It seems to work correctly all the time (to rooms in the same zone only) if I right click on another room and select speedwalk to room. I'm not a mouse user though and hate speedwalking this way.
If I select another zone, then right click a room in that other zone and select speedwalk to room it completely bugs out.
oxseyn
Wanderer

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 2:20 am   

The main room is "the green" and has a short title of "green". If I'm only one room away and type #walk green, it'll move me to the room correctly. However, if I'm more than two room away from the green - it always just sends a single "s" to the mud.
oxseyn
Wanderer

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 3:58 am   

I created a brand new map and it resolved all the problems. Not sure what happened to my map ... but that sucks, seems like I have to start from scratch now. :/
bothkill
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 5:33 am   

My guess is there are duplicate exits and the mapper cannot deal with that case. (i.e. two south exits, one leading to a room, and the other leading to another room or to nowhere.)

I would identify the two rooms (start and destination rooms) where the speedwalk doesn't work, and then check the exits of all the rooms along the path.

Last edited by bothkill on Mon Apr 09, 2012 5:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
oxseyn
Wanderer

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 1:16 pm   

bothkill wrote:
My guess is there are dupicate exits and the mapper cannot deal with that case. (i.e. two south exits, one leading to a room, and the other leading to another room or to nowhere.)

I would identify the two rooms (start and destination rooms) where the speedwalk doesn't work, and then check the exits of all the rooms along the path.

Thanks. I would try that except I already started rebuilting my map from scratch. I discovered that you can hide all the superfluous zone labels which makes it so I don't have to mangle my grid quite so badly, which is a really nice thing.
If only there was some more fine-grained control over labels built into the client ....
Rahab
Wizard

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 5:40 pm   

I believe that fine-grain control was a part of Zmapper, and would be included in Cmapper once it is made. The client was never intended to have full control of the map details.
MattLofton
GURU

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 9:02 pm   

Your mapfile is corrupted. It very likely can be fixed easily via the repair option in MapConvert, assuming you still have the original mapfile.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » CMUD General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: