Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
kshoggi
Beginner

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 9:32 am   

New to zmud. Simple Question

Hey I used to MUD on a mac using cantrip and Atlantis as clients. Now I'm using a PC but I'm missing some little feature. When I idled in those clients, sending no lines, I would get a new prompt every minute. That is to say it was the equivalent of sending a blank line every minute to the MUD (only when idlling).

This was merely convenient for knowing when to stand when regaining health and such without having to press enter (ie, switch window back to zmud and press enter).

On second thought an even better solution would be to have zmud show a line of text telling me right exactly when my prompt matches a certain string. Is this possible?

I'm hoping to get more competent with zmud soon! Thanks
charneus
Wizard

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 5:21 pm   

It most certainly is possible. As far as sending a line every minute, take a look at #ALARM. Since you're new, I'll let you see if you can figure out how to do it (so you learn in the process!). All the information you need is there, so you should have no trouble sending a blank line every minute.

As for showing a line of text when your prompt matches a certain string, you can use #SAY, #ECHO, #SHOW.

I do have a question, however. Is there a reason you chose zMUD over CMUD? CMUD has more advanced features and is currently the only program that's still in development. zMUD has no support outside what you get on the forums, meaning no bugs will be corrected, etc. Just a curious question.
kshoggi
Beginner

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 5:18 pm   

Hey thanks for your help. So I poked around and I can use #ALARM {10} {#ECHO ""} to send a blank line every 10 seconds (though i've no clue how to make that happen only when i'm sleeping/idle), and I can make an echo command that triggers when my prompt matches a certain string, but this means that I get the echo every 10 seconds sometimes when I only want to see it the first time. I was also wondering if there was a way for me to monitor my prompt *constantly* (maybe in a different window, if thats possible) rather than every x seconds.

also I'm using zmud because I had a friend that used it. I've never heard of cmud til now haha
charneus
Wizard

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 12:20 am   

If your prompt is always on display, you can create triggers and store information in variables that you can constantly display in a status window. If your prompt only shows up each time you type a command such as prompt, you can still display it in a separate window (even make gauges for it), but it won't be a constant stream of information.

As far as sleeping/idling goes, you can create triggers for the messages that will turn on/off an alarm. You can name your alarm by putting it in quotes before the time (#ALARM "IdleAlarm" {10} {#ECHO ""}, for example), then your trigger can do #T+ "IdleAlarm" and #T- "IdleAlarm". The #T+ turns triggers/classes/alarms on, the #T- turns them off. So, for instance...

Code:
#TRIGGER {You are now idle.} {#T+ "IdleAlarm"}
#TRIGGER {You are no longer idle.} {#T- "IdleAlarm"}
#TRIGGER {You fall into a deep sleep.} {#T+ "IdleAlarm"}
#TRIGGER {You awaken to a new day.} {#T- "IdleAlarm"}

You can even combine messages to declutter triggers, such as:
Code:
#TRIGGER {You {are now idle|fall into a deep sleep}.} {#T+ "IdleAlarm"}
#TRIGGER {You {are no longer idle|awaken to a new day}.} {#T- "IdleAlarm"}

Additionally, you don't need to do #ECHO "" to send a blank line. You can just do #CR to do the same thing.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » zMUD General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: