Play RetroMUD
cochrane
Beginner

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 3:16 am   

[CMUD Pro 3.34] Unable to launch saved session

System Info:

Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q9550 @ 2.83GHz (4 CPUs), ~2.8GHz
Memory: 8192MB RAM
Operating System: Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit (6.1, Build 7601) Service Pack 1 (7601.win7sp1_gdr.110408-1631)

Issue: I'm unable to launch any of my saved sessions once I have two sessions running. One of my session has four spawn windows, but the other does not. I have one spawn window separate, and the other three within the same window as tabbed spawns. I can open a new, unsaved session, but then I lose all my triggers and events for that session as it creates a new folder.

Thanks,

-- ZC
cochrane
Beginner

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 4:56 pm   

Some additional information: It seems that when I try to open up one saved session, it actually opens up the first one in the list.

Example: If I have four saved session (Alpha, Beta, Gamma, Delta), and I try to open Delta, it seems to keep opening Alpha consistently.

-- ZC
MattLofton
GURU

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 6:15 pm   

Your sessions.db file is most likely very fubared. Delete it, and recreate the user sessions you made.
Beginner

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 8:01 am   

Thanks. Wow, the db file got messed up after one day of use? That's alarming. How do I prevent this in the future? If I have a whole bunch of triggers/events on a session, I automatically lose them due to this?

-- ZC
Fizban1216
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 11:56 am   

Must agree, my sessions seem to become corrupted about once per week. It's quite annoying. As much as cMUD has a great featureset, it's still far buggier than I'd expect for having been initially released nearly 5 years ago.
cochrane
Beginner

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 2:10 pm   

That seems to have worked for me, but still alarmed at the frequency of the db corruption.

-- ZC
Daern
Sorcerer

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 4:18 pm   

You don't lose your triggers/events, after you recreate the sessions you just need to relink them to your package files.
MattLofton
GURU

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 5:46 pm   

Quote:

Wow, the db file got messed up after one day of use?

I dunno, did you delete it and did the problem go away after you did? I didn't say "yep, here's your problem", I just pointed you to a likely candidate. Telnet clients are mostly user data, and user data is notoriously vulnerable to corruption. Simply opening the application can subject user data to corruption.
Beginner

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 11:51 am   

Deleting the session.db did seem to resolve it, but then it recurred again this morning. I'm unable to open up the latest user session I created, now. :/

Quote:
Telnet clients are mostly user data, and user data is notoriously vulnerable to corruption.

That hasn't been my experience with session databases stored in other clients. Tinyfugue, for example, has held my stored user data for years without ever being corrupted. Even MUSHClient or SimpleMU never had such a problem this many times in succession. Or at all, actually.

Quote:
Simply opening the application can subject user data to corruption.

Simply opening up the application and corrupting data sounds like a bug, not a feature.

-- ZC
cochrane
Beginner

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 4:38 am   

Happened again today. It's like I can open up whatever I want right after starting the application, but about an hour or so in, I can't open any more sessions.

-- ZC
Fizban1216
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 5:18 pm   

I've found in the past that the order sessions are opened seems to matter at times.

ie. I have Session A and B running, I then try and open Session C, and it won't open. I then close A and B, and try opening C and it works.

By no means am I saying that I consider this an acceptable workaround, so much as mentioning it on the off chance that it helps Zugg know what might be causing the issue.
MattLofton
GURU

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2011 8:22 pm   

Send your packages through the XML export/import process. Use the SHIFT trick to reset your layouts. Use the MapConvert v1.3 utility to fix any brokenness with you rmapfile. Even try removing CMud and reinstall a fresh copy.
Beginner

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 6:24 pm   

Did the XML exports.
SHIFT trick didn't work.
Couldn't find the MapConvert utility anywhere.
Uninstalled and reinstalled CMUD.
Deleted old sessions.db and let it create a new one.
Imported session package files from their folders.

No dice, same problem after like a day of use.

Kind of glad there's a 30-day guarantee on this program, right now. Why is this not working for me?

-- ZC
cochrane
Beginner

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 6:51 pm   

As an added bonus, now my triggers aren't working anymore.

-- ZC
cochrane
Beginner

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 7:34 pm   

So, I uninstalled CMUD Pro again.
Deleted all regkeys related to anything Zuggsoft.
Installed it. It picked up my registration info right away, so I must've missed something.
I imported my XML file made above... still no worky! Nothing is triggering, no spawn windows are showing up.

Noticed a couple of things:

1) When it reinstalled, I got two Start Menu Program Folders: CMUD and CMUDPro, both have the same shortcut to the CMUDPro path.
2) My Trigger wizard is no longer allowing me to create viable triggers. I tried building them from scratch and now it's putting ampersand delimited commands in where a tilde should go.

My frustration at this product is beginning to mount. Can I get some attention from the developer, please? Is there a support ticket process I should follow? I've had this open over a week and I haven't heard from anyone outside of volunteers. I spent $40 on this app hoping for more. Do I get my money back and just go back to tinyfugue, which worked for me for 14 years-plus?

-- ZC
cochrane
Beginner

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 11:45 pm   

Tried installing it on another machine and it seems to work fine.

Is it possible that since I installed the trial version of both CMUD and CMUD Pro (uninstalled the first, before installing the second) that it might have caused a problem, here?

-- ZC
GickerLDS

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 12:07 am   

Sorry for necroing this thread. I found it with a google search and thought I'd post just to share a solution to the problem of a session not opening.

If you're running Windows 7, try the following:

Shut down CMUD completely.
Go to your CMUD profiles directory (My Documents\My Games\CMUD by default)
Find the sessions.db file
Right click it and look for "Restore Previous Version". Click that
If you have any old versions of the file in that list, highlight it and then click restore.
Run CMUD again and see if that fixed it for you.

Cheers,

Gicker
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » CMUD General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: