Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
oxseyn
Wanderer

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 2:45 am   

Portals

I'm having trouble finding documentation on portals. Where are they stored in the configuration? I can't find them anywhere. Is there anyway to make their behavior more advanced (add verification to ensure that the command worked) or would it just be better to not use the portal system and develop my own?
bothkill
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 6:56 am   Re: Portals

oxseyn wrote:
I'm having trouble finding documentation on portals.

For documentation I use the CMUD menu Help/Search (enter portal - and you'll get the related help files)

oxseyn wrote:
Where are they stored in the configuration?

Portals are stored in .dbm map database file, in the 'PortalTbl' table.

That's pretty much all I know about portals Smile .
Rahab
Wizard

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 1:36 pm   

No, there is no way to automatically make their behavior more advanced. You could, however, wrap your portal command inside other commands that do such checking.

Could you explain exactly what you want to do with portals?
Anaristos
Sorcerer

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 1:13 am   

If you read the documentation on how the #PORTAL command works (also the%portal function), you will notice that it says that, at the location you want the portal to land you, you enter #PORTAL <somestring>. Whatever <somestring> is, it will be parsed by CMUD. So, in practical terms, <somestring> will be the name of an alias. So to invoke the portal, you use that alias. Within the alias you do (i.e. send commands to the mud) whatever needs to be done, e.g. fetching the mud portal object from a container, equipping the portal and finally entering the portal. Within the alias you can do pretty much as you wish. Client side, the data for portals is kept in a table that can be accessed via the Edit menu on the mapper. You can update the portal data manually via this table, or use the %portal function. Also read the documentation for the %portalenable function.
GURU

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 4:28 pm   

I would suggest you use a trigger and the #TELEPORT command if you want to error proof where you arrived at.
Portal is more for those games that have a 'go home' type command that always goes to one spot.
Sorcerer

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 1:25 am   

You are correct, Shalimar. That would command would be placed within the alias to be executed. The execution would update one's location on the map. I tend to put it toward the sequence since, being a CMUD command, it will execute immediately and will not actually correspond to the sequence being executed by the server. Since my portal routines are general, I use this:
Code:

#TELEPORT  %portal($portalalias) // Relocate position on map.

Where $portalalias corresponds to <somestring> mentioned above.
Wanderer

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 8:57 pm   

Portal's don't seem to be used by the speedwalking algorithm. Is there any way to accomplish such a task? I.E. if I say #walk <dest> I want the speedwalker to utilize any available "portals" to get as close as possible to the destination ...
Daern
Sorcerer

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 11:45 pm   

It should. Make sure you have portals enabled at Edit -> Portals (each portal has its own enabled check box, and there's a global one too).
oxseyn
Wanderer

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 3:02 am   

Daern wrote:
It should. Make sure you have portals enabled at Edit -> Portals (each portal has its own enabled check box, and there's a global one too).

Thanks, that was the problem. :)
oxseyn
Wanderer

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 3:05 pm   

How would you go about disabling specific portal commands in specific rooms?
Daern
Sorcerer

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 3:32 pm   

You can enable and disable portals in a script with the %portalenabled function.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » CMUD General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: