Register to post in forums, or Log in to your existing account

Play RetroMUD
DraxDrax
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 5:45 am   

Separators can't show images [Bug? 3.33a]

If I have a button set as type separator and give it a bitmap image, the image is only visible when the mouse is hovering over the button.
Zugg
MASTER

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 4:19 pm   

I don't think separators were ever designed to show images, but you are correct that the behavior of showing the image when the mouse is hovering over the button is really odd. If the image can display with mouse-over, it seems like I could make it display normally too.

What do people think: should separator buttons show an image? I tried it in zMUD and just got "invalid imagelist" crashes, so it doesn't seem to work there either.
DraxDrax
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 4:51 pm   

I want to use separators to add purely visual, non-interactive elements to my UI. Things like borders, background images etc, over which or around which I can place interactive buttons. Right now I'm doing it with push buttons that have no value, and that works, but doing it that way causes the elements I want to be non-interactive to have borders and respond to clicks, which doesn't look good at all.
DraxDrax
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 8:51 am   

Zugg wrote:
What do people think: should separator buttons show an image? I tried it in zMUD and just got "invalid imagelist" crashes, so it doesn't seem to work there either.

Yes! and Bump!

With a full 100% of respondents in favor of the motion, Cmud separators should indeed show an image. Cool
shalimar
GURU

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 9:03 am   

I say Yes!
Wanderer

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 6:22 am   

trying to picture it, and sure that sound like a decent idea. Drax do you have a pic of what it looks like right now?
Wanderer

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 9:44 am   

I agree, I use this as well, to create borders around windows and spice up the look of the UI.
DraxDrax
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 3:53 pm   

Mixsel wrote:
trying to picture it, and sure that sound like a decent idea. Drax do you have a pic of what it looks like right now?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O7giK5icSeo

If you watch this video, you'll see that while the background is a 'push' type button, it moves when you click on it. When changed to a separator, it's only visible with the cursor hovering over it. Ideally, I would like a separator to be visible whether the cursor is over it or not, but do absolutely nothing when clicked.

I'd like to be able to make more sophisticated GUI's than this, using a combination of interactive and non-interactive elements layered together, but I gave up on trying to manage that when I discovered this issue, so I don't have a more elaborate example.
MattLofton
GURU

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 5:28 pm   

Drax, I found that if you set the value of the button to 1 and change the button to a Toggle type (value = 1 is the pressed-down state of the toggle), you can get a button that displays an image all the time and doesn't interact with the user except for the standardized right-clicking that loads up the package editor in button mode with the right-clicked button highlighted so you can edit it.

If I'm not mistaken, any code in this button will still execute because technically speaking the button still travels through the toggle up and toggle down states to get back to the controlling value of the Value property. This is entirely a moot point if you don't have any code in the button OR the output it produces doesn't travel to the main window (your button covers the entire window textspace, so you'd never see anything it produced).
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 5:47 pm   

Nice kludge, Matt, and thanks, that worked perfectly! Very Happy

I still hope Zugg will make the change, since the current behavior of separators with images is rather odd, but even if that doesn't happen, we've got a workaround.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Home » Forums » CMUD General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: