Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
Hazram
Wanderer

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 7:02 am   

Spellcheck?

I must be missing something. I have all spelling options checkmarked except autocorrect and ignore first word. I've searched the forums, and see references to right-clicking misspellings, the "default spelling dialog," "open the spell checker," and "In options you can also select custom dictionaries." but I see none of that, and no indication of misspellings. I do see the .adu file in my CMUD directory.

Are those posts out of date, or am I once again missing something obvious, which will turn on spellchecking?

I was hoping to replace abbreviations in my command line with their associated words by adding word entries to the spell-checker. I saw a post explaining how to do this with a trigger and database records, but I view that as a last resort. AutoHotkey is great for this - is that my only other alternative?
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 4:19 pm   

If spellchecking is enabled then just enter a mis-spelled work into the command line and it should show with a red squiggly line under it. Right click on the mis-spelled word and you'll see the spelling options.

I'm not sure this will work good enough to replace abbreviations in your command line. The better way to handle that is to add the abbreviations to your Tab Completion list (View/Tab Completion) so you enter your abbreviation and press Tab key to expand the command.

To use the spellchecker to try and do this you'll need to enable the AutoCorrect option.
Hazram
Wanderer

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 5:51 pm   

Right, nothing mysterious about the spellchecking. I had 'check spelling' enabled but got no red underlining; I made a new session and it worked. I dunno what was wrong.

The tab completion is nifty, I did consider that, I just want completion without hitting tab. I was thinking of autocorrect options like those in Word, where you can enter specific misspellings and the correct syntax for a word. I guess AutoHotkey might be best - it really is a useful (and very powerful) tool.
Daern
Sorcerer

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 9:55 pm   

You could always use a command input trigger with #sub to change your abbreviations into the full text.
Hazram
Wanderer

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 10:00 pm   

Yes, I considered that, too. I expect to have quite a few of these abbreviations - I'm not the fastest typist - and I'd like to use the most resource-efficient method possible. I'm not sure what that is, but I was feeling leery of adding dozens of oninput triggers. Maybe they would not be resource-expensive, since they would be verbatim matches. I guess I'll just have to try and see.
shalimar
GURU

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 11:41 am   

make database variable containing them all

#ADDKEY nickname {ted=teddy}
#ADDKEY nickname {xmas=Christmas}

#ONINPUT {%q({@nickname})%q} {#SUB {@{nickname.%1}}}

Edit: cant forget to make it only trigger off of complete words

Last edited by shalimar on Fri Aug 05, 2011 5:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
Daern
Sorcerer

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 2:21 pm   

That would be no more efficient than individual triggers. Even if it's only one trigger, it still has to check for a match on every item in the database.
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 6:22 pm   

Quote:
I was thinking of autocorrect options like those in Word, where you can enter specific misspellings and the correct syntax for a word.

That's what the AutoCorrect option in the spellchecking preferences is supposed to do. At least in theory. But CMUD uses a 3rd party spellchecking module so I'm not sure how fancy it really is.
Hazram
Wanderer

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 10:39 pm   

Yeah Autocorrect doesn't seem to do the Word "Autocorrect as you type" thing. Ah well. I suppose I could pay for the Addict software and experiment .. but I don't think this is a $50 problem for me.

AutoHotkey will watch the keyboard input and catch character strings, replacing them on the fly as you type. It is a scripting tool, but scripts can be compiled. I'm not sure if that would be more efficient than oninput trigger, but I have timed fairly complex Autohotkey scripts with DLL calls to the Windows clock, and it's pretty zippy.
Daern
Sorcerer

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 3:53 pm   

Zugg wrote:
Quote:
I was thinking of autocorrect options like those in Word, where you can enter specific misspellings and the correct syntax for a word.

That's what the AutoCorrect option in the spellchecking preferences is supposed to do. At least in theory. But CMUD uses a 3rd party spellchecking module so I'm not sure how fancy it really is.

It doesn't look very fancy at all, judging by the available options in the CMUD prefs. Is it possible that it can do more, but the other features just aren't integrated into CMUD?
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » CMUD General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: